BS&T's Child Is Father to the Man - Audio Fidelity 5.1 SACD (Oct 2014)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the Great Rock Discography the big thick hardback book with cream slipcover that weighs a ton and costs a bomb?
I remember buying it.. and never reading it (I must learn to read sometime.. :ugham: )

Yep it is, normally I prefer books with those line drawings you colour in, but this one had stars in it :mad:@:

I think I got it for about £25 though in the days of the FOPP music chain being a great place to buy CDs & multi-Channel SACDs, David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (Hybrid 5.1 SACD) for £5!!

I don't care what any rock critic says, New City was the best and most consistent album BS&T did after the 2nd one. The quad mix is amongst the best Columbia put out as well. I agree however that no matter what I say or think, there probably isn't or wouldn't be tons of interest in this title so it would be a pretty brave choice for release by AF. If you can pick this up on SQ LP or Q8 I highly reccomend it.

I don't care what any rock critic says, New City was the best and most consistent album BS&T did after the 2nd one. The quad mix is amongst the best Columbia put out as well. I agree however that no matter what I say or think, there probably isn't or wouldn't be tons of interest in this title so it would be a pretty brave choice for release by AF. If you can pick this up on SQ LP or Q8 I highly reccomend it.

"Ride Captain Ride on your mystery ship!"
that was some good sh!t they were doing back in 75.. :smokin

EDIT: GOOD LORD, I had no idea that was a cover..!!! :yikes

(you know what I'm going to say next) "the SQ LP decodes very well thru the Surround Master SQ Vinyl unit" (TM) and sounds excellent in spite of being pressed on practically RCA Dynaflex levels of thin and floppy vinyl..
but most important of all it is FUNKY.. with not just a capital "F" but ALL CAPITALS..!! :D
(so is Mirror Image imho.. but I'm probably one of about 3 people who feel that way! :eek: )

Yeah there are a bunch of covers on that album, but they're all 're-imagined' so well that they're almost like new songs.

Ride Captain Ride was originally by The Blues Image

Life, written by Allen Toussaint

One Room Country Shack, by John Lee Hooker

Applause, by Janis Ian

Naked Man, by Randy Newman

Got To Get You In To My Life, by some losers from northern England

etc.

I think after the lacklustre previous couple of albums the powers that be at Columbia (and maybe producer Jimmy Ienner) must have lost confidence in the band's songwriting ability (which was never their strong suit) and decided to try and stack the deck with a bunch of well known songwriters. Like I said it didn't do much for the band's fortunes, but for me it's a thoroughly enjoyable listen.

Yeah there are a bunch of covers on that album, but they're all 're-imagined' so well that they're almost like new songs.

Ride Captain Ride was originally by The Blues Image

Life, written by Allen Toussaint

One Room Country Shack, by John Lee Hooker

Applause, by Janis Ian

Naked Man, by Randy Newman

Got To Get You In To My Life, by some losers from northern England

etc.

I think after the lacklustre previous couple of albums the powers that be at Columbia (and maybe producer Jimmy Ienner) must have lost confidence in the band's songwriting ability (which was never their strong suit) and decided to try and stack the deck with a bunch of well known songwriters. Like I said it didn't do much for the band's fortunes, but for me it's a thoroughly enjoyable listen.

Well I'll be.. Thanks Dave :upthumb

Audio Fidelity confirms that both of the BS&T Multichannel SACDs - Blood, Sweat and Tears and Child Is Father To The Man - are out of print.

This thread is all too typical when it comes to audiophile titles, and particularly gold discs or, these days, limited edition SACD's and vinyl. Those remastered by Mr. Hoffman can command a high price either sooner or later, as have some MFSL titles, so it's always well to snag 'em right away, when they come out.

I am surprised, though, that both BS&T titles are already out of stock so quickly. Granted, CHILD makes sense, since it was a release not only supervised by Al Kooper, one of the band members, but a title previously unreleased in MC. The second album does surprise me, because it was never uncommon as a vinyl or Q8, and didn't realize it had such a fan base.

Be assured that BEST OF THE DOORS is already on its way out, and SUPER SESSION may soon follow. If you even have a casual interest, do get them now before the price goes up, and the Doors' disc will surely go up in price quickly if OOP.

ED :)

If you even have a casual interest, do get them now before the price goes up, and the Doors' disc will surely go up in price quickly if OOP.

ED :)

Always good advice - buy Multichannel SACDs when they first come out since there is no guarantee on how long they will stay in print and on the market at reasonable pricing.

I'd heard that Roy Halee produced Quads for albums 3 & 4 but dunno anything beyond that :eek:

Did you ever get to hear the Quads of Mirror Image and New City before now, RT?

(y) Congrats on finding a BST Quad SACD!

No I haven't heard either "Mirror Image" or "New City" at all, and that includes stereo and surround, but I'm glad I'll now be getting another copy of the BS&T Quad SACD in very soon. That was one of two SACDs I traded to Simon A for "Boys & Girls", still a totally worthwhile trade as far as I'm concerned, but since I've caught up on collecting so many other recent AF Quad SACDs I wanted, I decided to go back and fill that gap once again as it is still one of the best Quad SACDs I have ever heard from AF so far! :)

Elusive "expects" to get more of Child Is Father...

Attachments

• expectedBST.jpg
    expectedBST.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 221
The lesson here is: if you want it, or might want it, buy it when it is first released. Waiting for the price to fall will likely result in OOP, with the price actually going up, sometimes way up.

Hi,

my long time order at my record dealer was not fullfilled after some months of waiting and now Child Is Father To the Man (Audio Fidelity 5.1 Hybrid SACD) by Blood, Sweet and Tears is hopelessly out of print.

Anyone a spare copy to sell or trade?

Markus

click the pic.. MusicDirect has it too, and ElusiveDisc.

Back