Can I use my OPPO 203 HDMI input to stream dolby atmos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the guy NEEDS a newer 4KTV
Any 4K version of the Apple TV will work with Apple Music to stream Atmos. Plugged into an Oppo, it will show 7.1 on the display. Of course he will need an Atmos receiver to get height channels, but that wasn't what he was asking.

Any 4K version of the Apple TV will work with Apple Music to stream Atmos. Plugged into an Oppo, it will show 7.1 on the display. Of course he will need an Atmos receiver to get height channels, but that wasn't what he was asking.
What if he used the analog outs from the Oppo to the AVR?

Thanks for the input (no pun intended, all). Indeed, I wasn’t looking for Atmos, just 5:1. I still don’t understand why my pre-4K Apple TV won’t do multichannel streaming when it specifically offers a “Dolby Digital 5:1 conversion” output choice, but that does nothing. And again, it CAN send multichannel to the Oppo using Infuse and File Browser with my DLNA server.

Ah well, I’m lucky enough to have lots of surround discs. I better sign off before I hijack the thread with a rant about AVRs and pre-pros (too large, too complicated, wasteful rapid obsolescence …
;)

Thanks for the input (no pun intended, all). Indeed, I wasn’t looking for Atmos, just 5:1. I still don’t understand why my pre-4K Apple TV won’t do multichannel streaming when it specifically offers a “Dolby Digital 5:1 conversion” output choice, but that does nothing. And again, it CAN send multichannel to the Oppo using Infuse and File Browser with my DLNA server.

Ah well, I’m lucky enough to have lots of surround discs. I better sign off before I hijack the thread with a rant about AVRs and pre-pros (too large, too complicated, wasteful rapid obsolescence …
;)
U cannot use a pre older 4k Apple tv....It NEEDS TO BE A 4KTV Period.
I'm out n done!

What if he used the analog outs from the Oppo to the AVR?
I don’t want an AVR or a pre-pro, that’s the heart of the matter. My Oppo is connected via analog to a Parasound P7 preamp.

From the info that SeeMoreDigital provided, it seems like no Apple TV will do what I want. And a Roku I tested didn’t either. That’s OK; I’m willing to live with the consequences of my eccentric setup.

I've used Oppo 203 HDMI input with Apple 4KTV for listening via 5.1 Atmos music streaming to non Atmos old ass pioneer avr
With 5.1 analog rca input. Works n sounds great n staying with a 5.1 system!!!
Given that the OP wants to hear Atmos, your post is utterly pointless. Please keep your posts 'on topic' and stop confusing the issue!

;)
I understand your frustration, as well as your not wanting to throw good money after bad.

And before you abandon all hope, you might consider trying a 4k ATV from one of the numerous outlets that offer a 30-day return policy.

I understand your frustration, as well as your not wanting to throw good money after bad.

And before you abandon all hope, you might consider trying a 4k ATV from one of the numerous outlets that offer a 30-day return policy.
As previously mentioned...

If anyone connects an Apple TV 4K to the OPPO's HDMI input, they will not be able to pass Atmos meta-data to an AVR.

Anybody wanting to hear Atmos in all its glory will need to directly connect the Apple TV 4K to an (Atmos supporting) AVR via HDMI...

As previously mentioned...

If anyone connects an Apple TV 4K to the OPPO's HDMI input, they will not be able to pass Atmos meta-data to an AVR.

Anybody wanting to hear Atmos in all its glory will need to directly connect the Apple TV 4K to an (Atmos supporting) AVR via HDMI...
Yes. It was previously mentioned.

Yes. It was previously mentioned.
As also previously mentioned, I have no interest in Atmos. I did originally hope that the Apple TV would produce Dolby Digital 5.1 from Apple Music and Spotify spatial audio streams, but it doesn't. I can well imagine that an ATV 4K would be the same. I am nonetheless a happy camper since discovering that my ATV does provide 5:1 output from YouTube, and the sound from that via the Oppo is spectacular. I'm grateful to this forum for turning me on to what is out there on YT, and especially to the members who have uploaded surround content.

The Oppo 205 can't decode Atmos data either. But since it only has 7.1 outputs and none of them can be configured as height channels, I don't see how it could. Nor do any AVRs have analogue multi channel inputs that include height channels. This is the physical problem that means Atmos decodes can only be done in AVRs or soundbars. There may also be licencing restrictions knowing Dolby.
👌 exactly. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I can well imagine that an ATV 4K would be the same.
As mentioned a few times, the 4K model of Apple TV will connect to the Oppo, and output Atmos bed 5.1, along with Dolby Audio 5.1. The old standard Apple TV HD model will not, as you have learned. As for Spotify spatial audio, it doesn't exist. Spotify is lossy stereo only.

Back