DVD/DTS Poll Bowie, David - The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust (DTS/Dolby)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of David Bowie - THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST

• Total voters
Too right, I totally agree with you! Every single time with the Bowie boxes & 5.1 releases, EMI has screwed up in some shape or form :(

Although on the respect thing, I do wonder how bothered Bowie himself is about these re-releases.. and if he doesn't care, maybe that comes through in the finished (lacking) product..?!?

I know a guy who knows both Bowie and Tony Visconti. I asked him if he thought Bowie had ever heard those mixes, and he said "probably not." Take that for what third-party information is worth, though.

I know a guy who knows both Bowie and Tony Visconti. I asked him if he thought Bowie had ever heard those mixes, and he said "probably not." Take that for what third-party information is worth, though.

I suspect it's (very sadly) bang on the money, DKA :(

at least we know that Elton himself actually heard Greg Penny's GYBR 5.1 mix and loved it so much he then said, "Do the Lot!".. even if he is probably clueless to this day that "the lot" never got released..!!

Such a shame.
Ziggy should be awesome in 5.1, not the limp-wristed effort that Ken Scott made of it - and it's really better not to even think of the mess Harry Malin made of STS.......
On the other hand, Visconti made a pretty good job of YA & Reality (not sure who mixed Heathen though) and even though a lot of people don't like it, I also think he did a good job on T-Rex's Electric Warrior. If Visconti did the rest of the catalogue - properly - it would definitely be a lot better.

Ziggy should be awesome in 5.1, not the limp-wristed effort that Ken Scott made of it - and it's really better not to even think of the mess Harry Malin made of STS.......

You could take just about ANY upmixing method and do a better job - This isn't me trying to sell myself as being able to do it better. There is simply more detail and space in both the stereo mixes here than there is on either the 5.1 jobs. How a 5.1 mix can be a regression in that sense from the stereo boggles the mind (same goes for the Rush mixes.)

Bowie's had his health problems in recent years, but anyone I've talked to or read about who's seen him says he physically looks fantastic. It's about self-preservation for him now. It'd be great if he really did have a hand at everything that was coming out with his name on it, but he has a beautiful wife, lives in a beautiful city, and may want to enjoy his life now. His being someone who has really never stopped evolving as an artist, even into his 60's, my hope is that there is still new music left in the man I named my only son after.

You could take just about ANY upmixing method and do a better job - This isn't me trying to sell myself as being able to do it better. There is simply more detail and space in both the stereo mixes here than there is on either the 5.1 jobs. How a 5.1 mix can be a regression in that sense from the stereo boggles the mind (same goes for the Rush mixes.)

I could not agree more.

Bowie's had his health problems in recent years, but anyone I've talked to or read about who's seen him says he physically looks fantastic. It's about self-preservation for him now. It'd be great if he really did have a hand at everything that was coming out with his name on it, but he has a beautiful wife, lives in a beautiful city, and may want to enjoy his life now. His being someone who has really never stopped evolving as an artist, even into his 60's, my hope is that there is still new music left in the man I named my only son after.

THere was the angioplasty towards the end of the Reality tour, but that is routine these days and not that serious.
It could well be he is enjoying the family life, and of all people he has very little left to prove to anyone - although a new release would be great.
Even an official release of "Toy" would be a start, as I swear my CD copy is MP3 sourced.

Incoming email too.....

that's killing me also. just asked on twitter @Rush, did they heard their latest "Clockwork Angel"
before it hit the retailers. it's sounds terrible and i have no way to ask for refund as mine version
came from HDTracks.
i think HDTrack should supply screenshot of waveform analysis beside release.
in this particular case $20 was a pure waste of money as such mastering has only one purpose - to develop ears's cancer.

that's killing me also. just asked on twitter @Rush, did they heard their latest "Clockwork Angel"
before it hit the retailers. it's sounds terrible and i have no way to ask for refund as mine version
came from HDTracks.
i think HDTrack should supply screenshot of waveform analysis beside release.
in this particular case $20 was a pure waste of money as such mastering has only one purpose - to develop ears's cancer.

I'd write to them & ask for a refund.
And tell them why as well.

I'd write to them & ask for a refund.
And tell them why as well.

too right! vote with your wallet! it might be the only way the labels get wind there's a problem with substandard product if enough people complain to sellers like HD Tracks seeking refunds. if nobody says anything, they'll never know there's a problem, yeah!?

Music: 9. I love this album (like most every one). Other than Bowie's "Berlin Period" this is one of my favorite albums. Man, Marc Bolan really cribbed Bowie's backing vocal harmonies for Electric Warrior from this album.

Sonics/Mix: 6. A six is being generous. Needless to say, I agree with all the points made in much more detail than I could ever muster concerning the 5.1 mix, audio compression (this is like half the bit rate of Young Americans, an album released 5 years before this one. SQ is just getting worse), dynamic compression, and mastering according to the format. There are some fun moments in this mix but it just sounds so damn thin. There is no sense of the sonics having any dimensionality to them. They sound fractured and brittle (digital-y). Not liquid, warm, and enveloping. A missed opportunity and an album that deserves much better...I'm really getting tired of writing summation like that over and over. I really hope the 5.1 sacd's from Steve Hoffman breathe some life back into 5.1.
Overall: 6

I really liked the 5.1 mix. Maybe because I am such a fan of the album, I often play this in 5.1.

Oh no, i’ve just won this set on ebay, came here to see the verdict and feel like crying, this is one of my all time favourite albums and was chuffed to bits at getting it under £40. Now i’m wishing I had never seen it

Oh no, i’ve just won this set on ebay, came here to see the verdict and feel like crying, this is one of my all time favourite albums and was chuffed to bits at getting it under £40. Now i’m wishing I had never seen it
Hey, listen to it with an open mind, you might still like it!

There's also a 2022 Atmos mix on the streaming services, hopefully we can get that on a Blu Ray someday... SDE, maybe?

Don't let others judge the music you like . I'm certain you'll be the best judge of your surround selections.

BTW I love this album and the 2 surround selections , one as is and the instrumental mix.

Back