DVD/DTS Poll Bukem, LTJ - Planet Earth [DTS-ES CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of LTJ Bukem - PLANET EARTH

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations about this title...(y) (n)

Bob Romano said:
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations about this title...(y) (n)

This is one I've been wanting to hear. Bukem did give one of my songs a good review a few years ago, when it was released on a compilation in the UK. I've liked his work for awhile so it should be interesting.

I've enjoyed LTJ Bukem's work for years and was really looking forward to this disc. I wasn't disappointed in the least. While the eclectic jazzy electronica might not be to everyone's taste, the surround mix is fantastic and is recorded in DTS ES 6.1 so the rear(s) get an all-to-rare workout. There is even a surround mixing demo for one song that graphically illustrates which instrument(s) on what channel as the song is playing. For a new convert to surround like me, this was especially interesting. Big thumbs up for me.

I gave away my copy. :D

EDIT: But they sent me another!

Kal

Last edited:
This earned an 8 from me. It would have received a 9 if it didn't sound so bright. I can tame it by using the treble control but still.....otherwise its overall sound is fine.

The 6.1 DTS-ES mixes are great, very immersive and also aggressively executed in quite a few places i.e. moving elements but not gimmicky. Mix breakdown video is - for this surround geek anyway :) - entertaining but also informative and I've watched it many times. Hearing the surround mix slowly being "built" with each instrument while watching their corresponding labels appear on the onscreen diagram for the various channels is fun darn it! :D

Holy reviving an old thread, but I picked this up at Cutler's in New Haven today. Have to buy something every time I'm there to keep a dying breed in business, this was sitting there on the the racks, and I do like a lot of LTJ Bukem's work. Nice to see some good reviews here.

Great find! I always enjoyed this release and have neglected it for a while - thanks for the reminder, I'll have to give it a spin tomorrow. While there are a few, not nearly enough of this style of jazz/electronica surround titles out there - a shame because the style really lends itself to the 5.1 treatment.

Great find! I always enjoyed this release and have neglected it for a while - thanks for the reminder, I'll have to give it a spin tomorrow. While there are a few, not nearly enough of this style of jazz/electronica surround titles out there - a shame because the style really lends itself to the 5.1 treatment.

I've always though Namlook did a very good job getting some of the FAX catalog out there in 5.1. $16.99. Poor thing was just sitting there at a store whose CD selection shrinks more and more and whose t-shirt, headphone, and vinyl selection tends to get bigger - at a store half the size it used to be already. Sad. Thank god for Yalies.

No.....not enough of this in retail 5.1, but most of the genre converts incredibly well with SPEC. Adventuresome stereo mix = aggressive stereo-to-surround.

My copy arrived yesterday - excellent, discrete DTS mix. Very similar style wise to Planet Earth - jazzy, chilltronica with a touch of house and drum & bass. Very pleased with my purchase - thanks again to Philip for the heads up!

My copy arrived yesterday - excellent, discrete DTS mix. Very similar style wise to Planet Earth - jazzy, chilltronica with a touch of house and drum & bass. Very pleased with my purchase - thanks again to Philip for the
heads up!
I'm glad you liked it. You copped it for a good price too.
Phil

I just picked this up via DTS's UK distributor on eBay for £3.

It has to be, pound for pound, one of the best multi-channel albums out there :)

On first pass, it's pretty impressive stuff, and the bonus feature that visualises the 6.1 mix is incredibly useful as a reference point.

I give it 9.

Maybe I'm lucky getting into MC so late in the game.
This disc is brand new to me. The sound is so good that I can enjoy forms of music I wouldn't normally listen to. The two disc version I have is a regular stereo CD and a DTS-ES discreet 6.1 48kHz DVD.
A little confusing because the stereo CD is marked with a DTS symbol.

Back