Calling JRiver Experts please

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jriver is also not playing dts flac IOW a dts cd ripped to flac only gives noise the wav will play but flac will not..
foobar plays either fine

Whatever converter you use must decode it as DTS, then encode it as FLAC.
It probably thinks it's a normal WAV/PCM file, that's why it's just noise.

A couple of ways that I know work are:
(1) Use foobar2000 (with the dts decoder component installed) and convert to FLAC.
(2) Since JRiver is able to decode the WAV as DTS, then JRiver can also convert it to FLAC.

What about the stereo track ?
Or when you play the M2TS file directly ( File ---> Open Media file).

Have you tried other DTS-HD tracks (96/24, 48/24) ?
There are several DTS-HD 48/24 files available here for download, 5.1 and 7.1:
https://thedigitaltheater.com/dts-trailers/

just tried 2 from there does the exact same thing reports 16bit 8 channel dts
my receiver displays dts hd-ma as it should so something in my config is funky

Whatever converter you use must decode it as DTS, then encode it as FLAC.
It probably thinks it's a normal WAV/PCM file, that's why it's just noise.

A couple of ways that I know work are:
(1) Use foobar2000 (with the dts decoder component installed) and convert to FLAC.
(2) Since JRiver is able to decode the WAV as DTS, then JRiver can also convert it to FLAC.

eh not gonna bother I will just play in foobar, if foobar would play bluray without the addition of ffmpeg I would give up on jriver entirely

I made a backup of the Quadio disc with the whole folder structure using MakeMKV, and It shows 192 / 24 in JRiver.
I didn't have to do anything in JRiver and the output channels setting doesn't matter, so I don't know why yours shows 16 bit.

View attachment 66400

Note: It shows "6 channels" in the screenshot above, but the input is actually DTS-HD 4.0. Looks like JRiver just interprets and processes it as 6 channels by default. And the center and LFE channels ( 3 and 4) are empty as shown in the screenshot of my audio interface.

View attachment 66401

Are you connected to a receiver with hdmi or are you using an external dac?

It doesn't matter if the audio device selected is:
- a receiver (via HDMI),
- a multi-channel USB audio interface / DAC.
- the built-in audio on the motherboard,
- or a monitor with built in audio/speakers (16bit) connected via DisplayPort as shown below.
The input doesn't change.

JRiver_Output_MonitorSpeakers.jpg

The only exception is that if I turn on bitstreaming, then it will show Input and Output as Bitstreaming.

JRiver_bitstream.jpg

Attachments

• JRiver_Output_MonitorSpeakers.jpg
    JRiver_Output_MonitorSpeakers.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
It doesn't matter if the audio device selected is:
- a receiver (via HDMI),
- a multi-channel USB audio interface / DAC.
- the built-in audio on the motherboard,
- or a monitor with built in audio/speakers (16bit) connected via DisplayPort as shown below.
The input doesn't change.

View attachment 66465

Actually in regards to HDMI it COULD matter due to EDID
HDMI Audio and EDID (awen.io)

Actually in regards to HDMI it COULD matter due to EDID
HDMI Audio and EDID (awen.io)

I don't follow what you mean, we're talking about the Input displayed in JRiver, which is the topic of this thread and your original post.
As I said, the Input shown in JRiver (i.e. the source audio, which is DTS-HD 4.0 in our example) is not going to change, regardless of the output device.

The Output format does matter (for example I need JRiver to resample from 192k to 48k as shown in the screenshot in my previous post because the output device ( display monitor with built-in speakers, connected via DisplayPort) doesn't support 192k. So yes, it probably used EDID in this case using the DisplayPort connection (similar to HDMI) to determine what format the Output device (monitor with speakers) supports. But the Input/source (192/24) is still the same, as shown in the screenshot. It just needs to do a conversion/resampling.

Last edited:
I don't follow what you mean, we're talking about the Input displayed in JRiver, which is the topic of this thread and your original post.
As I said, the Input shown in JRiver (i.e. the source audio, which is DTS-HD 4.0 in our example) is not going to change, regardless of the output device.

The Output format does matter (for example I need JRiver to resample from 192k to 48k as shown in the screenshot in my previous post because the output device ( display monitor with built-in speakers, connected via DisplayPort) doesn't support 192k. So yes, it probably used EDID in this case using the DisplayPort connection (similar to HDMI) to determine what format the Output device (monitor with speakers) supports. But the Input/source (192/24) is still the same, as shown in the screenshot. It just needs to do a conversion/resampling.

Point being that possibly due to weird EDID glitch the output is messing with input, remember my config input is showing straight DTS BUT my receiver is showing DTS HD MA, as I said before something in the DTS config is screwy ,

Very interesting I am BITSTREAMING and my input DOES NOT SAY BITSTREAMING like yours does??

well I never did figure out or fix this issue , MC 28 has taken care of it

Back