Quad LP/Tape Poll Bread - Baby I'm-A Want You [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Baby I'm-A Want You"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Elektra EQ-5015, from 1972.

Side 1:

1. Mother Freedom
2. Baby I'm-A Want You
3. Down On My Knees
4. Everything I Own
5. Nobody Like You
6. Diary

Side 2:

1. Dream Lady
2. Daughter
3. Games Of Magic
4. This Isn't What The Governmeant
5. Just Like Yesterday
6. I Don't Love You

ED :)

I have the Best Of in CD-4. Any differences on this one with the tracks that are the same? Still looking for this one on ebay and shops on LP, never seem to see it when looking.

Right now you make me wish I had both of 'em here, just to be absolutely sure! :D

But, IIRC, they were the same. Could be that THE BEST OF BREAD was the album the folks at E/A decided to remix to quad, then realized that five cuts from BABY would have to be remixed(all five are on Side 1), so why not do that title, too? Wish I knew for sure, my memory is bad for what got released when(for the most part), and my old Schwann's are up north gathering dust(and probably mold, too).

My regret--and probably yours, too--is that BEST OF VOL. 2 didn't get the treatment, since it covered other singles and fine B-sides. But two was all we got, alas....

Well, that was the nature of quad releases; except for a handful of acts, like Chicago, most releases seemed to be just to 'test the waters,' a token title or two per artist. This happened later with SACD and DVD-A's, too, history repeating itself. Unfortunately, those who blundered during the quad era were not the same people who bungled the later formats. Seems despite the quality of the technology(and let's face it, quad really was confusing to a lot of folks, regardless of format quality)we always wind up on the short end, lamenting what might have been.

That said, I gave this one an '8,' but only because, relative to Side 1, Side 2 is relatively lackluster from a composing standpoint, 1 being loaded up with gems. Begins with a rocker, ends with that most aching of ballads. If ever a single sequence of songs told you everything about a band, Side 1 of this album is really The Story of Bread--what was great about them, what was mainstream and predictable.

8. What's great here is fantastic. Some of it is a bit lackluster. US CD-4:
$(KGrHqUOKpgE25nLEFgGBN21D44Dog~~_35.JPG

Japan CD-4:
!Byckj9wEGk~$(KGrHqQOKj4Ewld(uy8sBMR)uwcnSg~~_35.JPG

I’m a broken record (so to speak) about the brassy production aesthetic of early & mid-70s pop albums, but Armin Steiner engineered this one, so I’d love to hear it in a high-res format. Anyway, what I’ve got is a better-than-average CD-4 conversion. I can't name the WEA house quad mixer(s)--can anyone?--but this is another workmanlike job. Typically (but not always): four-corner lead vocals, bass in the left rear, diagonally-panned lead guitar (and drums!). A couple of tracks have harmony vocals spread discretely across the rears and/or around the room. I so identified this album with the gauzy soft-rock sops that had me all moony-eyed as a 5th-grader (“Everything I Own,” “Diary,” the title track) that I’d forgotten all about the rockers like “Mother Freedom.” (Also: the slightly silly “I Don’t Love You,” with its Cookie-Monster vocals.) 7+ all around, though I'll round up to an 8. I might even go higher if the sound were more pristine and/or if the material still spoke to me.

Back