Can Streaming ATMOS Replace Blu-ray Audio?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is unfortunate that any given youtube video opened up for comments will attract asshats
Dude was probably drunk. Plus, many respondents from that group are viewing the question purely from a technical standpoint.
Problem is, people often don't make decisions based on technical details. If streaming can be made to sound "good enough," is more convenient, with higher selection and lower cost, it will probably replace blu-ray, at least for a significant number of consumers.

Dude was probably drunk. Plus, many respondents from that group are viewing the question purely from a technical standpoint.
Problem is, people often don't make decisions based on technical details. If streaming can be made to sound "good enough," is more convenient, with higher selection and lower cost, it will probably replace blu-ray, at least for a significant number of consumers.

Exactly!! And even though I'm generalizing, many people answering from the technical standpoint are exactly the same ones who also buy into the ultra high end product lines, the cable/wire snake oil and the equipment modification snake oil. They really only hear what they want to hear because they have invested a lot of $$$$$.

Exactly!! And even though I'm generalizing, many people answering from the technical standpoint are exactly the same ones who also buy into the ultra high end product lines, the cable/wire snake oil and the equipment modification snake oil. They really only hear what they want to hear because they have invested a lot of $$$$$.
My guess is that most members of that group are in to ATMOS movies, not albums as much.

My guess is that most members of that group are in to ATMOS movies, not albums as much.
Precisely. I would guess 99% of the population of most groups like that would be into movies.

It is interesting to ask the question to people in the hobby:
*Can a system play both movies and music or do the two not mix?
- I bet more than 75% answer that it's either one or the other but not both movies and music.

And here is a response about streaming music from someone who has spent a lot of $$$$$ on their system. And please, don't take this as a criticism or judgement from me or assume that the person is an audio snob (they very well could be or may not be), but the fact is that people similar to us here spend a lot of cash on this stuff and believe that by spending lots of $$$$$ they will get the best sound. Some people spend what they can, as their budget allows and expect to get the best sound. And there is no wrong answer or minimum/maximum $$$$$ investment. However IMO - money spent does not always equal a good, better or best sound quality.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 2.35.47 PM.png

Just received this charming comment on a Facebook ATMOS group:
Facebook, the land of perpetual derp.

I for one am glad for your videos on their service. Today decided to make a project of a handful of tech things. In the process, I watched your latest video and, because of your analysis, I signed up for a trial. Jury is out, obviously.

Last edited:
I also need to remember to "record" some songs getting cut off for their support ticket. They mean a brief video on my phone, I'm guessing?
Anyone else bugging them about the cut off at the beginning of songs? Has it been a problem the last couple of days?
I only notice the cutoff at the beginning while streaming -- the source mp4 file does not have the issue.
So they should be able to fix that without modifying the existing source mp4 files.

But the low volume is a problem on the source file.

Back