Buddy Rich Tate SQ Performance on DVD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
Thanks to John Kotches, I stumbled upon a very interesting and informitive article relating to the DVD release of (what I consider to be) one the best recordings ever captured using the SQ quadraphonic system.

www.widescreenreview.com/.../buddy.htm

The article aludes to other performances captured using the same recording method. I sure hope these are considered for DVD release as well.

Cai! Wow! and double Wow! Great Article. I've got to here this one! Buddy Rich Was super! I like the way they explained the process, but would like to know the process they used to restore the frequency response lost by the Tate system! Very enlightening info! This is a must read!
Rob

I have this video and it SMOKES!!! The audio makes you feel like you are in the room with the band! Looks great and sounds awesome. Man could that guy play!!! Get it now.

I share the same curiosity; i have no idea what's on the market today for the DAW they use.
The only thing that i remember about such a process, other than the little tool available in Nero 5 audio editor, is a article i've read back in 1990 on a USA hifi magazine - july or august edition - the cover was dedicated to the first CD-R machine built by Sony in Japan and featured an extensive article on that.
In this same issue there was a article regarding a Bob Marley compilation done by Sony Music in which they described a way to restore the missing frequencies info with a technique called "revectoring" - it had to do with phase information, odd harminics and so on.
Never saw anything else on that, but if someone has this magazine it will be intresting to read it again.

I just watched/listened to this DVD last night and it smokes! I can't believe this was originally an SQ recording. There are NO decoding artifacts whatsoever. This sounds like a true discrete multi-channel recording of a live performance. Another great "you are there" example of surround-sound. It is very lifelike and absorbing. Also, the fidelity of the recording is fantastic. They did an incredible job of salvaging this one.

Back