Braun CD4 demod

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Odd. I searched the entire listing and didn't find that.

120/220 volts makes no sense. The high voltage must be exactly twice the low voltage.
That is the case in high power devices, as two different but identical coils in the transformer primary are connected in parallel and in series, respectively, for 120 and 240V. In low current devices, the two coils are always in series with a tap for 110, 117, 120V, whatever as the low power demand does not justify the more complicated switch arrangement for the parallel connection.

Cost was the main reason Europe went with 220 volts (now 230). Counterintuitively, higher voltages allow the use of thinner wire, meaning less copper in the early days of power lines. Power companies could save money on wire by using 220 volts rather than 110. Berlin is one example.Jan 13, 2020
The US system has both voltages with 3 wires:

There are two wires for 240 V fed from the pole step-down transformer. But that winding is center-tapped and the center tap id grounded and is the neutral wire for 120 V.

You get 120 volts by taking power from either of the hot wires and the neutral.
You get 240 volts by taking power from both of the hot wires

Note that no wire in the system has a voltage to ground higher than 120 V for safety.

How did you get to that pic? It is not on the display I get.
Don’t know anything about your system or display. (Not trying to be a snarky puppy, always appreciate your knowledge here MM! :love:)

For my part, I was all cozy and comfy in bed, hit the link on my iPhone that takes me to my eBay app, a set of 7 photos pops up at the top, looked through all of ‘em and found the info on pic 7, blew up the spot I wanted by pinching out on that photo and snapped a pic of it by simultaneously pushing the power button and enter button, then attached that to my post. Now I’m all tired again, think I’ll get back to sleep now :)

The US system has both voltages with 3 wires:

There are two wires for 240 V fed from the pole step-down transformer. But that winding is center-tapped and the center tap id grounded and is the neutral wire for 120 V.

You get 120 volts by taking power from either of the hot wires and the neutral.
You get 240 volts by taking power from both of the hot wires

Note that no wire in the system has a voltage to ground higher than 120 V for safety.
Then, of course, there’s the 110/208V three-phase setup. I installed a GE Talaria video projector in a facility wired that eay, and needed a transformer to provide the necessary 220V.

How did you get to that pic? It is not on the display I get.
Scroll down the pictures, it's the last one posted. You don't see it when you look at the listing until you scroll down.

I typed in CD-3 by accident and up came a Braun Cd player, complete with German labeling! Very cool, until recently I've only thought of Braun as an electric shaver/kitchen appliance company.

looks like they had a long history with radio and audio products as well!

Scroll down the pictures, it's the last one posted. You don't see it when you look at the listing until you scroll down.

I typed in CD-3 by accident and up came a Braun Cd player, complete with German labeling! Very cool, until recently I've only thought of Braun as an electric shaver/kitchen appliance company.

I found this electrostatic interesting by them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAUN_LE1

I found it. The down arrow for scrolling is almost invisible on my screen. It needs more contrast.

Then, of course, there’s the 110/208V three-phase setup. I installed a GE Talaria video projector in a facility wired that eay, and needed a transformer to provide the necessary 220V.

I have worked with both three phase and 208 V.

The most humorous case I came across was when our lab plugged in its new three-phase exercise treadmill and it ran backwards. The electricians had hooked up the phases in the wrong order on the wall socket.

I have worked with both three phase and 208 V.

The most humorous case I came across was when our lab plugged in its new three-phase exercise treadmill and it ran backwards. The electricians had hooked up the phases in the wrong order on the wall socket.
As we drift further off-topic, that particular instance with the Talaria projector (an awesom product in its day), the electrician in the facility hooked up the transformer and assured me that he had “tested” the circuit. The image had a terrible roll bar going through it, and I thought there was something wrong with the projector, so I had a GE tech come to look at it. He was clueless.

Eventuallyy, I measured the voltage and found that the buck/boost transformer was wired to buck, so it was actually reducing the voltage instead of raising it. I asked the electrician what he had used to test the circuit, and he said he used a neon light tester. Of course, that fine instrument tells you that the voltage is over about 80V, so I learned to test all that myself going forward.

Back