Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Jonatha Brooke was new to me till I saw this album come up on the "Listening Now" thread a couple of times. I like this album a lot: I think Brooke's songwriting is more interesting than other, more popular 90s/00s indie singer-songwriters I could name, and I like the arrangements and the overall sound of this album (for which Bob Clearmountain probably plays a big part).

As for the mix: I'm just guessing that this was one of Clearmountain's early outings? Anyway, it's pretty uneven and not very adventurous. On most tracks, the action is across the fronts and center, and there's mainly reverb--and/or snare, cymbal, and electric guitar, doubled from the fronts at lower levels. Sometimes there's a harmony vocal line or a guitar fill so quick you barely notice it. A few songs--"How Deep Is Your Love" (not a Bee Gees cover), "Room In My Heart," and "New Dress"--have more aggressive mixes, though. And in some ways the most effective surround mix (even though it's immersive, not discrete) is on the closing waltz, "Lullaby"--just acoustic guitar and vocals, and the most beautiful song on the album.

Nice package, though: DVD-V (with low-budget videos for every song) on one side and DVD-A on the other, plus full credits and a "making of" video. 8 for content, 9 for sound, 6 for mix. I'm gonna weight that last rating and go with a 7 overall. Still an album well worth having. Maybe Clearmountain could revisit this with a 20th-anniversary Atmos mix for Apple Music?

Last edited:

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I remember one of the guys over at the SHF said he produced this DVD-A, so I got one all those years ago to check it out. I can't even remember what it sounded like. I probably still have it somewhere. It's probably hard to find these days.

EDIT: I found the SHF thread. The member is Lee Farber and he directed the videos on this disc. There's more about it in the thread (from 2004)!!!

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Jonatha Brooke was the guest on last week's episode of PRX's Art of the Song, an hour-long interview program:

This week on Art of the Song our guest is Jonatha Brooke. Jonatha has been writing songs, making records, and touring since the early 90's. After four major label releases, she started her own independent label in 1999 and has since released eight more albums.

Jonatha has co-written songs with Katy Perry and the late Joe Sample among others. In 2014, she debuted her one woman musical and companion album My Mother Has Four Noses at the Duke Theater in New York City. We spoke with Jonatha about her EP, Imposter.

leefarber

I remember one of the guys over at the SHF said he produced this DVD-A, so I got one all those years ago to check it out. I can't even remember what it sounded like. I probably still have it somewhere. It's probably hard to find these days.

EDIT: I found the SHF thread. The member is Lee Farber and he directed the videos on this disc. There's more about it in the thread (from 2004)!!!

Hey! That's me! Jonatha just posted one of the videos to her YouTube channel. What a blast from the past. Too bad we didn't have HD cams in 2000 like we do now. Those videos could've looked spectacular for the same budget.

I'll have to dig the disc out and give the 5.1 mix a spin again. Need to rip it to my server as well. So good!