HiRez Poll Brennan, Moya - TWO HORIZONS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Moya Brennan - TWO HORIZONS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this disc. (y):phones(n)

Really like this disc a lot. Very ethereal with great multi-tracked vocals. Unfortunately this Import SACD is almost impossible to find at a decent price (like most OOP discs), but worth it. Nice immersive surround sound.

Just recently discovered this via a friend (I had no idea it existed - it appears to be very rare indeed), and to my surprise it was produced and mixed by Ross Cullum, who I have actually worked with, and had no idea that he had done any 5.1 mixes. I have always loved Moya (Maire) Brennan since first hearing Clannad, and particularly her first solo album in the early 90's. This is a beautiful ethereal album, very immersive mixes, highly recommended.

A rare example of not having to think about what's wrong with the recording and how it could be mixed better. Just one great chill-out listen. Also, there's not much music like this in surround.
Next best thing to Enya in 5.1!
(pun intended)

5 long years and counting... :whistle:

oh how terribly remiss of me! 😱
"in my defence" its been a full-on 5 years, not least the joys of the Surround Master, Audio Fidelity and all the old Quads taking over my "life in surround", descending into SQ, QS, CD-4 and Q8 madness.. culminating in the biggy = Dutton Vocalion. tbh i've neglected a lot of the 5.1's from the previous 15 or so years of fun in the process.. profound surround shame is felt, i must atone! a reappraisal and subsequent review shall be forthcoming 😇

5 long years and counting... :whistle:

a placeholder "8" while i properly make my mind up.

dunno if i'm a fan of lead vocals both hard in the Centre (i mean offen there's a seriously dry vocal in there, its incredible when you start picking the mix apart but does it work in 5.1 as a whole?) and the same vocals simultaneously at equal volume in Front L&R? maybe they could've been kept in there but at a slightly lower volume or blended the Centre in a bit? not sure.

some nice use of reverb and layering of voices and stuff in the Rears.. from a Surround pov its a "9".. musically.. i dunno.. more a "7" for me.. i think there's a reason i seldom played it, its a bit of a sleeper.. i guess that's the point! anyway i will revisit it all over again for sure because there isn't actually anything wrong with it at all and its definitely worth picking up.

Back