Can one rip Atmos discs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The panny actually played Xanadu and cinderella man gaplessly from 2 individual files inside a folder. That Part is licked!

But I can use MMH to extract such chapters correct?

OK!! Like shooting fish in a barrel thanks to Gary;s MMH. :)

Got a few best songs From ELP, YES and UK. All DTS-HD. Next ATMOS, thanks again!

To play Atmos you’ll need to create a file that can contain an Atmos stream that your panny can play.

For audio only playback:
MMH tool ‘Extract Audio from MKV’ can do that as an MKA or M4A file but your panny probably can’t play m4a files with Atmos.

For video just use mkv

Last edited:
What I need is a way to identify individual chapters within a full video so they show up like what happens with CUE files for music. I use KODI,

There may be a way to this. I'll have a play later today and see.

I just did a quick test something I hoped would work. It didn’t. I’ll look at something else tomorrow.

I‘ve got a way to do it in mind but we’ll need a Kodi developer to help out. I’ll write something up and send it to a couple of devs that do Kodi music. If they were to take it on it might get into Kodi 20, the next major release. Of course, they may not be interested or have the time to implement anything.

To play Atmos you’ll need to create a file that can contain an Atmos stream that your panny can play.

For audio only playback:
MMH tool ‘Extract Audio from MKV’ can do that as an MKA or M4A file but your panny probably can’t play m4a files with Atmos.

For video just use mkv
As always you were right, not atmos on MKV or MP4 on the panny, but DTS-HD yes but lpcm 7.1 neither, Will give MKA a try.

On the other hand the oppo 203 with the iso mod plays everything I throw at it.;)

So I tried the M4A Output but did not work, could it be the kbps output, are there settings for that on MMH?

This should work according to the Panny's owner's manual.
48-328khzps.PNG

MKA will not work either on you panny if MKV won’t. (Same wrapper).

The M4A files MMH makes have TrueHD streams, not AAC. Only recently TrueHD could be added to M4A so not many devices or players support playback of m4a with TrueHD yet. Old hardware no way if it’s not baked in to the firmware).

Kodi and Foobar (with Foobar‘s ffmpeg plug-in configured for m4a to use ffmpeg) can play m4a with Atmos, truehd and DTS etc).

Looks like you can’t play Atmos on the Panny.

Oh well, it was worth a try. :) At least it does mch FLAC and dsf brilliantly on a 115$ player in fantastic quality as good as the 900$ Panny. Thanks again for your guidance.

With my hardware modded oppo it plays everything great. Seamlessly playing the MKV Atmos handpicked chapters consecutively so I got the atmos playlist going that way. Cheers!

I'm having problems playing ATMOS from certain ripped MKV files. The two are The Tipping Point and Give It Back. I had previously ripped seven titles to MKV and they play without any problems.

Associated equipment:
- Oppo 205
- Marantz SR7013 (AVR)

When I "ripped" the file, I opened the blu-ray in MakeMKV, and then made the MKV file using the "Make MKV" button:

Tipping Point MKV.jpg

When I try to play the file on the Oppo, sometimes there is no sound and sometimes it plays in 5.1. Here is what the screen shows while invoking the Oppo audio selection menu:

Tipping Point Screen.jpg

If I'm do get sound playing, it is the DTS-HD MA 5.1 stream. When I change to the English MLP, the player shows time still ticking off (playing) but I get no sound and the AVR does not recognize the stream.

On all the other Atmos MKV's that I made, the audio menu only shows an MLP stream, not the others as on these particular albums.

Did I perhaps do something incorrectly when making the MKV file?

Are native ATMOS files on disc lossy or lossless (or both, as on a disc that offers both a DTS and DTS-MA version)?
In relation to: Tears for Fears, Tipping Point...

Disc-wise... Both the DTS-HD MA (6Ch 4,808Kbps 48.0KHz 24-bit) and Dolby (TrueHD) Atmos (8/16Ch 6,505 Kbps 48.0KHz 24-bit) streams are lossless, which also contain a lossy DTS (1,509Kbps 48.0KHz) and Dolby Digital EX (640Kbps 48.0KHz) core ;)

Last edited:
Duh on me, I meant DTS and DVD-A.
I'm not with you... What has "DTS and DVD-A" got to do with your Dolby Atmos question?

Atmos is a Dolby Labs creation. It only exists alongside Dolby TrueHD (which is lossless encoded on Blu-ray audio discs) or Dolby Digital Plus (which is lossy encoded and mainly used by streaming services).

Last edited:
I tried to rip my first Atmos disc usin MKV as always, an MKV file went into MMH Atmos Help, don't have that Atmos plugin so used the Source Channel Layout and created the files from wav (couldn't do it straight from mkv), see screen, where am I going from here?

abc.jpg

The MMH Atmos Helper tools allow decoding to wav or encoding multichannel interlaced files to Atmos if you also have Dolby applications installed.

Do you have an Atmos AVR or a Dolby TrueHD AVR? If so you can play the Atmos stream without needing to decode. Just remux (repackage) into a file format you can play. This depends on your media player. What are you using?

You can use the MMH Extract Audio from MKV to split files into M4A and tag etc for Kodi or the Chapter Editor to create a CUE file for your MKV file. You can then play the Atmos streams.

Back