Bryan Adams Reckless - Replacement Discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add my feedback. I bought this when it came out. It played ok to begin with & for quite sometime now, won't play in any player & i've tried 4 players, from Sony, to Panasonic, to Oppo. It's so annoying, because it's one of my favourite discs.
+1
Bought this one at release and it has served me well through the years. This thread made me bring this out for the first time in a year or so to check it is working properly. And guess what - it will not play in my Oppo UDP205. Directly after the player recognizes it as a blu-ray disc the screen turns black, the player displays "Top Menu" and it is 100% frozen (still no problem ejecting the disc, thank God...).

Very frustrating indeed!

Also saw some reported problems with the Rolling Stones Stripped Deluxe blu-rays. Checked that one also and it worked flawlessly.

+1
Bought this one at release and it has served me well through the years. This thread made me bring this out for the first time in a year or so to check it is working properly. And guess what - it will not play in my Oppo UDP205. Directly after the player recognizes it as a blu-ray disc the screen turns black, the player displays "Top Menu" and it is 100% frozen (still no problem ejecting the disc, thank God...).

Very frustrating indeed!

Also saw some reported problems with the Rolling Stones Stripped Deluxe blu-rays. Checked that one also and it worked flawlessly.

A year ago I promised myself I must get this disc ripped, while it still works.
Er….Have I done that.....nope.
So this is the kick up the proverbial backside, I needed!!

Again, very sorry to hear about continual problems with certain versions of the Blu-ray disc.

Is yours the silver version?

65bf48d66563a3656ff39bedd6314814.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received an email response from Janice at Operations Support. I am cut and pasting the response below.

Hi Matthew

Operations Support are here to help with any issues on new releases (normally) but of course we’ll also look into your Bryan Adams concerns and will get back to you as soon as we can.

Best wishes

Janice

On behalf of Universal Music Group, London

When I hear further from her, whether positive or negative, I intend to invite her to join QQ. BTW, I am pasting my initial email as well. Hope I covered everything and she checks us out.

Hi There,

I am writing because your contact email was posted on an audio forum for possible replacement of HFPA disc failures. I have attached a pdf of my receipt and cut and pasted my Amazon Canada chat below. I emailed the contact given to me a couple weeks ago with no reply. I have not used my disc often and it was not damaged visibly from handling or any other known reason. It was always stored on my shelf in my living quarters. I am hoping that is might be possible to get a replacement as it appears to be a manufacturing defect that has been documented at the following forum thread, https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/bryan-adams-reckless-replacement-discs.24928/ . There is a photo of two versions of this disc, of which I have the one on the left that was identified as an earlier pressing. I would have simply considered buying a new copy but it has doubled in price and it bothers me that the disc failed by no obvious fault of my own. I hope that you can help me, or at the least possibly advise me who to contact for help or reply to let me know you have at least read my email and can not help me. Just to let you know, I have quite a few other HFPA titles and they all work and I am impressed with the quality and the ability to hear favourite albums in surround sound and high resolution. I hope many more are coming in the future. I specifically buy my favourite albums in surround sound when possible.

Thank You in advance for your attention and response to my email.

Matthew

I do not believe blu-ray failure was intentional and certainly hope Universal and other companies with similar products use this opportunity to figure out how to improve their product and also what went wrong to avoid it in the future. I thank you Jefe1 and anyone else who lets Janice know of the problems so they can be remedied. I find it scary because I don't have a lot of disposable income and often over extend myself to buy these often expensive surround sound albums.

Thanksguise, for reminding me I need to conduct my own investigation. 😅 I haven't played my copy in over two years, though it worked fine then, on my friend's old Oppo 103D. I now have a 103D, so I'd better confirm whether the label is gold or silver, and then whether the disc remains readable.

Without thinking overly about possible complexities of BD-A manufacture versus older optical formats, there's a tacit expectation that these discs are going to last. My oldest RBCD, the first Japan pressing of Billy Joel's Cold Spring Harbor (35DP 108) is 35 years old now, and - having been stored and handled appropriately - it still plays perfectly well. I guess whichever plant manufactured the Reckless silver-labelled BD-A might have used one or more defective raw materials in their production ... who knows?

Righto: my copy of this BD-A is the stand-alone HFPA release, with the gold label (as photographed by GOS last week), and it still plays without issue. Do we know if the silver discs are strictly from the 4-disc set, and the gold discs from the stand-alone release, or otherwise? I think I need to start making my own electronic copies of these, as a safeguard. 😕 Better check my Floyd BD-As, now.

I checked my silver disc today and it played fine. It says made in the E.U. and has the catalog number of 470 012-9 on the disc. The photo on page two has the silver disc with the catalog number on the disc as 378 308-7. That one is from the HFPA version where the one I have is from the 4 disc set.
Has anyone seen a disc failure from the catalog number 470 012-9 or all they all from the HFPA version with the catalog number 378 308-7 ?

I saw this thread last week but I've only just got round to giving my silver label, 378 308-7 disc a spin and so far it's playing fine. Fwiw, I ripped my copy ages ago so I've probably only played the disc a handful of times at most.. and once I finish playing it now, it'll be ages before I spin the actual disc again in case repeated playing increases the likelihood of the disc becoming defective. In fact, seeing as it's already been ripped, I'll probably never play the actual disc again!

Back