HiRez Poll Brown, Ray, Monty Alexander, Russell Malone - (S/T) [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Ray Brown, Monty Alexander, Russell Malone

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Content, Poor Surround

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 5.1 jazz release from TELARC (SACD-63562) (y):phones(n)

If you love piano jazz, almost jazz club mellow jazz, this disc is a MUST. It's mostly old classics like "Honeysuckle Rose", "Fly Me to the Moon", "Django", etc, and is a terrific disc to put on when folks (non-rockers) are over. It just fills the room with a calm, mellow sound that makes me smile.

This one is a must have for the piano jazz fan, and again TELARC does a terrific job on the mix. No gimmicks, just a great mix.

BTW - It's a 2002 release (how did I miss not listing it in the past) and it's still available at most online resellers!

Just found this for $15 on discogs. Around 1/3 the asking prices I've seen for the last few years.
I'll try to remember to report back.
Someday...

Happy somebody appreciates those NOW scarce as hens teeth TELARC and HEADS UP DISCS. IMO, they had something for 'almost' everyone with superb multichannel sonics, with performances from jazz, pop, R&B, blues and rock legends and back in the day they were $12 each. If you want to improve the sound of any system, pop one of these puppies in and marvel at the superb life like sonics.

Happy somebody appreciates those NOW scarce as hens teeth TELARC and HEADS UP DISCS. IMO, they had something for 'almost' everyone with superb multichannel sonics, with performances from jazz, pop, R&B, blues and rock legends and back in the day they were $12 each. If you want to improve the sound of any system, pop one of these puppies in and marvel at the superb life like sonics.
I'm looking forward to it. I don't recall being disappointed by any Telarc discs yet.

Just found this for $15 on discogs. Around 1/3 the asking prices I've seen for the last few years.
I'll try to remember to report back.
Someday...
Happy you're using your Afghan downtime to find some gems to hear when you get home.
I got the RBCD of this shortly after release from the old BMG club, and it's one of the best jazz CDs in my collection.

It came with a bonus "Producer's Choice" CD that's a showcase of Ray with all kinds of folks in all kinds of settings.
The Super Bass bass trio cuts are astounding.
(Check out the producer's comments on the bottom of the bonus CD label.)

Take care of your ears over there, Baggs, along the rest of yourself.

page083.jpg

page084.jpg

page085.jpg

page087.jpg

This is a super enjoyable disc, no doubt—sounds great overall, but I have a question—I'm not hearing things, right, one of these guys is a big time vocalizer while playing? I'm not familiar enough with any of them to know who it might be, but at first I was like "what the hell is that weird artifacting going on in the background?"

I thought it was perhaps extra buzz from a close mic on the bass as first... but then was able to rule that out... and it isn't there all the time but is there quite a lot; not just accents and grunts once in a while. It wasn't until "I Just Can't See For Looking" that I could hear more audible breaths and thought it was probably a voice I was hearing. Like, on the tune I just mentioned, from say 2:10-2:40... at first it sounds like weird MP3 artifacting but then it starts to break away from the music more and is a little more audibly someone humming along. Since it accompanies the piano, I'm guessing that a trait of Alexander's?

On "Django" from 3:00-3:15 for example, I found it super distracting... maybe just because I don't know what I'm listening to...and that's even weirder because it's during a guitar solo... maybe it's Brown?

Last edited:
Since it accompanies the piano, I'm guessing that a trait of Alexander's?

On "Django" from 3:00-3:15 for example, I found it super distracting... maybe just because I don't know what I'm listening to...and that's even weirder because it's during a guitar solo... maybe it's Brown?
Monty. From a review of a live show: "...Like Oscar Peterson, he’d hum or grunt along from time to time..."

While there are humming bassists, the list of pianists is long. Most famously Glenn Gould playing Bach and the classics, and Keith Jarrett in jazz.
Monty's pretty sedate compared to some.

The Great Groaning Pianists

Groaning pianists have always intrigued me. Lots of musicians groan when they play, of course, but pianists seem to have a special capacity for making weird utterances behind the keyboard. I’m not thinking of Cecil Taylor, for whom improvised screaming and shouting is part of the show, but people like Keith Jarrett, Bud Powell, Erroll Garner and Oscar Peterson, who mutter and moan and grunt along to their own solos, so much so that it can feel like a humorous distraction from the music itself if you’re not used to it.

Monty. From a review of a live show: "...Like Oscar Peterson, he’d hum or grunt along from time to time..."

While there are humming bassists, the list of pianists is long. Most famously Glenn Gould playing Bach and the classics, and Keith Jarrett in jazz.
Monty's pretty sedate compared to some.

Ha! Alright then, mystery solved—thanks a bunch, Dave!

Back