BS&T's Child Is Father to the Man - Audio Fidelity 5.1 SACD (Oct 2014)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AF shows it was out of stock, not "retired".

Attachments

• out_of_stock.jpg
    out_of_stock.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 200
From what I now know, not only is there now no chance of Audio Fidelity repressing either of the BS&T SACDs, but there's now no chance that they will have the opportunity to release any other BS&T SACDs either.

I've just learned over on SHTV that Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions have secured the rights to reissue the first four BS&T albums themselves as both a vinyl box and a stereo SACD box next summer.
Given the awful realization, I'm eternally grateful that AF were able to release those SACDs when they did cause the door is now shut. :mad: :(

I'm not sure that will impact a re supply effort...Elusive Disc seems to be expecting some more from somewhere in January HERE

Can't wait to hold my copy from a fellow QQ member in my hands. So far I bought all new Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions SACD releases with 4.0 and 5.1, even those I never heard of before. Good luck the MCH editions are not too many for sake of costs. Most of their SACD are just Stereo and an can skip these :)

Markus

So far I bought all new Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions SACD releases with 4.0 and 5.1, even those I never heard of before. Good luck the MCH editions are not too many for sake of costs. Most of their SACD are just Stereo and an can skip these :)

Markus

Not sure but I think you may have things mixed up a little bit. Audio Fidelity are the label spearheading these 4.0 and 5.1 SACDs we have been gouging up here on QQ, while Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions release mostly stereo SACDs, with the exceptions being the 5.1 SACDs of the Doors albums and certain albums from Pink Floyd and Roger Waters.

Not sure but I think you may have things mixed up a little bit. Audio Fidelity are the label spearheading these 4.0 and 5.1 SACDs we have been gouging up here on QQ, while Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions release mostly stereo SACDs, with the exceptions being the 5.1 SACDs of the Doors albums and certain albums from Pink Floyd and Roger Waters.

Yes, my fault. Audio Fidelity is the brand...

Markus

Do we know that they are "cleaning up" with these surround layers? Of course they are selling more units right out of the box. It appears to not be a failure, but nobody knows really how well they do, other than the Doors which sold out right away, I think. Were there others that needed a second run right away?

As a follow up to this, it would appear from recent QQ posts that members who didn't get in on the 2 x AF Blood Sweat & Tears Surround SACDs when they first came out are now finding them somewhat.. unobtanium.. just sayin' :eek:

As a follow up to this, it would appear from recent QQ posts that members who didn't get in on the 2 x AF Blood Sweat & Tears Surround SACDs when they first came out are now finding them somewhat.. unobtanium.. just sayin' :eek:

Acoustic sounds has one of the titles

Acoustic sounds has one of the titles

Yep that would be the Quad SACD of BS&T(II), and I was definitely about to reorder it from them until I saw I was going to be charged an additional $10.32 for shipping, and then I was all like "AW HELL NO!" ;)

Ahh.. that is unfortunate.. but is it such bad news for surround lovers?

Mirror Image and New City both received Quad remix treatment back in the day (and are technically studio albums number 7 and 8 in their discography afaik) ..there were apparently Quad mixes of the third and fourth albums afaik, unreleased, whether they survive in the vaults IDK.. and of course there's the Greatest Hits Quad which has some interesting stuff on it, maybe AF could do surround SACDs of those three albums? (I know Mirror Image and New City aren't everyone's cup of tea.. and suspect aren't high up on BS&T fans lists of fave albums.. but the Quad mixes are great on both imho.

Oh ok. For some reason I thought albums 3 & 4 might have had Quad mixes released too, so maybe it's not as bad as I thought, not to mention that it seems to me like "Mirror Image" and "New City" probably do not warrant enough interest or sales for Audio Fidelity to reissue those, but I certainly don't oppose it.

In the meantime, I repurchased the Quad SACD of BS&T(II) from amazon.de
With shipping it came to around roughly $32. Not bad considering its now OOP status. :)

This topic makes me pleased...I mean....I don't think I've missed out on any releases that are now OOP. I've done well for myself if I do say so... :)

Oh ok. For some reason I thought albums 3 & 4 might have had Quad mixes released too, so maybe it's not as bad as I thought, not to mention that it seems to me like "Mirror Image" and "New City" probably do not warrant enough interest or sales for Audio Fidelity to reissue those, but I certainly don't oppose it.

In the meantime, I repurchased the Quad SACD of BS&T(II) from amazon.de
With shipping it came to around roughly $32. Not bad considering its now OOP status. :)

I'd heard that Roy Halee produced Quads for albums 3 & 4 but dunno anything beyond that :eek:

Did you ever get to hear the Quads of Mirror Image and New City before now, RT?

(y) Congrats on finding a BST Quad SACD!

Ahh.. that is unfortunate.. but is it such bad news for surround lovers?

Mirror Image and New City both received Quad remix treatment back in the day (and are technically studio albums number 7 and 8 in their discography afaik) ..there were apparently Quad mixes of the third and fourth albums afaik, unreleased, whether they survive in the vaults IDK.. and of course there's the Greatest Hits Quad which has some interesting stuff on it, maybe AF could do surround SACDs of those three albums? (I know Mirror Image and New City aren't everyone's cup of tea.. and suspect aren't high up on BS&T fans lists of fave albums.. but the Quad mixes are great on both imho.

Adam has made a good point. The BS&T listing in Martin Strong's The Great Rock Discography (7th Ed.), gives the album 'ratings' as,

BS&T-Strong.jpg

Whilst Colin Larkin's The Encyclopedia Of Popular Music (4th Ed.) gives the album 'ratings' as,

BS&T-Larkin.jpg

I've found them both to be broadly 'accurate' in their assessments of albums. So if I don't know a band (like I didn't with BS&T) I've found I agree with their ratings for the albums I got. Though obviously its really a matter of personal taste.

Is the Great Rock Discography the big thick hardback book with cream slipcover that weighs a ton and costs a bomb?
I remember buying it.. and never reading it (I must learn to read sometime.. :ugham: )

Back