DVD/DTS Poll Bowie, David - Young Americans [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of David Bowie - YOUNG AMERICANS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics & Bad Content

• Total voters
Does anyone know what the resolution of the stereo LPCM tracks are?

The 'copy' I have sounds good in 2 channel (much better than the Ryko).
Is there any indication on the packaging?

Is this in 6.1?! Does nothing come out of the back middle the whole album?

Nope - DTS 96/24. I believe DTS 96/24 and DTS-ES are mutually exclusive because there isn't enough bandwidth for both (prior to Blu-Ray versions of DTS, of course).

Packaging is lousy in that it doesn't even have a DTS logo, let alone what type of DTS.

Andy

Got it at last and the surround mix is amazing. Why oh why can't "Ziggy" sound like this? :mad: Gave it a 9 because it would sound much better as a lossless DVD-A on my system (though the DTS 24/96 isn't bad at all). "Fame" is mindbogglingly cool.

Give me "Hunky Dory" with a mix as good as this one next and I might be able to forgive the bad mix on "Ziggy". Maybe...

Got it at last and the surround mix is amazing. Why oh why can't "Ziggy" sound like this? :mad: Gave it a 9 because it would sound much better as a lossless DVD-A on my system (though the DTS 24/96 isn't bad at all). "Fame" is mindbogglingly cool.

Give me "Hunky Dory" with a mix as good as this one next and I might be able to forgive the bad mix on "Ziggy". Maybe...

I agree. This is a solid mix. It came out after I had done a version of my own, and I could very clearly pick out places in the professional mix that I just wouldn't be able to get to myself. Incredibly nice, with excellent separation, while still remaining faithful to the album. Hands down, the best of the professional Bowie mixes.

I gave it a "9" a few years ago and I still feel the same, it's a really wonderful open, airy, discrete mix of some incredible music!

The few things that detract from it being a perfect "10" are the lack of a silent bit before the title track starts to let the DTS decoder kick in (I always miss the first bit of the drum intro on my setup because of it!) ... the overloud background music in the menus.. Oh and how it is so hard to easily playback the DTS without the telly on to navigate the menus!

Apart from that, superb!

Probably the best of the Bowie Surround mixes, at least there is stuff happening when it should and some descrete elements to the mix.

totally with you, it's my most-played 5.1 Bowie.

the Reality albums not bad either in surround, if you're inclined to give anything post-Scary Monsters a try, which seems to be the last great album he made in a lot of people's eyes, something I don't entirely agree with but there you go..

totally with you, it's my most-played 5.1 Bowie.

the Reality albums not bad either in surround, if you're inclined to give anything post-Scary Monsters a try, which seems to be the last great album he made in a lot of people's eyes, something I don't entirely agree with but there you go..

There's merit in just about every Bowie album after that. Hell, even "Tonight" has "Blue Jean" on it. I actually think anything from "Outside" on are very good albums. He never stopped trying to be original.

I agree that this and "Heathen" are the only Bowie mixes which are an enjoyable listen. This is very good, in fact.

This was always one of those Bowie albums I never got into, so even seeing the positive remarks here didn't get me to spring for the set. But the Mrs is a bigger Bowie fan than I am and she also never got it before as she was never set up for 5.1...now she of course wanted it so I ordered a copy.

It's a very well done 5.1 mix and I actually found myself enjoying the music more than I ever did before. I score it a 9...lost one for DTS and mot MLP. A surprisingly very welcome addition to the collection.

LOVE the album and the surround mix is fantastic!! :D

Disc navigation is, as Neil W says, a pain in the posterior ("it ain't easy" without the TV on..!).. but fidelity is superb for DTS (it's 96/24 on capable gear).

Its a "9" from me.

If it had been a DVD-A that auto-played I'd have given it a "10", its that good..!!!

Surround standout in this mix: towards the end of the title track when there's a break and Bowie yells out..
"Ain't there one damn song that can make me.. break down and cry?"
..unlike his other lead vocals, its hard panned in the rears with just enough reverb to really give it that extra bit of oomph!

Incredible mix! (y)

reading thru the liner notes for the first time in a long time (probably since I bought it!?) and seeing the genius of Tony Visconti in full flight.. he recounts that he had the studio all mic'd up and ready to go when Bowie suddenly declared he wanted to record his lead vocals live with the rest of the musicians!!

..Visconti panicked! what to do in case vocal overdubs or edits were needed!? there'd be too much bleed-through from the assembled musicians and Bowie's takes would be useless for purposes of flying into other takes!! :yikes

now we get to the real juicy bit.. Visconti's solution?

Setup 2 Mic's, set within two moveable partition walls, with one mic out of phase, get Bowie to sing close-miked into one and not the other, anything else coming into the Mic's would be phase-cancelled..!! Bingo! As Tony V says himself, it worked a charm!

Though in the end Bowie's vocals were so on-point that they used at least 80% of the live or even 1st takes!! Good grief!! Now that's musical TALENT meeting technical wizardry. I'm in awe.

Wow.. just WOW! What a couple of legends. :worthy :worthy :worthy

On the surround mix alone, I'd give this a TEN.

A must-have if ever there was one here at QQ :)

Thanks for commenting on this old poll. I missed this one the first time around and with all the positive comments, I decided to seek out a copy and give it a listen. Looking forward to hearing it when it arrives.

Thanks for commenting on this old poll. I missed this one the first time around and with all the positive comments, I decided to seek out a copy and give it a listen. Looking forward to hearing it when it arrives.

you're welcome dr8track :)

I would never have known about this one being in surround if it hadn't been for me randomly seeing it in a record store shelf (it had already been out a year or two by then! and I'm a Bowiefan! :yikes).

look forward to hearing your thoughts and impressions of it and hope you enjoy it even a bit as much as I do! (y)

The only Bowie album I've ever owned was Space Oddity, which I have always loved. I've been familiar with Bowie hits through the years, but I'd never heard this album before. I really, really like it. I love the music Bowie was creating during this era when he was influenced by American soul. It's also a nice bonus that Lennon appears on the album.
The Cavett interview was uncomfortable to watch. I don't know who seemed more awkward on camera, Cavett or Bowie.
But the music on the album is great. It's got the two big hits, Fame and Young Americans, but some of the other tunes are probably some of my favorites. I love It's Gonna Be Me (With Strings). I give this one a 9 and I'm grateful that this thread was resurrected because I never was even aware of this disc previously.

Back