Byrds: Fifth Dimension - Announced, Not Released on Surround SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCunningham

Got the new ICE magazine today and they show this new mutichannel version sacd listed for release on Jan 14. Another one I've been waiting for finally coming out..

Really? Hmm, very interesting.

That one has been in the SACD catalog for a long time, but this is the first time I've heard a release date for it!

I wonder if that means that some of the other SACD catalog titles from Sony are also around the corner...

They also show the Stevie Ray Vaughan: Couldn't Stand The Weather due out the same day. I hope they're correct.

Yes, that would be another one to get in Multichannel SACD.

I already have the Stereo SACD of both of the Stevie Ray Vaughn discs available. Both are very good.

In the meantime, Sony appears to have several new SACDs coming between now and the end of December.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 3.41.13 PM.png

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sas-leftoverture-listed-as-coming-soon.24028/

it was a while ago now but as i recall there were some difficulties remixing it into surround, due in part to source limitations and an insufficient number of multitracks to work with and even though Thom Cadley mixed the album in 5.1 to completion he wasn't entirely happy with the results and so it was scrapped.. well that's kinda how i remember it anyway?!

maybe ThomC can swing by and fill us in when he has a mo? :giggle:

Hey Joe:

This is an extended version of the 5D track. It first appeared in the '90 Byrds box, IMHO the best compilation box set by them or anyone else.

I don't think I have ever heard Hey Joe by the Byrds but I do love the version by Tim Rose that Jemi Hendrix copied.

it was a while ago now but as i recall there were some difficulties remixing it into surround, due in part to source limitations and an insufficient number of multitracks to work with and even though Thom Cadley mixed the album in 5.1 to completion he wasn't entirely happy with the results and so it was scrapped.. well that's kinda how i remember it anyway?!

maybe ThomC can swing by and fill us in when he has a mo? :giggle:

If that's the case, I can't say I blame him - I know the 60s produced more than its fair share of classic albums, but I'll never understand the obsession with trying to do 5.1 remixes of stuff originally recorded on 4 tracks, or less to middling results, with the recent Music from Big Pink and In Search of the Lost Chord 50th editions being but two examples. I know a lot of these sets are being driven by 50th anniversaries, but nevertheless there are so many great albums from the 70s (and even early 80s) recorded on 8, 16, 32, 48 (or more) tracks that could (and would) yield much more exciting 5.1 results than some of the stuff we've got lately.

Great points, Dave.

But there are a few factors like popular favorites, what has an existing Quad or 5.1 mix, legal stuff, and mainly what's gonna bring in the most $$$.

Being a big Moodies fan, I eagerly awaited a surround Lost Chord. It's perhaps my favorite of theirs. Assuming the master tapes are lost, their mix was the best they can do. Was It??? I've heard engineers and artists talk about isolating different instruments from the same track on the master. That might cost $$$ and take some time. So, we sometimes get synthesized surround.

Those of us around in the Quad days remember getting a new "Quad" where the rears were synthesized or just had echo added/boosted as rear channels. Engineers could simply set the synthesizer and/or echo, play the 2ch mix and go to lunch. It's as easy as doing a load in your dishwasher. Pardon me while I yawn. Instant Quad, just add water.

When I listen to my 5.1 SACD's of Kind of Blue or Time Out, I like to play the SACD 2ch layer. Yes, I know they recorded the rears using the studio ambiance where the LP's were recorded. Big deal.

Being a completist, I've rebought titles based on improved fidelity and/or a surround mix. Often I'm wowed, sometimes I'm underwhelmed at best.

If Byrds songs were used in some box office miracle or a founding member were to pass, there might be a surge of interest. At that point, some surround mix of 5D would happen in a flash.

Again, using Moodies as an example, I'd love to hear The Voice, Blue World, I Know You're Out There and other later works in surround on their individual albums. At least a 5.1 compilation. I'd bet that a bogus sounding surround Lost Chord would greatly outsell those later albums several fold.

As long as record companies are starving for revenue, we'll see these box set album anniversary projects for better or worse. Better usually takes time and money.

...I'll never understand the obsession with trying to do 5.1 remixes of stuff originally recorded on 4 tracks, or less to middling results, with the recent Music from Big Pink and In Search of the Lost Chord 50th editions being but two examples. I know a lot of these sets are being driven by 50th anniversaries, but nevertheless there are so many great albums from the 70s (and even early 80s) recorded on 8, 16, 32, 48 (or more) tracks that could (and would) yield much more exciting 5.1 results than some of the stuff we've got lately.

Last edited:
So it did have an MC mix.
Lost opportunities like this make me sad

Thom Cadley posted about it back in 2003 when it was still on the cards....in this thread http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/srv-byrds-to-be-hybrid-m-c-releases.451/
"In the case of the Byrds disc, not only were the tapes that were used to make the mono and stereo masters needed, (these were 3 & 4 track reduction masters), but where possible, songs were 'reverse engineered' so that the previous generations of 4 & 8 track tapes could be used. This meant getting finding all these tapes, syncing them up, and editing them to match before even starting the mixes. This took an incredible amount of time. Even then, the drums were always on one mono track and the bass and rhythm guitars were always on a single mono track. Because the original 8 track multis were recorded this way there was still only a limited amount of separation available.
That said, these delays had the fortuitous result of allowing the disks to be made by the hybrid plant. Sometimes good things happen for the strangest reasons. :)
Also, DROKOPY, all the bonus tracks are included, though for the 2 bonus tracks from RCA studios no multis were found, so no 5.1 of those. Hope you like it anyway.
"

Back