Buddy Rich - Channel One Suite

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Picked this one up tonight and after watching it twice I am just amazed.

The audio is 4.0 (for some reason the sub on my system works on this one though). It sound to me to be a sweetened version of the Mr Drums album. Definitely the same performance but this sounds soooo good.

If you bought the West Side Story disc (and liked it) you definitely will want to get this one as well. Once again a great band playing great charts with unbelievable sound.

My only complaint is with the video portion. I guess due to the condition of some of the tapes I shouldn't be surprised. According to one of the extras, many of the reels had fungus and were falling apart. The DVD also seems to be pixelated with long bars appearing in the picture as it pans across the stage. The bitrate seems a bit low at about 4-5. Maybe they wanted to squeeze a little more on the disc. Not terrible but not HiDef.

The extras are pretty cool as well including:

A 1976 appearance on the Tonight show is included with Johnny, Don Rickles, and John Byner...

An explanation on how the surround sound was acheived with footage from the actual taping.

And more.

I think for the WSS DVD I paid about 29.99. This new DVD was only $19.99 and it includes much more content.

It also includes 4.0 DTS and 4.0 Dolby Digital mixes.

Back