Can I use my OPPO 203 HDMI input to stream dolby atmos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blu-ray disc content encoded using 'lossless' Dolby TrueHD with Atmos includes a 'lossy' AC3 (Dolby Digital) core. Also, Blu-ray disc content encoded using 'lossy' Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos includes a 'lossy' AC3 (Dolby Digital) core.

By contrast streaming services encoded using 'lossy' Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos does not require a AC3 (Dolby Digital) core.

What type of device are you intending to connect to your OPPO's HDMI input?

I thought it would be some kind of Android streamer, unless you have a different suggestion?
So from what I gather, the streaming services do not offer a 5.1 non-Atmos option?
Oh well... then I guess I wont get to hear so many albums that are only offered via streaming in Atmos...

I thought it would be some kind of Android streamer, unless you have a different suggestion?
So from what I gather, the streaming services do not offer a 5.1 non-Atmos option?
Oh well... then I guess I wont get to hear so many albums that are only offered via streaming in Atmos...
Apple 4k into an Oppo 20x via HDMI input will provide 5.1 via the analog outputs. Seems like that is exactly what was being requested.

Apple 4k into an Oppo 20x via HDMI input will provide 5.1 via the analog outputs. Seems like that is exactly what was being requested.

I am not too familiar with the Apple 4k, are all the Dolby Atmos titles available in Apple 4k?
I dread the thought of signing up for an Apple service (sorry, been heavily burned by Itunes years ago) so thought of creating a Tidal account, but this is definitely a game changer.
Can you elaborate more on this format?
Thanks!

With regard to the likes of Amazon Prime Video, Disney, AppleTV (and more), they offer Atmos, along with a lossy with 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus bit-stream, which the OPPO can transcode to analogue and pass out of the RCA/phono outputs.... Which is what I do!

Personally speaking, I am unfamiliar which audio formats dedicated audio streaming services use!

Last edited:
Apple TV 4K that is being referenced is a device that streams video and audio. Apple TV 4K
The Apple TV 4K devices can output Atmos to the Oppo UDP-20x, while Tidal running on any streaming device (including the Apple 4K TV) will not output Atmos unless every device downstream is Atmos capable, and your preamp / processor is not Atmos capable.

So if you want to listen to streaming 5.1 on the rest of the equipment that you already have, the Apple TV 4K is the way to do it (with a subscription of course).

So if you want to listen to streaming 5.1 on the rest of the equipment that you already have, the Apple TV 4K is the way to do it (with a subscription of course).
It's also possible to connect a Roku Streaming Stick 4K or Fire TV Stick 4K to the OPPO's HDMI Input. And stream high resolution audio from the likes of Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music and even Apple Music.

Personally, I would no go anywhere near an Apple product that involves installing iTunes on a Windows computer....

It is understood that "high resolution audio" (defined in this context as red book (44KHz, 16 bits) or higher bit rates (96Khz/24bits) 2 channel audio) can be input to the HDMI input of the Oppo.
At least in my experiments using the Amazon Fire Cube and the Apple TV 4K device, I was never able to get multichannel audio (down-mixed Atmos) from Tidal on either device to the Oppo UDP-205.
I was able to get "high resolution audio" though, that was not my goal.

The combination that worked for me was Apple Music Atmos mixes, running on the Apple TV 4K device, outputting Atmos via HDMI, input to the Oppo, and output from Oppo via analog connections to my pre-amp / processor.

iTunes on a PC had nothing to do with it. I have used Apple Music on my phone to find Atmos albums because the search capabilities of Apple music on Apple TV 4K seems to leave a lot to be desired.

As a result of this, I have enjoyed Traffic / Low Spark of High Heeled Boys in 5.1 as well as other tracks not available anywhere else other than Tidal. This is what worked for me and I assume what would work for others in a similar situation.

What does iTunes and Windows computers have to do with any of this?
Well... Some time last year AppleTV+ launched an app on selected LG televisions along with a 3 month free voucher to the service.

However, as I've never owned an Apple product before and therefore don't have an Apple account, the only way I was able to create an Apple account was by installing iTunes on my Windows PC and creating one. Being somebody whos unfamiliar with "Apple speak" I found the entire process excruciatingly long winded and overly confusing.

Even now if I want access the AppleTV+ service on my TV, I have to scan a QR code that appears on my TV using a smart phone and enter a four digit code!

By contrast, creating accounts for every other media streaming service app on my LG television can be done entirely on the TV and activated via a confirmation email. Easy!

Well... Some time last year AppleTV+ launched an app on selected LG televisions along with a 3 month free voucher to the service.

However, as I've never owned an Apple product before and therefore don't have an Apple account, the only way I was able to create an Apple account was by installing iTunes on my Windows PC and creating one. Being somebody whos unfamiliar with "Apple speak" I found the entire process excruciatingly long winded and overly confusing.

Even now if I want access the AppleTV+ service on my TV, I have to scan a QR code that appears on my TV using a smart phone and enter a four digit code!

By contrast, creating accounts for every other media streaming service app on my LG television can be done entirely on the TV and activated via a confirmation email. Easy!
Long before I had a macbook I installed itunes on numerous windows laptops, it involved using an email address and choosing a password, why anyone would find that laborious and time consuming is beyond me

Lol... I knew this would wind up all you Apple fan-boys!
I didn't have to jump through any of the hoops you mentioned in your other post. I have never owned another Apple product other than one ATV, which I bought used on ebay for $35 shipped. I have never used iTunes in my life, yet I am streaming Atmos over Apple Music. Your hate seems to be affecting your judgement, and thinking skills, lol.

Indeed, it's very easy to create an Apple account if you buy an Apple product... Anyway... I'm out.
I don't get the connection. Why would you make an Apple account if you don't own an Apple product? That doesn't make sense. Again, your hate is affecting simple reasoning, lol.

Create an Apple ID on the web​

1. Go to appleid.apple.com and click Create Your Apple ID.
    A screenshot of appleid.apple.com, which features an Apple logo in the center of the screen surrounded by concentric colored circles.
  2. Follow the onscreen steps to provide an email address, create a strong password, and set your device region. The email address that you provide will be your new Apple ID.*

It is understood that "high resolution audio" (defined in this context as red book (44KHz, 16 bits) or higher bit rates (96Khz/24bits) 2 channel audio) can be input to the HDMI input of the Oppo.
At least in my experiments using the Amazon Fire Cube and the Apple TV 4K device, I was never able to get multichannel audio (down-mixed Atmos) from Tidal on either device to the Oppo UDP-205.
I was able to get "high resolution audio" though, that was not my goal.

The combination that worked for me was Apple Music Atmos mixes, running on the Apple TV 4K device, outputting Atmos via HDMI, input to the Oppo, and output from Oppo via analog connections to my pre-amp / processor.

iTunes on a PC had nothing to do with it. I have used Apple Music on my phone to find Atmos albums because the search capabilities of Apple music on Apple TV 4K seems to leave a lot to be desired.

As a result of this, I have enjoyed Traffic / Low Spark of High Heeled Boys in 5.1 as well as other tracks not available anywhere else other than Tidal. This is what worked for me and I assume what would work for others in a similar situation.

Great, this is the answer I was waiting for, even including the Traffic album which is one of the reason I want Atmos in the first place :)
Thanks everyone, you've all been very helpfull, Apple4K it is then!

Edit: bought! will update once everything is set up.

Last edited:
Ok, Apple TV up and running (after a few hours of trying to get in with my Apple id, I forgot how much I hate Apple),
Traffic was a blast, same for Revolver, what next? I found several interesting mixes but not all are as discreet- are there any recommendations for Atmos tracks with a good old 5.1 mix?
Prefer the 70s or any other music that is out there (free jazz, avant garde, anything with an edge)

Back