Dual Disc BT - This Binary Universe 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjethomas

Another new one, scheduled for release on 8/29. This one is actually a CD/DVD combo, with the regular album version on disk 1 and a 5.1 visual version on disk 2. I wouldn't expect hi-res audio, but it looks promising. Check out Amazon for previews of each track.

JET

Another new one, scheduled for release on 8/29. This one is actually a CD/DVD combo, with the regular album version on disk 1 and a 5.1 visual version on disk 2. I wouldn't expect hi-res audio, but it looks promising. Check out Amazon for previews of each track.
JET
DTS and 24/49 2.0 PCM, only.

Kal

Just rec'd my copy today from CD Universe. DVD is DTS 5.1 only - sounds fantastic. For the uninitiated this is electronic music - not dance or electronica music - very diverse soundscapes - certainly with elements of beat and percussion but very cinematic in scope. The DTS mix is spectacular. The animation is state of the art and quite unusual - it fills my 51" widescreen quite nicely - excellent resolution both visually and aurally.

I hit the DVD 5.1 trifecta this week - Townsend/Lane "Rough Mix" DualDisc (DVD-A), BT "Binary Universe" (DTS) and Dream Theater "Score" DD 5.1. I know that everyone is bemoaning the end of the 5.1 universe but you couldn't tell from my expenditures lately - and this is all new stuff. Upcoming weeks will reduce my bank account even further - 9/12 Flaming Lips, 9/26 Al DiMeola, 10/3 latest batch of Depeche Mode, November - Doors box! 5.1 is finding it's own level out there - probably not enough to satisfy the devoted, but it's still out there.

Just rec'd my copy today from CD Universe. DVD is DTS 5.1 only - sounds fantastic. For the uninitiated this is electronic music - not dance or electronica music - very diverse soundscapes - certainly with elements of beat and percussion but very cinematic in scope. The DTS mix is spectacular. The animation is state of the art and quite unusual - it fills my 51" widescreen quite nicely - excellent resolution both visually and aurally.

I hit the DVD 5.1 trifecta this week - Townsend/Lane "Rough Mix" DualDisc (DVD-A), BT "Binary Universe" (DTS) and Dream Theater "Score" DD 5.1. I know that everyone is bemoaning the end of the 5.1 universe but you couldn't tell from my expenditures lately - and this is all new stuff. Upcoming weeks will reduce my bank account even further - 9/12 Flaming Lips, 9/26 Al DiMeola, 10/3 latest batch of Depeche Mode, November - Doors box! 5.1 is finding it's own level out there - probably not enough to satisfy the devoted, but it's still out there.

I couldn't agree more about the BT disc, fabulous surround sound. I'm not sure how often the videos will be watched but at least there's an option to play the music without them. A must-buy for anyone who likes electronic music.

The DTS surround mix of this BT disc is excellent. It is a very interesting collaboration of modern electronic music and sound design however for me this falls more into the category of "music I appreciate" rather than "music I like". That says more about my taste than it says about BT's music. If you like new music that pushes the envelope a bit and makes good use of your 5.1 setup this album is well worth your time.

I'm holding off on getting this til I'm done setting up my quad system and integrating a center channel and subwoofer. :)

The music may be well and the mix will do it right, but to see the pictures it is for me a catastrophe - except only the scene with the wonderfull colored flowers. The rest is (for my taste) only hummdrumm and sometimes real bad to see because something it means as there are interferences. I think for me, that restless picures are no a sort of art. I am really annoyed. May be, others have another impression.

Dietrich

Mix and music are awesome, although I come from the rock scene and never cared a lot about electronic music. I just deeply regret that this one is not a DVD-A.

What a waste of space ! The DVD-V side is a double layer, and 80% of the room is taken by those videos.

At least they could have encoded this in DTS 96/24. We get the average 16 bits instead. Too bad because the quality of the sounds are amazing and it would have gone through the roof with MLP or DTS 96/24 (as a DVD-V was inevitable, I guess...)

If this were a poll thread, I would have given this a 9.

Great fully-immersive mixes, sound itself is very good (not overly bright like so many newer electronic music albums I own), and innovative sounds though some took some getting used to. The only track I usually skip, though not because its the longest, is "See You On The Other Side". It just doesn't do much for me. And except for a couple, I liked the videos especially the ones for "Dynamic Symmetry" and "The Internal Locus"; and both feature some beautiful colors and dreamy/pretty images if you need to show off your new TV.

Music is almost science fiction-like but not gimmicky to me and includes a few acoustic instruments to give it some balance. And be warned: the shortest track is 8 minutes and most are @11 minutes long - this is very much long term chillout music so I have to put aside the time to listen but it's worth it. I wish more chill/downtempo tunes would be made into surround form!

Mix and music are awesome, although I come from the rock scene and never cared a lot about electronic music. I just deeply regret that this one is not a DVD-A.

What a waste of space ! The DVD-V side is a double layer, and 80% of the room is taken by those videos.

At least they could have encoded this in DTS 96/24. We get the average 16 bits instead. Too bad because the quality of the sounds are amazing and it would have gone through the roof with MLP or DTS 96/24 (as a DVD-V was inevitable, I guess...)

Nuff Said, really.

I usually listen to a few tunes from this cd/dvd dts video every two or three months.

For an electronics artist BT is quite entertaining, I think. Rather unique use of animations in the video as well.

Almost thought the cd was dts as per it's markings, but it is not. It's dvd is in 48/24 dts.and I give it a nine.

Back