Can I use my OPPO 203 HDMI input to stream dolby atmos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flytomars

Greetings!
My setup has no HDMI inputs - I am using a very old NAD pre/pro that has only analog / optical inputs.
I really like the sound of it and do not want to change to a new pre/pro (I have tried Emotiva and it sounded really bad in comparison).
Is it possible to connect a streamer to the HDMI in of the OPPO BDP203, and it will decode the atmos and output it via the OPPO analog outputs?
I do not care for the Atmos itself but just want a way to stream all the 5.1 material that is out in this format only, IE Revolver, Traffic etc...
Thanks for any help or any other ideas how can I stream 5.1 with this setup!

I don't see why it wouldn't work. The Oppo 203 should take the native Dolby 7.1 stream (which contains Atmos meta data) and downmix it to 5.1 for transfer via the analog outputs. Any other Oppo owners like to chime in on this?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

The Oppo 203 should take the native Dolby 7.1 stream (which contains Atmos meta data) and downmix it to 5.1 for transfer via the analog outputs.

That`s it, I was not sure what the OPPO is doing with the HDMI input - is it decoding it or just serving as a pass-thru for the HDMI?

Page 17 of the manual says that it will process signals. So it not just pass through.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 9.45.56 AM.png

Yep... The OPPO's 'HDMI Input' supports Atmos & Dolby Vision. Although you wont get Atmos if you connect an AppleTV 4K device, as they 'don't' send Atmos as a conventional bit-stream.

UPDATED INFO: Unfortunately, AppleTV 4K devices transcode 'variable' bit-rate Dolby audio bit-streams into 'constant' bit-rate 'packed transport' PCM audio streams. Known as: Dolby MAT (Metadata-Enhanced Audio Transport).

Unfortunately, the OPPO players do not support Dolby MAT audio streams via its HDMI input.

Last edited:
I have a 105D, and although I’ve never had the need to use its HDMI input, it’s supposed to allow the incoming signal to at least get the Darby treatment, so it seems likely that it would treat the incoming signal to whatever processing the deck would provide for a disc, network, or USB input. That would not include Atmos.

I have a 105D, and although I’ve never had the need to use its HDMI input, it’s supposed to allow the incoming signal to at least get the Darby treatment, so it seems likely that it would treat the incoming signal to whatever processing the deck would provide for a disc, network, or USB input. That would not include Atmos.
With regard to supporting Atmos via an OPPO's HDMI input(s). The BDP-10x players = maybe. The UDP-20x players = A definite yes.

With regard to supporting Atmos via an OPPO's HDMI input(s). The BDP-10x players = maybe. The UDP-20x players = A definite yes.
I’m just guessing, but I would expect the 10x to pass the Atmos metadata, certainly not decode it.

I’m just guessing, but I would expect the 10x to pass the Atmos metadata, certainly not decode it.
Indeed... No media playback device is able to decode Atmos or DTS:X object based (height element) meta-data. It has to be bit-streamed via HDMI to an AVR or dedicated processor.

Personally, I'd love it if a manufacturer made a stand-alone Atmos/DTS:X decoder. So those of us with analogue set-ups could enjoy Atmos without having to buy a massive AVR...

I don't see how it could given it doesn't have separate analogue outs for height channels.
Not only that, but it has no way to locate audio objects.

Again, while I haven't tried it (no Atmos capability - yet), I would be surprised if it affected any Atmos metadata.

Indeed... No media playback device is able to decode Atmos or DTS:X object based (height element) meta-data. It has to be bit-streamed via HDMI to an AVR or dedicated processor.

Personally, I'd love it if a manufacturer made a stand-alone Atmos/DTS:X decoder. So those of us with analogue set-ups could enjoy Atmos without having to buy a massive AVR...
As I understand the technology, which is minimal, the audio "objects" get located in the room based on room "correction" software or an extension thereof. Any decoder would require a setup procedure with a microphone and test tones. Or maybe someone with real experience can set me straight.

Hi,

So I am still confused with all your answers-
I do not expect the OPPO to decode the ATMOS as it doesn't have this capability, it is intended only for passthru via the HDMI.
However, to my knowledge, the ATMOS needs to have an AC3 core which my OPPO can decode, however how do I make sure that it does, and doesn't send the audio as is via HDMI?

As I understand the technology, which is minimal, the audio "objects" get located in the room based on room "correction" software or an extension thereof. Any decoder would require a setup procedure with a microphone and test tones. Or maybe someone with real experience can set me straight.
Actually the Atmos decoder goes by the speaker layout setting. 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, 9.1.6, ect.

I do not expect the OPPO to decode the ATMOS as it doesn't have this capability, it is intended only for passthru via the HDMI.
However, to my knowledge, the ATMOS needs to have an AC3 core which my OPPO can decode, however how do I make sure that it does, and doesn't send the audio as is via HDMI?
Blu-ray disc content encoded using 'lossless' Dolby TrueHD with Atmos includes a 'lossy' AC3 (Dolby Digital) core. Also, Blu-ray disc content encoded using 'lossy' Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos includes a 'lossy' AC3 (Dolby Digital) core.

By contrast streaming services encoded using 'lossy' Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos does not require a AC3 (Dolby Digital) core.

What type of device are you intending to connect to your OPPO's HDMI input?

Hi,

Not really a core, but an actual 2nd track. Both the HDMI and the analog outs should both pass it simultaneously.

Back