HiRez Poll Brecker, Michael - PILGRIMAGE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Michael Brecker - PILGRIMAGE

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD from "Heads Up"! (y):phones(n)

I like the SACD and the music. It's Michael Brecker's final album and has an all star group of jazz stars on the disc.

The Surround Sound mix uses a "horse shoe" arrangement (per Heads Up/Telarc's Michael Bishop) with the Sax up front. The surrounds are used for keyboard, drum parts and seasoning. Very appropriate to the music.

I've long been a fan of this album. An extraordinary swan song from Brecker featuring a lineup of legends (Hancock, Metheny, Patitucci, DeJohnette, Mehldau). The compositions are uniformly excellent leaning towards more progressive, rather than traditional, harmonic sequences (which may not appeal to all). The sound is warm, dynamic and crystal clear. The surround mix makes great use of the center channel and creates an effective & full soundstage along the sides and back of the listener. As Brian noted, very appropriate for the music. 10

LMAO! It's only $132 on Amazon. Geez....

Oops - that seemed to be an outlier listing....I see others listed for less than 50

Another case of buying the Multichannel SACDs when they first come out.
If you don't, those prices do go up once the SACD is out of print and no longer available.

Really not sure what to make of this mix, it says it was mixed by Joe Ferla, and to me has a very front centric (Center Channel focused) mix with some ambience from the fronts to the rears like percussion, piano etc. At least that's how I hear it, and not too thrilling from a surround stand point IMO. Funny thing is, I believe he also mixed the David Sanborn surround titles called Timeagain, which is one of my favorites.

But, the music is very nice Jazz, played by some of the best cats out there:

Michael Brecker
Tenor Saxophone, Electronic Wind Instrument
Herbie Hancock
Piano
John Patitucci
Bass
Pat Metheny
Guitar
Jack DeJohnette
Drums
Brad Mehldau
Piano

I'm giving it a 7.

Really not sure what to make of this mix, it says it was mixed by Joe Ferla, and to me has a very front centric (Center Channel focused) mix with some ambience from the fronts to the rears like percussion, piano etc. At least that's how I hear it, and not too thrilling from a surround stand point IMO. Funny thing is, I believe he also mixed the David Sanborn surround titles called Timeagain, which is one of my favorites.

But, the music is very nice Jazz, played by some of the best cats out there:

Michael Brecker
Tenor Saxophone, Electronic Wind Instrument
Herbie Hancock
Piano
John Patitucci
Bass
Pat Metheny
Guitar
Jack DeJohnette
Drums
Brad Mehldau
Piano

I'm giving it a 7.
fwiw Mister P., that Sanborn 5.1 mix (which i love) was by the late (and truly great!) Al Schmitt 💘

That explains it, not the first time discogs got it wrong (maybe Ferla mixed the original stereo version and they just carried it over? :unsure:)
afaik he mixed the original album, yes 🙂 bah, screw Discogs! you can always rely on your old pal Fredward to get the details right for you. just ask Ron Ulyate for a reference! 😂😅

Back