• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

DVD/DTS Poll Bowie, David - Young Americans [DTS/DD DVD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the Audio-DVD of David Bowie - YOUNG AMERICANS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics & Bad Content

• Total voters

DKA

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Got it at last and the surround mix is amazing. Why oh why can't "Ziggy" sound like this? :mad: Gave it a 9 because it would sound much better as a lossless DVD-A on my system (though the DTS 24/96 isn't bad at all). "Fame" is mindbogglingly cool.

Give me "Hunky Dory" with a mix as good as this one next and I might be able to forgive the bad mix on "Ziggy". Maybe...
I agree. This is a solid mix. It came out after I had done a version of my own, and I could very clearly pick out places in the professional mix that I just wouldn't be able to get to myself. Incredibly nice, with excellent separation, while still remaining faithful to the album. Hands down, the best of the professional Bowie mixes.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I gave it a "9" a few years ago and I still feel the same, it's a really wonderful open, airy, discrete mix of some incredible music!

The few things that detract from it being a perfect "10" are the lack of a silent bit before the title track starts to let the DTS decoder kick in (I always miss the first bit of the drum intro on my setup because of it!) ... the overloud background music in the menus.. Oh and how it is so hard to easily playback the DTS without the telly on to navigate the menus!

Apart from that, superb!

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
A 9 from me.
10 yard penalty for being LOSSY..
The rest is topnotch (except for the REALLY LOUD menu music...it should be a rule..NO MUSIC IN DVD-A/Vs !!!)...
Also, nice packaging...

rusinurbe

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Probably the best of the Bowie Surround mixes, at least there is stuff happening when it should and some descrete elements to the mix.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Probably the best of the Bowie Surround mixes, at least there is stuff happening when it should and some descrete elements to the mix.
totally with you, it's my most-played 5.1 Bowie.

the Reality albums not bad either in surround, if you're inclined to give anything post-Scary Monsters a try, which seems to be the last great album he made in a lot of people's eyes, something I don't entirely agree with but there you go..

DKA

totally with you, it's my most-played 5.1 Bowie.

the Reality albums not bad either in surround, if you're inclined to give anything post-Scary Monsters a try, which seems to be the last great album he made in a lot of people's eyes, something I don't entirely agree with but there you go..
There's merit in just about every Bowie album after that. Hell, even "Tonight" has "Blue Jean" on it. I actually think anything from "Outside" on are very good albums. He never stopped trying to be original.

I agree that this and "Heathen" are the only Bowie mixes which are an enjoyable listen. This is very good, in fact.

doppelbock

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
This was always one of those Bowie albums I never got into, so even seeing the positive remarks here didn't get me to spring for the set. But the Mrs is a bigger Bowie fan than I am and she also never got it before as she was never set up for 5.1...now she of course wanted it so I ordered a copy.

It's a very well done 5.1 mix and I actually found myself enjoying the music more than I ever did before. I score it a 9...lost one for DTS and mot MLP. A surprisingly very welcome addition to the collection.

paligap

QQ Supporter
I rated this a 9. I was familiar with only two or three songs, but I enjoyed all of them. The Dick Cavett stuff was interesting.

dr8track

Since 2002/2003
The only Bowie album I've ever owned was Space Oddity, which I have always loved. I've been familiar with Bowie hits through the years, but I'd never heard this album before. I really, really like it. I love the music Bowie was creating during this era when he was influenced by American soul. It's also a nice bonus that Lennon appears on the album.
The Cavett interview was uncomfortable to watch. I don't know who seemed more awkward on camera, Cavett or Bowie.
But the music on the album is great. It's got the two big hits, Fame and Young Americans, but some of the other tunes are probably some of my favorites. I love It's Gonna Be Me (With Strings). I give this one a 9 and I'm grateful that this thread was resurrected because I never was even aware of this disc previously.

IMachine

QQ Supporter
"It's gonna be me" is actually in heavy rotation.
I love that listening in the evening with lights turned off.

Great song and great sound.

I gave 9. Simply the best Bowie surround release.

blue.monk

Excellent surround mix. Much better than Ziggy and infinitely better than the abysmal Station to Station mix. My only complaint is the lossy format.

Overfloater8

Music: 6. Not my favorite Bowie album, but I certainly admire the sudden change in style. More of an album that I admire than enjoy. A mixed bag experiment.
Mix/Sonics: 8. Strange my receiver registers this disc as 24/96, but my BD player states it is 24/48. In any event, the sonics sound much fuller than Ziggy Stardust 5.1. To my ears this is a conservative enveloping mix, but I'm not complaining. To address the earlier posts complaining about a lack of low end, I must disagree. This album gave my sub a workout. Overall, I would give it a 7. Points detracted for music and no MLP.

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Like many others, I was only familiar with "Young Americans" and "Fame", but this album has so much more to offer. From start to finish there are smooth, pleasing R&B grooves to be found. The only song that doesn't really work for me is Fascination, but hey, that's what ">>|" is for! The surround mix is fantastic, with discrete background singers in the surrounds and David Sanborn's sax isolated in various speakers depending on the song. The fidelity sounds full and dynamic. Another side of Bowie that I'm really digging! An 8.

bossfan

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I gave this one a nine for many of the reasons above. Definitely worth getting if you can find one.

Cibola

QQ Supporter
I listened to Young Americans this week and enjoyed it. It's a bit "bright" to my ears (and the menu music is way too loud) but it has such a unique soulful feel that I give the content a ten. I need a proper session to rate the mix and fidelity.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I purchased this surround disc the day after Bowies death. I have given it a 10, likely because of the emotion of his passing but I was really surprised at the great sounding, very active discrete mix. Yes, I can also go to that place of not enough bottom (bass) but that view point is highly critical and this disc based solely on sonics is super good. Really great song is Somebody Up There Likes Me, with the song ending Bowie front center and back up singers rear right and left, going back and forth, awesome. Menu is a little screwy, I picked DTS 5.1 as my listening choice, hit play and was coming out in stereo, usually that is all you have to do, this DVD, you have to hit the first track for it to engage the audio of your choice, this threw me off for a second.
So glad I have this disc.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Just uploaded scans for this one to Bob's original 2007 post.

This is a strange release. Not sure why EMI didn't make this an SACD (like Ziggy), probably because they wanted to include the videos. But at least it's 24/96 DTS, which is as close as you can get to HiRez perfection. I still cannot understand why these labels refused to take the tiny effort it would take to add the AUDIO_TS files to make it a DVD-A as well as a DVD-V. It's kind of a big F U to everyone who bought their earlier DVD-A product and players.

BUT, I digress. This is a fine mix, although it's almost a quad mix. The center channel is presented at a much lower volume level than the main 4, and it's basically drums and Bowie, but his vocal and the drums are louder in the front left and right, so they absorbed into the audio presentation. I would bet if you didn't have a center speaker you would not miss a thing in the mix.

The DTS 24/96 sounds great and the mix is way worthy with the background singers where they belong and the audio spread around so you know you have a surround mix without going "I think I heard something back there, but I wasn't sure".

The "hits" are great, and the album tracks grow on you. Overall, this is a 9 for me. Again, where's my DVD-A track????
Especially since it says "DVD Audio" on the back cover! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bowie Arrow.jpg

ARGGHHH!!

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
I still cannot understand why these labels refused to take the tiny effort it would take to add the AUDIO_TS files to make it a DVD-A as well as a DVD-V. It's kind of a big F U to everyone who bought their earlier DVD-A product and players.

Overall, this is a 9 for me. Again, where's my DVD-A track????
Especially since it says "DVD Audio" on the back cover! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

View attachment 24922

ARGGHHH!!
Seriously, so glad to see that someone else is fired up and angry about these injustices we have been served over the years when it comes to DVD-A/V vs DVD-V. I'm giving this disc a '9' for the exact same reason that you are.

Content: 3/3
Surround Mix: 3/3
Fidelity: 3/3
High-Res Disc: 0/1

Content-wise, it's not quite up to par with "Ziggy Stardust", but it definitely excels in terms of the surround mix and fidelity. Everyone who loves Bowie and surround should snatch one up before they go for REALLY expensive prices! :)