HiRez Poll Brecker, Randy & Michael - SOME SKUNK FUNK [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Randy & Michael Brecker - SOME SKUNK FUNK

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez 5.1 title! (y) :phones (n)

I like the performance, but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like re-purposed stereo...not sure, tho...

But audio and audience noise is spread all around.

For the performances, it's still recommended. Just not thrilled about the mix.

There are two versions of ths disk : Telarc and BHM. Which is discussed ? And who knows difference ?

There are two versions of ths disk : Telarc and BHM. Which is discussed ? And who knows difference ?

I have both SACDs and I think it's the exact same mix. Only difference is the pressing plant - Sonopress did the BHM edition and Sony DADC in the U.S. did the Telarc SACD.

FWIW, this won the 2006 "Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album" Grammy. Michael Brecker is the best tenor player since Coltrane, IMHO.

I keep trying, but just can't get into this one. And though it is a live recording I'd still like to come away with the sense that I'm listening to a discrete source. A 6.

Mark Z

Spectacular performance as is to be expected from the "Brecker Brothers" (wonder why it wasn't credited as such, maybe Randy's ego has inflated since the 70's).

Being an SACD, I can tell this doesn't have anything over 22K, no cillia tingling frequencies here, but the mix is quite good.
Since everybody hears stuff differently (and every setup is different), I find the mix more discrete than usual; sure, the audience is in the rears but so is the rest of the ensemble, and that, in my book is a very good mix.
There are elements that are quite distinctly in the rears, too.

A solid 9 from me.

May Michael Brecker rest in peace, he was freakin' brilliant- had the chance to see him live in the Carlos Santana/Wayne Shorter tour way back in 88 in Great Woods, MA (the "opening band" was none other than Chick Corea's Elektrik Band in the "Eye of the beholder" tour", whew!).

May Michael Brecker rest in peace, he was freakin' brilliant- had the chance to see him live in the Carlos Santana/Wayne Shorter tour way back in 88 in Great Woods, MA (the "opening band" was none other than Chick Corea's Elektrik Band in the "Eye of the beholder" tour", whew!).[/QUOTE]

Saw the Bros. with Billy Cobham in the 70's. What a great talent loss! Not to go off thread but wouldn't Electric band be great in MC? I have several discs and my friend has a couple VHS tapes of them. There are some dvd's also, I have the Montruex show. Out of all the good shows that was one I sorley missed. Which is what I get for living in the navel of NYS.

Excellent fidelity and soundstage for a live recording. Always love the way brass sounds. The high-octane numbers work for me the best, the weirder or the slower the worse. Anyway, you just can't go lower than an 8 here.

I'm a big fan of this disc. Some outrageously good musicians laying down some seriously funky jazz. The fidelity is terrific as is the surround mix. I'm puzzled as to how anyone could hear it as 'repurposed stereo'. The separation between the big band and featured soloists is very effective as is the use of the center channel, particularly when Randy Brecker is featured. I think it all works beautifully and at no point throughout the program am I wishing for a more aggressively discrete mix. A 10 for me.

I enjoyed reading peoples' stories on seeing Michael Brecker. What a talent he was and what a huge loss to the jazz community now that he's gone. I saw him a few times with Paul Simon but I was most moved when seeing him with Chick Corea on the Three Quartets tour in 1981. It was a transformative evening for me.

(At the potential risk of sounding like a sacrilegious peasant..! I get kinda insecure when spouting off about Classical, Jazz, etc when I'm a rock n popper at heart) I recall I didn't get into this one as much as I'd hoped.. I LOOOOOVE the opener (Billy Cobham.. come on! Oh let's have some more of him in 5.1..!). and a couple of other numbers from the set.. the mix was decent iirc.. I think I need to revisit this one, it's been a while. Thanks for the memory jolt! (y)

(At the potential risk of sounding like a sacrilegious peasant..! I get kinda insecure when spouting off about Classical, Jazz, etc when I'm a rock n popper at heart) I recall I didn't get into this one as much as I'd hoped.. I LOOOOOVE the opener (Billy Cobham.. come on! Oh let's have some more of him in 5.1..!). and a couple of other numbers from the set.. the mix was decent iirc.. I think I need to revisit this one, it's been a while. Thanks for the memory jolt! (y)

Adam - It's not Cobham on this one but rather Peter Erskine, who is perhaps best known for his work with Weather Report. I'm glad that you'll be giving it another listen. I hope the funk gets ya!

Adam - It's not Cobham on this one but rather Peter Erskine, who is perhaps best known for his work with Weather Report. I'm glad that you'll be giving it another listen. I hope the funk gets ya!

Oops! :eek: Sorry, I meant the track itself which I thought was a Billy Cobham number?

Oops! :eek: Sorry, I meant the track itself which I thought was a Billy Cobham number?

Ah, yes. I should have made that connection. Yes, it was on a Cobham album but I believe it first appeared on a Brecker Bros. LP. It was written by Randy Brecker.

I think you're thinking of 'Some Skunk Funk' which appeared first on Cobham's 'A Funky Thide Of Sings' in '74 and then on the first Brecker Bros. album in '75. For me the definitive version is the one on the Brecker Bros. 'Heavy Metal Be-Bop' live album from 1978 and features Terry Bozzio going totally bonkers on drums.

Back