DVD/DTS Poll Bowie, David - Station To Station [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of David Bowie - STATION TO STATION

• Total voters
Based on the Young Americans mix (and his history with Bowie) Visconti is the perfect person to do any future 5.1 mixes of Bowie material. Even being 'merely' a DTS disc, the 5.1 mix of Young Americans is sublime and I think you'd struggle to better it.

I love Steven Wilson as much as the next guy, but he doesn't have to be the only guy out there doing 5.1 mixes. The more (good) engineers and producers out there getting 5.1 remix work, the better - it pushes the art and science forward and leads to not only more things being released, but better mixes too...steel sharpens steel and all that.

Based on the Young Americans mix (and his history with Bowie) Visconti is the perfect person to do any future 5.1 mixes of Bowie material. Even being 'merely' a DTS disc, the 5.1 mix of Young Americans is sublime and I think you'd struggle to better it.

I love Steven Wilson as much as the next guy, but he doesn't have to be the only guy out there doing 5.1 mixes. The more (good) engineers and producers out there getting 5.1 remix work, the better - it pushes the art and science forward and leads to not only more things being released, but better mixes too...steel sharpens steel and all that.

I agree. Young Americans IS sublime! I played it the other night....call it a commemoration. And a VERY danceable album back in the day. And more so today with Visconti's stunning remix. Has DTS ever sounded more seductive?

The need for new mixers is paramount 'to the cause.' The more, the merrier and I would like to see some current popular artists across ALL genres represented in 5.1 on physical disc before the momentum fades altogether for these formats.

I agree. Young Americans IS sublime! I played it the other night....call it a commemoration. And a VERY danceable album back in the day. And more so today with Visconti's stunning remix. Has DTS ever sounded more seductive?

The need for new mixers is paramount 'to the cause.' The more, the merrier and I would like to see some current popular artists across ALL genres represented in 5.1 on physical disc before the momentum fades altogether for these formats.

IMO Tony's 5.1 mix of Young Americans elevates the album greatly!

Neil W, as always , is spot on...

It would be VERY interesting to find out the results from Adam's experiments sound like, since, other than that, there is no redeeming value to this mess...

I give it a very generous 3.

and that's a LOT!!!!

Neil W, as always , is spot on...

It would be VERY interesting to find out the results from Adam's experiments sound like, since, other than that, there is no redeeming value to this mess...

I give it a very generous 3.

and that's a LOT!!!!

Well there's some cool things going on in the remix, its just a shame most of its buried in the original presentation, or drowned out by the fronts, etc.. anyway let me know if you want to hear my 1st attempt at a humble 'rejig' of "Stay" (lots of kooky synths in the rears throughout!) when I get more time I'm gonna have a proper play around with it all (though I am reluctant to do anymore until I truly suss the Denon or just get a new AVR, I just can't get the channel levels the way I want them, which makes doing this kind of thing tricky getting the channels balanced.. to say the least! :D ) PM me for a sample! :)

Last edited:
Well there's some cool things going on in the remix, its just a shame most of its buried in the original presentation, or drowned out by the fronts, etc.. anyway let me know if you want to hear my 1st attempt at a humble 'rejig' of "Stay" (lots of kooky synths in the rears throughout!) when I get more time I'm gonna have a proper play around with it all (though I am reluctant to do anymore until I truly suss the Denon or just get a new AVR, I just can't get the channel levels the way I want them, which makes doing this kind of thing tricky getting the channels balanced.. to say the least! :D ) PM me for a sample! :)

Were you able to make this sound any better? If you did get around to messing with this I would like to get your settings and make a better version myself. I messed with Stormbringer the other day and it was worth the effort. TIA

Were you able to make this sound any better? If you did get around to messing with this I would like to get your settings and make a better version myself. I messed with Stormbringer the other day and it was worth the effort. TIA

Several of us have tried fixing it. There is nothing to fix. The surrounds are 99% of the time just filled with garbage. It's better to just upmix from a good stereo mastering.

Can someone help me?
I am losing my mind.

Some years ago, I received SOMETHING by mail that had this album in 5.1. Pretty sure I bought it. I know I listened to the 5.1 mix one time and was unimpressed.

I looked through all my discs and can't find it.
I don't remember a box set.
Is this a multidisc set in a standard-size case?
What did it originally sell for?
No way I woukd have paud a box-set rice for this.
Was there ever a single-disc release?
What did it look like?

Worse, I can't find it among a decade of amazon US orders.
I very well might have nought it from amazon Uk or canada.
Ugh.

Thanks bundles.

Can someone help me?
I am losing my mind.

Some years ago, I received SOMETHING by mail that had this album in 5.1. Pretty sure I bought it. I know I listened to the 5.1 mix one time and was unimpressed.

Sounds like you may have lucked out and gotten the Promo box (mentioned way above).

I'd be envious (that is, if you found it, lol).

Can someone help me?
I am losing my mind.

What did it originally sell for?
No way I woukd have paud a box-set rice for this.
Was there ever a single-disc release?
What did it look like?

Worse, I can't find it among a decade of amazon US orders.
I very well might have nought it from amazon Uk or canada.
Ugh.

Thanks bundles.

Here ya go Eggplant check this thread https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-SACD-Releases&p=360145&highlight=#post360145 they were just talking about it yesterday Post 1759 and on down hope this helps

Several of us have tried fixing it. There is nothing to fix. The surrounds are 99% of the time just filled with garbage. It's better to just upmix from a good stereo mastering.
Funny but true:giggle:

Nothing is discrete in this mix by Harry Maslin. (Who also produced half of Young Americans, including Fame)

I listened to the rears and there was something non-garbage there 1% of the time, but it was also in the fronts. Like the guitar that starts at 7:45 Title track. Or the finger snaps and handclaps at the start of Golden Years... also in the fronts.

And why the "new" snare drum sound? :unsure: It's always interesting with a new stereo mix, but the snare drum sound ruins it for me.

Great Sound? Not anymore. Great Mix? Horrible. Great Content? Ok, but too expensive.

vs Young Americans: Yes, Yes and Yes (even video content, and a picture for each song)

PS
Is Wild is the Wind a different take? Listen to the "Don't you know you're Life itself" (my favorite part)
Here ca 2:00 (Tony Visconti on bass, video made in 1981)

I know there are some creative members on this forum. Have any of you crafty fellows done an Upmix of STS ?
The original RCA CD and Original Analogue Master, (96/24 LPCM Stereo) were included in this set. They would both be a good source for an Upmix.
Just dreaming,
Beefalo

I know there are some creative members on this forum. Have any of you crafty fellows done an Upmix of STS ?
The original RCA CD and Original Analogue Master, (96/24 LPCM Stereo) were included in this set. They would both be a good source for an Upmix.
Just dreaming,
Beefalo

I can't be the only one here who has heard an amazing upmix of this album. The one I've, uh, "seen" is FLAC 24/44.1, but absolutely anonymous--no info on who did it or what technique was used. Center-channel vocals and discrete instrument placement. I'd love to be able to give credit (and to know how it was done!).

I can't be the only one here who has heard an amazing upmix of this album. The one I've, uh, "seen" is FLAC 24/44.1, but absolutely anonymous--no info on who did it or what technique was used. Center-channel vocals and discrete instrument placement. I'd love to be able to give credit (and to know how it was done!).

Do you know when this upmix was made / "released"? I have an upmix of S2S (original mix) from 2010, but it's quite bad...

Do you know when this upmix was made / "released"? I have an upmix of S2S (original mix) from 2010, but it's quite bad...

It's a mystery...although it seems to be sourced from the Ryko edition, as it has the two live bonus tracks. I can't remember anything else about where I even came across it (in late 2017 or early 2018).

I haven't heard DKA's upmix (from 2010 or so?), but from descriptions I've read, this isn't it.

It's a mystery...although it seems to be sourced from the Ryko edition, as it has the two live bonus tracks. I can't remember anything else about where I even came across it (in late 2017 or early 2018).

I haven't heard DKA's upmix (from 2010 or so?), but from descriptions I've read, this isn't it.

"Center-channel vocals..." The 2010 upmix has no vocals in the center-channel...

David Bowie - Station to Station (SPEC DTS 5.1 from Analog Master by DKA) (SBU) (n)

Theres' a thread here ... on DKA https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dka-stereo-to-5-1-surround-upmixes-thoughts.349285/"I've got quite a few - he's one of the better guys doing the upmixes. It's surprising how enjoyable they can be -
his Station to Station is in many ways better than the official 5.1 mix that came out. " (this doesn't say much, better drum sound :cool:)

Some last words? "We the people".
This says it all: In a league of its own, Rock Bottom:

S2S Poll chart.jpg

QuadraphonicQuad - Surround Polls

Back