Bruce Springsteen: We Shall Overcome - The Seeger Sessions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Guapo

I just came across the announcement for this title on Amazon.de and found it curious that at least in Germany this is released as a Dual Disc as well as a CD+DVD set (priced the same).

However, I can't seem to find the precise specs for this :(
Since this is a Columbia release I think we can rule out Hi Res multichannel :howl
Does anyone know if you get the same content with both versions or does only the Dual Disc have the surround version of the album?

Best regards,
Oliver

Hrmpf!
I just tried to find out more details by googling for this release.

On BruceSpringsteen.net it says:
'We Shall Overcome The Seeger Sessions' will be released in DualDisc
format, with the full album on one side of the disc and DVD content on
the other side. The 30 minute video side of the DualDisc contains
extensive behind the scenes footage of the recording of the album. In
addition, the DualDisc package will contain two bonus tracks and a
special booklet including a note from Springsteen.

So it seems there is no 5.1 mix at all on this disc :howl
Another great Sony scheme to alienate the customers (who by now expect at least a DD5.1 mix from a Dual Disc).

The German press release also mentions that the album is also released as CD/DVD set, but doesn't say whether this is any different in content than the Dual Disc release...

Best regards,
Oliver

If "Devils and Dust" is any indication, we are not missing much with the absence of a 5.1 mix.

splinter7 said:
If "Devils and Dust" is any indication, we are not missing much with the absence of a 5.1 mix.
Exactly. Not only that, this is sparse folk music we're talking here, not Flaming Lips. We don't need surround for this.

Actually, this is not sparse folk music at all. It's more kin to Irish-drinkin' party music. Think the Pogues at full bore. This isn't The Ghost of Tom Joad.

The band is on the front page: http://www.brucespringsteen.net/

Considering the number of players, a hi-rez surround mix would have been great.

Last edited:
BOSSMAN said:
Actually, this is not sparse folk music at all. It's more kin to Irish-drinkin' party music. Think the Pogues at full bore. This isn't The Ghost of Tom Joad.

The band is on the front page: http://www.brucespringsteen.net/

Considering the number of players, a hi-rez surround mix would have been great.
Sorry, thought he was just doing Seeger tunes on an acoustic.

No need to apologize. When I first heard he was doing a Pete Seeger cover album, I immediately thought it would be a hardcore, stripped-down "folkie" album also, ala early Dylan. After hearing a small preview of the album, it turned out to be quite the opposite; sounds like a pretty fun record.

I agree though, the 5.1 for Devils & Dust was disappointing. Uninspired mix and Dolby Digital. Sony.....:(

Back