• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

DVD/DTS Poll Bowie, David - Young Americans (DTS/DD DVD-V)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the Audio-DVD of David Bowie - YOUNG AMERICANS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics & Bad Content

• Total voters

rusinurbe

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Listened to it a number of times now. very much a disc of discovery for me, i did not think that I liked the old 'plastic soul' Bowie, But i do like 'Glam' Bowie and 'Spaceboy' Bowie.

Given that theer is so little new surround arround i took the plunge and what a surprise a lot of great music, and very much better sounding that i was expecting.
The suround mix is one of Tony Visconties ( I was dissappointed with Electric Warrior) better surround mixes, and suits the music very well.

very much a Tumbs up(y) for the music and mix and a thumbs down for not including a MLP track. But the DTS really belts out and would be difficult to beat.

:banana:

TRAINMAN92

i have a denon 2910 so it wasn't hard to go to PAL it was more like 3.1 on most tracks then 5.1 but great sonic's i gave it an 8/trainman92

Manmc

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Great listen !
Dropped it to an 8 tho for no mlp ! Bloody execs !

~M~

neil wilkes

I love this stuff, but again - this one loses 2 marks for me for the following:
1 - No Lossless stream. This is really starting to become annoying, and I suspect it is the way that it is all going unless we start something NOW.
DVD Album = Fobbed off with lossy streams.
2 - Missing track from the Dick Cavett show (footstompin')

Otherwise, superb.

ClarkNovak

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I just got a copy and listened last night. The DTS mix is pretty good, I thought; I like how the background singers occupy the rear channels. You can really hear the mix open up in 5.1; it feels much airier than the compressed stereo mix we've heard all these years.

I did think that the low end was a little thin, though; I kept fiddling with my sub to fill out the bottom to my liking. I especially noticed this on "Fame", where the low brass punches in near the end. I'm used to hearing that big "whoomp" of the Sousaphone.

I rated it a "7", mostly because of the lack of bottom end I perceived.

PossumPete

I'm glad to hear other talk about the thin low end. I thought it was my new system at first but I do think it it the mix on this disc. Still, I like the music and it is in MC, so it's a winner in my book.

chuckflhp

I don't know what you guys mean about a thin bottom end. It absolutely slams on my system. And thats with the sub off. I gave it a 9. Great, lively mix. Worth it for "Fame" alone.

timbre4

Super Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Very pleasant 5.1 experience; better than averate DTS job they should be proud of. In these brain-dead record label days I am happy I can have it in this form if commercial DVD-A is on hiatus for the time being.

More Bowie 5.1 please, Aladdin Sane! Diamong Dogs!

Manmc

300 Club - QQ All-Star
This and the ( surprisingly ! ) good Paul Mc Cartney set along with the 'Crossroads' concert are occupying my system for Christmas ! I turn off the screen on Mc Cartney , some real poor videos on there .

~M~

PodCat

Since 2002/2003
It's August 1975.

I'm 13 and off to school on Sept 7.

Depressing thought, so I lift the dust cover of my Dual turntable, put on my newly-released RCA CD-4 of Young Americans. Drop the arm -- gently -- on Fame.
The #1 song played every ten minutes on B-100 FM is now coming out of my quad system in perfect discrete sound, as good as I could ever imagined.

But something's wrong.

Something's right. So right, it's wrong.
I don't hear my Harmon Kardon demodulator "bump" into CD-4 mode. The red light doesn't come on. There's no crackle, no distortion. No hiss! Even at 13, I know this can't be. My room starts swirling, following the circling synth stabs.

I wake up in 2007. Yes, it was all a dream.
Yet somehow -- improbably -- all true.

If there is a God, he must love quad.

Last edited:

surroundophile

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Listened to this after Christmas. Nice mix of songs, although I'm only familiar with his hits here and covers. Used DTS (my processer says DTS-ES Discreet, but nothing comes out of the back surround). Most of the mixes are great, kinda 70's quad style!
Music:8
Mix : 9.5

kvsawilson

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I like this one a lot. Can't say I'm a huge Bowie fan but have enjoyed both this one and the Ziggy sacd. Wish it were hi-res, but we have to get surround sound where we can and the DTS track does sound pretty good. Not every track is solid, but enough of it is that I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a new surround experience.

K

filper

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
This disc is what surround is all about.

I've probably played most of these tunes close to a thousand times since the LP was released.

I'm hearing sounds that I've never heard before on any kind of gear.

The bottom end is full and perfect for the dts mix.

I'm giving it a 10+. This presentation is exemplary and a lucky find for me.

I tip my hat to Tony Visconti for his brilliant work (back then) and now for the surround mix.

I love this disc.

callmez

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Excellent disc throughout, and particularly "Fame". Never thought much of that tune before but I've certainly gained a new appreciation for it after hearing this 5.1 mix. I vote 9.

Mark Z

The Rang

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Does anyone know what the resolution of the stereo LPCM tracks are?

The 'copy' I have sounds good in 2 channel (much better than the Ryko).
Is there any indication on the packaging?

alk3997

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Is this in 6.1?! Does nothing come out of the back middle the whole album?
Nope - DTS 96/24. I believe DTS 96/24 and DTS-ES are mutually exclusive because there isn't enough bandwidth for both (prior to Blu-Ray versions of DTS, of course).

Packaging is lousy in that it doesn't even have a DTS logo, let alone what type of DTS.

Andy

wolfram

Got it at last and the surround mix is amazing. Why oh why can't "Ziggy" sound like this? :mad: Gave it a 9 because it would sound much better as a lossless DVD-A on my system (though the DTS 24/96 isn't bad at all). "Fame" is mindbogglingly cool.

Give me "Hunky Dory" with a mix as good as this one next and I might be able to forgive the bad mix on "Ziggy". Maybe...

Group builder