HiRez Poll Bowie, David - DAVID LIVE! [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of David Bowie - DAVID LIVE

• Total voters
As a lifelong Bowie fan, I've been waiting for these titles since January, and finally got them late last week.
So - lets start off with the niggles here first.
1 - The promised "original stereo mix in original running order" is not there.
2 - The stereo mix that is there is a downmix from the surround, and this is even confirmed in the liner notes.
3 - The "exclusive Photo Gallery" is in fact a collection of promotional posters and old single covers, generally pretty badly scanned.
4 - the stills in the actual disc, considering there are 21 tracks you would have thought a different shot for each track, as the gig was also filmed. There are 7, each one repeated 3 times.
5 - Not an issue for me, but compatibility here is poor. This is the first DVD-A doisc I have seen with no Dolby Digital stream, and no 16/48 stereo stream. So, playability is limited to those with Surround capable or DVD-A systems, and if your player cannot cope with DTS or 24 bit stereo, forget it.
I think the last point is going to possibly limit sales, or it may even be a start of a good thing where an automatic DD stream is no longer included. I cannot make up my mind here.
6 - DVD-A is at 24/48 - getting all too common these days.

On to the good stuff.
The new mixes are superb. It is by no means the usual "reverb in the rears, you're at row 30" mix. It's discrete, and well done too.
Also, the original vinyl version was (allegedly) culled from 2 performances at the Tower, if memory serves. It may not - I lost my original vinyl version years ago. This version is culled from all 5 nights at the Tower.

Bowie's vocal performance is simply superb - the quality just shines on through here. Pick of the bunch for what I mean is the reworking of "All The Young Dudes" done as a type of cabaret performance.
The band is the best he ever assembled until the Reality tour, and Earl Slick's guitar work is nothing short of stunning given that according to the liner notes, he had just graduated high school.

It's a real pleasure to play this show, and it sounds as if it was recorded a couple of years ago rather than the 31 years it has been.
It's a show I keep playing over and over right now, and each time I play it I keep heasring things I hadn't noticed before, and there are parts where Mike Garson's Piano is simply out of this world in it's sublimity. Check out "Aladdin Sane" for a good example of his touch.
Having the show back in the correct running order is also a bonus to me. The whole flow is better - and I seriously wonder what they were thinking of when the original vinyl version was put together.

When you consider it's from '74, it's stunning.
Apparently the only overdubs were a few BV's and some of the horn parts due to the players going off-mic during the gig.

Superb.
Highly recommended, and it makes me wonder what the rest of the remix projects are going to be like from Tony Visconti.
I marked it down because of the reasons above, and I still cannot for the life of me see why the release was delayed so long - it was completed in April 2004.
Released November 2005?
Why?

I enjoy "David Live" quite a bit, too! Interestingly, "David Live" tends to have more of a natural ambience type of surround mix---whereas "Stage" is somewhat experimental.

I went with a "7", which really is still pretty decent, IMO. I was torn a little bit between a 7 or an 8. I went with the 7 since I earlier gave "Stage" an 8 and I felt "Stage" was better than "David Live". That said, I definately recommend this DVD-A for Bowie fans.

Really enjoyed this. Its quite shocking how little footage of the Great Man in his prime is available.Itd be great if someone did a Zepp with his early live material.
I also hope 'Young Americans' makes it as a Dvd-A when its releaed.

~M~

Just gave this one a spin and my general impressions are quite good. Overall, the sound quality (considering it is a live show) is right up there. The surround mix works very well and you do get a sense of "being there". The discrete audience elements go a long way to help achieve this.

A few complaints... there is simply too much reverb for my liking. It is not overpowering, but it is noticeable and I find it annoying and distracting. I also found the sound too bright for my liking. I thought this might be an inherent part of the recording, but the liner notes state "I think [the sound] is fuller and brighter than the original and that took some tricks with modern technology." Okay, Tony, but to this listener "brighter" is not better, but thanks for the "fuller" part. Finally, the slide-show and visual interface feel half-baked, but I really don't care about that very much.

Despite the complaints, this is a very enjoyable disc, however it could have been a lot better. A missed opportunity to deliver something truly spectacular. As it is, I give it a 7.

NOTE: Added scan (in Post #1) from U.S. Bought DVD-A (at Best Buy)

I'm late getting this; what a GREAT disc! I should've been all over this when it came out but it was all about ELP & Crimson then. I enjoyed the Ryko CD re-issue but that doesn't even come close to this! Hoping for more soon...

had this ages can't believe I had not voted on it now rectified.

Now if More of david original albums would be released in Surround I could be happy as could my bank manager but not my wife.

An "8".

It doesn't work as well in surround as the "Stage" DVDA and the fidelity's not as good as that disc.

I do prefer his band and "sound" at this point in his career but his voice was a bit too affected by the old Bolivian marching powder at this point and it shows. The energy levels at times though are bordering on infectious!

I wish I'd given it a "9" now..
Knock on Wood.. D'oh!

Excellent mix and sound for a concert from '74. The band is terrific (although I'm not a big David Sanborn fan), Earl Slick in particular shines throughout. Unfortunately Mike Garson's excellent piano work is often buried, I suspect because of the technical issues involved (there's some notable distortion is spots). Great music and a great document of Bowie in '74 before yet another major change in direction. A 9 for me.

Excellent mix and sound for a concert from '74. The band is terrific (although I'm not a big David Sanborn fan), Earl Slick in particular shines throughout. Unfortunately Mike Garson's excellent piano work is often buried, I suspect because of the technical issues involved (there's some notable distortion is spots). Great music and a great document of Bowie in '74 before yet another major change in direction. A 9 for me.
I agree. Mike Garson should have been more prominent in the mix. The horns are excessive and monotonous. I usually stop listening after a few songs.

Back