Bruce Soord IAA Interview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoyed doing this one - Bruce is a super-nice guy and very informed when it comes to the art & science of mixing in surround. I look forward to Give It Back Part II!
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/202...eapple-thief-frontman-immersive-mix-engineer/

You're on a roll, Jonathan--best interview yet! Smart questions, instructive answers: technical but not too technical. I've felt bad about not being able to warm up to The Pineapple Thief, but Soord makes me want to give them another try.

Outstanding interview! Your questions were spot-on (surround fans cheering) and Bruce's responses were detailed yet not overly technical.

Sidebar: Bruce did reach out in 2016 during Riverside - Love, Fear & The Time Machine for some feedback on the 5.1 surround mixes. It seemed clear to me he'd already gotten very close to the desired results intuitively. Other than levels being a bit conservative in the rears (always subjective), he delivered a pleasing 5.1 release. In 2019 he reached out to Neil's full testing group for review of his surround mixes for Katatonia's 10th Anniversary 'Night Is The Day'. He'd already nailed the mix; this one was more about confirming proper disc navigation, visuals and meeting surround fan expectations.

Thanks Tim!
Bruce did reach out in 2016 during Riverside - Love, Fear & The Time Machine for some feedback on the 5.1 surround mixes. It seemed clear to me he'd already gotten very close to the desired results intuitively. Other than levels being a bit conservative in the rears (always subjective), he delivered a pleasing 5.1 release.
I think the Riverside 5.1 release was hampered slightly by the source material being pre-mixed stems rather than the raw multitracks - it probably saved him a lot of work in terms of recreating the sound of the original album, but may have limited the options for surround placement. I've always enjoyed it nonetheless (we tried to get it for IAA, unfortunately InsideOut was unwilling to deal at the time of correspondence).

I really enjoyed the discussion in this interview about utilizing the center channel in a multichannel mix. It seems to be one of the favorite topics on this forum. I also was intrigued by the question regarding DTS vs. DTS Master. Given that I have tons of ripped files, there are many instances where I forget if the stream was ripped from straight DTS or the higher res format. In other words, I don't know if I could tell the difference...all other things being equal.

I really enjoyed the discussion in this interview about utilizing the center channel in a multichannel mix. It seems to be one of the favorite topics on this forum. I also was intrigued by the question regarding DTS vs. DTS Master. Given that I have tons of ripped files, there are many instances where I forget if the stream was ripped from straight DTS or the higher res format. In other words, I don't know if I could tell the difference...all other things being equal.
I’m old and maybe my ears are broken but some of my best mixes are dolby digital and dts as opposed to atmos or dts hd master audio, i’m thinking Tubular bells or Jean Michel Jarre’s Aero

Back