• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

DVD/DTS Poll Bowie, David - Young Americans [DTS/DD DVD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the Audio-DVD of David Bowie - YOUNG AMERICANS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics & Bad Content

• Total voters

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Seriously, so glad to see that someone else is fired up and angry about these injustices we have been served over the years when it comes to DVD-A/V vs DVD-V. I'm giving this disc a '9' for the exact same reason that you are.

Content-wise, it's not quite up to par with "Ziggy Stardust", but it definitely excels in terms of the surround mix and fidelity. Everyone who loves Bowie and surround should snatch one up before they go for REALLY expensive prices! :)
I have been 'chronically' complaining about releasing ANY new surround mixes in LOSSY 'anything' for the past 5 years when we have three perfectly adequate hi res formats from which to choose.

When TUSK was announced as a pricey box set and the awareness that a previously prepared MLP DVD~A 5.1 was already 'in the can,' I naturally thought it would be a genuine DVD~A upon release. Yes, it sounds good in DTS 5.1 but, IMHO, would've been 'awesome' in MLP 5.1! But from previous experience with Warner's disappointing use of lossy DTS 4.0 for their Quadio releases of CTA's 1st album and Aretha's Greatest Hits and their initial promise to inagurate a BD~A launch, akin to Universal, and then releasing almost nothing in that format [apart from box sets]......I wasn't surprised.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist [although, I do have my moments), but I do believe these ultra greedy record comglomerates are holding back LOSSLESS releases because they KNOW that down the road when they do release them as higher rez downloads (stereo/multi), that we'll buy them ALL OVER AGAIN just as we've done in the past when newer high res formats were initially introduced.

And that hogwash that not everyone has a BD~V or Universal player to play BD~A, SACD and/or DVD~A is such a cop out because any 'budding' audiophile in their right mind does have access to at least one of these.

The 5.1/4.0 market has always been a niche market but apparently the heads of these comglomerates apparently didn't get the memo that we're tired of being shat on!

And as long as we continue to purchase these increasingly pricey boxsets for a LOSSY 5.1 remaster, the message we are sending them is that we don't care........akin to leading sheep to .........

bigbillquad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hi. rtbluray

I think it`s to late....it`s all ready happening

http://www.amazon.com/Americans-tracks-Original-recording-remastered/dp/B00G2I2JNK/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1453716086&sr=1-3&keywords=Audio-DVD+of+David+Bowie+-+YOUNG+AMERICANS

http://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Young-Americans/release/1045272

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YOUNG-AMERICANS-BY-DAVID-BOWIE-SPECIAL-EDITION-2-DISC-SET-CD-DVD-5-1-MIX-NEW-/272111344843?hash=item3f5b199ccb:g:WrYAAOSwHaBWlaG0#ht_620wt_1157

Seriously, so glad to see that someone else is fired up and angry about these injustices we have been served over the years when it comes to DVD-A/V vs DVD-V. I'm giving this disc a '9' for the exact same reason that you are.

Content: 3/3
Surround Mix: 3/3
Fidelity: 3/3
High-Res Disc: 0/1

Content-wise, it's not quite up to par with "Ziggy Stardust", but it definitely excels in terms of the surround mix and fidelity. Everyone who loves Bowie and surround should snatch one up before they go for REALLY expensive prices! :)

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
I have been 'chronically' complaining about releasing ANY new surround mixes in LOSSY 'anything' for the past 5 years when we have three perfectly adequate hi res formats from which to choose.

When TUSK was announced as a pricey box set and the awareness that a previously prepared MLP DVD~A 5.1 was already 'in the can,' I naturally thought it would be a genuine DVD~A upon release. Yes, it sounds good in DTS 5.1 but, IMHO, would've been 'awesome' in MLP 5.1! But from previous experience with Warner's disappointing use of lossy DTS 4.0 for their Quadio releases of CTA's 1st album and Aretha's Greatest Hits and their initial promise to inagurate a BD~A launch, akin to Universal, and then releasing almost nothing in that format [apart from box sets]......I wasn't surprised.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist [although, I do have my moments), but I do believe these ultra greedy record comglomerates are holding back LOSSLESS releases because they KNOW that down the road when they do release them as higher rez downloads (stereo/multi), that we'll buy them ALL OVER AGAIN just as we've done in the past when newer high res formats were initially introduced.

And that hogwash that not everyone has a BD~V or Universal player to play BD~A, SACD and/or DVD~A is such a cop out because any 'budding' audiophile in their right mind does have access to at least one of these.

The 5.1/4.0 market has always been a niche market but apparently the heads of these comglomerates apparently didn't get the memo that we're tired of being shat on!
Thanks for also fighting the good fight along with me and others!
I don't think there's any conspiracy in all of this. When it comes to choosing DVD-V over DVD-A/V, I think it's mostly down to ignorance and apathy, whereas choosing DVD over Blu-Ray is mostly down to cost factors.
This release should have been DVD-A/V but it's so far in the past now that it's best to move on and continue to fight the good fight for all future releases! :)

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
That makes me all the more furious! :mad:
At least it got released in the end, unlike Visconti's surround remixes of "Low" ;)
..although from a couple of things posted here and at the SHF it seems like we may well be getting more Bowie in 5.1 in the months (years) ahead.. including a 5.1 of "Lodger" that's seemingly come out of nowhere.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
At least it got released in the end, unlike Visconti's surround remixes of "Low" ;)
..although from a couple of things posted here and at the SHF it seems like we may well be getting more Bowie in 5.1 in the months (years) ahead.. including a 5.1 of "Lodger" that's seemingly come out of nowhere.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bowie's back catalogue is now exploited even more since his untimely death, including the release of any and all unreleased 5.1 mixes that have been lingering in the vaults over the years. I just hope none of us depart this earth as well before we have a chance to hear them!

Failed Muso

800 Club - QQ All-Star
There is, quite literally, nothing I don't like about this album, be it the songs, the performances or the 5.1 mix. It is, without a doubt, the best Bowie 5.1 mix (so far) out there and I was delighted to snag a brand new, sealed copy from a trader in Greece who wasn't posthumously price gouging :)

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bowie's back catalogue is now exploited even more since his untimely death, including the release of any and all unreleased 5.1 mixes that have been lingering in the vaults over the years. I just hope none of us depart this earth as well before we have a chance to hear them!
Indeed.. knowing my luck if they ever get around to releasing some of this stuff (its been a long wait for Low..) I'll get run over by a bus or something! Doomed never to hear any of it! :D

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Indeed.. knowing my luck if they ever get around to releasing some of this stuff (its been a long wait for Low..) I'll get run over by a bus or something! Doomed never to hear any of it! :D
I'm sure you have said the same thing about other albums, and look what's happened over the last five years, so you know what I always say, "Hope Springs Eternal!" :)

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm sure you have said the same thing about other albums, and look what's happened over the last five years, so you know what I always say, "Hope Springs Eternal!" :)
Haha.. True.. :upthumb

..it was "a little bit funny" when someone was commenting about my QQ posting frequency recently I almost responded "yeah but 4,000 posts are moaning on about the elton bloody john's not getting released!".. but I demurred.. anyway back to Bowie.. fingers crossed for 5.1's of his Berlin trilogy this year.. :eek:

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I just pulled the trigger on this for $25! Very excited to listen and vote.
Jonathan, this is such a great album and the surround mix is likewise excellent and in re~reading Adam's [fredblue] post #51 dtd: January 28, 2016 ...... makes me long for the day Bowie's superb Berlin Trilogy is released in 5.1!

I'm just hoping that window of opportunity hasn't come .... and gone as there's been NO movement in the Bowie camp regarding surround mixes in ages.

Last edited:

salsdali

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Such a strange disc. Listening to the DTS mix on the DVD-V

Music content = 9.(1-9)

Mix = 7-8.(1-9) (So Stereo heavy but the times Tony releases to the other channels its
great (awesome) but he's just so timid about going there MOST of the time.

Very good but coulda been Great (which is what bugs me when I listen to it)

EDIT: I just adjusted the channel volumes, in a Big way.

I boosted every channel a lot (like 30-35%or so) and downmixed the Fronts, and WOW, sounds like it should have the whole time Tony. WTF? (I'm also smoking Gelato, but that's a different topic lol)

The Fidelity is increased because of the leveling (a Mastering or Mixing trick?)

Is that a faux pau of the Mix or the Mastering for those that know (because I'm ignorant of the difference)?

IOW where do the channel levels get inputted (Baked In) as part of the disc, in the Mix, in the Mastering, or (a combination of) both?

IOW, does the Mixer submit his/hers Channel Levels, and then the Master (Accepts, or Decides to mix those levels into) his/her the final output?

Is that part of the job of the Master or is it just left to his discretion?

Last edited:

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Seems we have two poll threads for this title - perhaps they should be merged?