Bruford: Rock Goes To College, New CD/DVD Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Bill Bruford was the original drummer in YES and was a long-term member of King Crimson.
His band ‘Bruford’ recorded this BBC broadcast in 1979. The DVD in this CD plus DVD package is the only officially released concert footage of the band that exists, and as such has achieved legendary status.
The line-up on this album is:
Bill Bruford – drums, percussion
Allan Holdsworth – electric guitar
Dave Stewart – keyboards
Jeff Berlin – bass
Annette Peacock – lead vocals
This definitive re-release is on Bruford’s own Winterfold Records and was overseen personally by Bill Bruford.

TRACK LISTING
DISC ONE – CD:

1. SAMPLE AND HOLD
2. BEELZEBUB
3. THE SAHARA OF SNOW (PART ONE)
4. THE SAHARA OF SNOW (PART TWO)
5. FOREVER UNTIL SUNDAY
6. BACK TO THE BEGINNING
7. ADIOS A LA PASADA (GOODBYE TO THE PAST)
8. 5G
DISC TWO – DVD: (NTSC Region 0)
1. SAMPLE AND HOLD
2. BEELZEBUB
5. FOREVER UNTIL SUNDAY
6. BACK TO THE BEGINNING
8. 5G

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/bruford-rock-goes-to-college-cd-dvd-edition/

Bill Bruford was the original drummer in YES and was a long-term member of King Crimson.
His band ‘Bruford’ recorded this BBC broadcast in 1979. The DVD in this CD plus DVD package is the only officially released concert footage of the band that exists, and as such has achieved legendary status.
The line-up on this album is:
Bill Bruford – drums, percussion
Allan Holdsworth – electric guitar
Dave Stewart – keyboards
Jeff Berlin – bass
Annette Peacock – lead vocals
This definitive re-release is on Bruford’s own Winterfold Records and was overseen personally by Bill Bruford.

TRACK LISTING
DISC ONE – CD:

1. SAMPLE AND HOLD
2. BEELZEBUB
5. FOREVER UNTIL SUNDAY
6. BACK TO THE BEGINNING
8. 5G
DISC TWO – DVD: (NTSC Region 0)
1. SAMPLE AND HOLD
2. BEELZEBUB
5. FOREVER UNTIL SUNDAY
6. BACK TO THE BEGINNING
8. 5G

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/bruford-rock-goes-to-college-cd-dvd-edition/
You had me at Holdsworth... then Berlin... then Peacock... etc. :ROFLMAO:
(* @timbre4 may also be interested in this one :unsure:)

Price seemed OK to me, so got that ordered...

B-RGTC.jpg

I don't know much about Bruford's solo work, but the BBC Rock Goes to College shows are great - big name artists playing in tiny University performance halls. Loads of big name acts played on the show including The Police, The Cars, Joe Jackson, AC/DC, U2, etc.

These are especially ripe for DVD re-release because they were simulcast on FM radio, and as such they all have really good stereo mixes that can easily be synced up with the TV broadcast video.

I really enjoy the Herbie Hancock episode of this series (the full thing is on YouTube in half-decent quality) filmed during the tour supporting his 1978 album Sunlight, as it's the only live footage of Herbie (with Alphonse Mouzon on drums!) during his divisive "disco" period which ran from 1978 until 1982. Not all of it is a home run, but I love watching it, and you can see him laying the groundwork for the kind of sound that Daft Punk would get really popular with 20 years later with all the vocoder lead vocals and funky rhythms.

I don't know much about Bruford's solo work, but the BBC Rock Goes to College shows are great - big name artists playing in tiny University performance halls. Loads of big name acts played on the show including The Police, The Cars, Joe Jackson, AC/DC, U2, etc.

These are especially ripe for DVD re-release because they were simulcast on FM radio, and as such they all have really good stereo mixes that can easily be synced up with the TV broadcast video.

I really enjoy the Herbie Hancock episode of this series (the full thing is on YouTube in half-decent quality) filmed during the tour supporting his 1978 album Sunlight, as it's the only live footage of Herbie (with Alphonse Mouzon on drums!) during his divisive "disco" period which ran from 1978 until 1982. Not all of it is a home run, but I love watching it, and you can see him laying the groundwork for the kind of sound that Daft Punk would get really popular with 20 years later with all the vocoder lead vocals and funky rhythms.
Thanks for the link to that 'Herbie' Dave; that's Funky man - I'd buy a cleaned up version of that one for sure!
That would have been a dream job for me playing guitar gigs in a band like that.

It's a little rough, but hey it's from 1979 so there's that, we're lucky they still exist.

I looked at the 'About' header on YouTube for that guy magus26, and it just says VHS rips (could be lots of other Gold on his channel.)

It is an amazing performance with decent picture. the sound fidelity...is another matter.

Back