Burning 5.1 Flac files to DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb_091

Hi all! I'm new here and new to surround sound audio as well. Finally upgraded my system to 5.1 and found a ton of 5.1 FLAC albums online. Now unfortunately, my blu-ray player does not play FLAC files above 2.0 channels, so I was searching for another method. I figured I'd try burning these to a DVD and then playing them on my blu-ray player which is connected to my 5.1 AV system (Yamaha receiver).

I found an application called LPLEX that will convert a 5.1 FLAC album to an '.ISO' and a 'VIDEO_TS' folder (for DVD-V, I'm assuming). Now when I burned either of these to a DVD-R disc using ImgBurn, the sound is only in 2.0. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but if anyone could help me out, I'd be extremely grateful!

Never come across LPLEX, had a look and it produces a DVD-Video audio only disc from flac files. In which case I believe the VIDEO_TS folder can only contain encoded DTS or DD, and stereo LPCM. So I suspect its generating a stereo only stream, and to get 5.1 you'd need either a DTS or DD encoder to get the surround output via your player. Whilst searching for LPLEX one of the results was this thread Lplex help

Never come across LPLEX, had a look and it produces a DVD-Video audio only disc from flac files. In which case I believe the VIDEO_TS folder can only contain encoded DTS or DD, and stereo LPCM. So I suspect its generating a stereo only stream, and to get 5.1 you'd need either a DTS or DD encoder to get the surround output via your player. Whilst searching for LPLEX one of the results was this thread Lplex help
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm still not sure if that helps me... I'll admit that I'm a little lost. Was hoping there'd be an easier way to do this.

The only other options I can suggest are,
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll just connect my laptop via HDMI and save some headache. Hate to add another device to the mix but I think I have to. Tried it last night via foobar and it worked perfectly. Thank you for your help!

Hi all! I'm new here and new to surround sound audio as well. Finally upgraded my system to 5.1 and found a ton of 5.1 FLAC albums online. Now unfortunately, my blu-ray player does not play FLAC files above 2.0 channels, so I was searching for another method. I figured I'd try burning these to a DVD and then playing them on my blu-ray player which is connected to my 5.1 AV system (Yamaha receiver).

I found an application called LPLEX that will convert a 5.1 FLAC album to an '.ISO' and a 'VIDEO_TS' folder (for DVD-V, I'm assuming). Now when I burned either of these to a DVD-R disc using ImgBurn, the sound is only in 2.0. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but if anyone could help me out, I'd be extremely grateful!
I have a program called Roxio that burns .iso files to disc. As with other replies, I'm not familiar with LPLEX.

The .iso file is just a wrapper for the data burned to the disc, and you can probably open it with an unzip utility. Then you can check the TS folders in it and see what the audio parameters are. Roxio has a feature that will allow you to burn audio to DVD (with one picture per file) in a format known as Music DVD. It converts everything to two channel. I don't know if that's part of the Music DVD spec, or if it's just what the program does because it's easier.

I have a program called Roxio that burns .iso files to disc. As with other replies, I'm not familiar with LPLEX.

The .iso file is just a wrapper for the data burned to the disc, and you can probably open it with an unzip utility. Then you can check the TS folders in it and see what the audio parameters are. Roxio has a feature that will allow you to burn audio to DVD (with one picture per file) in a format known as Music DVD. It converts everything to two channel. I don't know if that's part of the Music DVD spec, or if it's just what the program does because it's easier.
Quick update. Like a dummy, I did not have my Blu-ray player connected to my AV receiver. But now I do, and everything works as it should. Even 5.1 FLAC will play from my Blu-ray player, so I'm all set. Thanks everyone for the help!

Back