DVD/DTS Poll Bowie, David - Reality [DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of David Bowie - REALTY

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Last edited:
Would love to, but cannot get this in the UK so far.
None of the usual online retailers are carrying this at all - best I have found so far is a "grand" total of 20 DualDiscs on Play.com

Anyone know why we cannot get so much stuff in the UK?

I gave it a 7 rating. The music is OK, certainly not his best work but not too bad. The mix makes good use of the 5.1 channels although it is only Dolby Digital. The Reality video is a good feature. This is a better than average 5.1 release.

neil wilkes said:
Would love to, but cannot get this in the UK so far.
None of the usual online retailers are carrying this at all - best I have found so far is a "grand" total of 20 DualDiscs on Play.com

Anyone know why we cannot get so much stuff in the UK?

No one has really launched yet except Silverline. I recommend cheap-cds.com Neil, they ship over here,,,

I've got it, but I want the SACD which is impossible to find...

Giving this one a 7, purely because the Dolby Digital encoding is almost completely lacking in detail. It's just not there.
This, though, has always been the problem with perceptual encoders - you cannot throw out 11/12 of your data and not seriously expect consequences.
It's a real shame that Sony could not see fit to at least include a DTS stream, as this only throws out 3/4 of the Audio - keeping almost twice as much data.

Apart from this gripe, it's a good mix. Not too aggressive, not too passive. In places it plods a little, but this is due in part to the (IMHO) wrong bass player being used on the album.
Mark Plati plays bass here - but live he is demoted to third guitar and Gail Ann Dorsey takes over the 4 string duties. If you have heard any of these tracks live, then you'll understand my point I think.

In summary - thanks for the multichannel mixes. That is a step in the right direction. Now, if only Sony can for once stop trying to damage the whole multichannel thing with their incessant insistence on splitting the market all the time.

Giving this one a 7, purely because the Dolby Digital encoding is almost completely lacking in detail.
Apart from this gripe, it's a good mix. Not too aggressive, not too passive. In places it plods a little, but this is due in part to the (IMHO) wrong bass player being used on the album.
Mark Plati plays bass here - but live he is demoted to third guitar and Gail Ann Dorsey takes over the 4 string duties. If you have heard any of these tracks live, then you'll understand my point I think.

Actually, Tony Visconti plays some of the bass on this album too. But yes, I wish DB had used Gail Ann Dorsey in the studio more--the live versions kick.

Robert
www.myspace.com/jetblackfactory

I bought this today on a used dualdisc for about $5. Has plenty of scratches on the dvd side. Is the stuttering at the beginning of track 2 normal? Anyone have a SACD they want to sell for a reasonable price?

Actually, Tony Visconti plays some of the bass on this album too. But yes, I wish DB had used Gail Ann Dorsey in the studio more--the live versions kick.

Robert

I also have the version with CD/DVD, where the DVD is the whole album played live at the Riverside Studios in Hammersmith by the live band.
Sounds far better than the studio version.

I bought this today on a used dualdisc for about $5. Has plenty of scratches on the dvd side. Is the stuttering at the beginning of track 2 normal? Anyone have a SACD they want to sell for a reasonable price?

Yes, the glitchy sound at the beginning of track 2 is meant to be that way.

for me, this one is pretty disappointing, musicwise and soundwise. A '3'

My old post from the old days (#11) is still here. I've since returned the dualdisc to FYE and snagged a sealed SACD off Amazon for $40. This was all some time ago.

I quite liked the CD version of reality but the 5.1 mix on the DD is lacking something probably due to the crappy enbcoding. The Mix is OK but not going to set the world alight thats for sure. the extra stuff adds to the value for money, but I would happily have lost some of it in exchange for a higher resolution 5.1 mix.

Most of the album seems to be a pretty average 5.1 mix, but I thought the final track - "Bring Me the Disco King" - was done very well, and made it well worth the admission price.

IMO, Loneliest Guy also benefits greatly from this 5.1 mix. I never liked it much in estereo.
In 5.1 it breathes and has atmosphere that is very important to the mood.
I'd love to hear this album in hires someday!!!

I'm late to this one, although not at all unfamiliar with the album , which I already own the CD and recently re-issued vinyl.

Reality is one of his better post 80s releases and this mix certainly adds a new perspective on it. The mix is neither mind-blowing nor terrible. It feels "safe" but I do wish there had been a DTS version on here. DD usually leaves me cold.

That said, this disc has good content and the whole thing feels like a good package. I'd like to compare it to the SACD one day.

So, after all that, I give it a solid 8. Maybe, now that the great man has passed, we might see someone revisit the studio albums with a set of consistent 5.1 mixes of them all. A Wilson/Visconti co-production, perhaps?

Back