Can the New SONY UBP-X800M2 BLU RAY Player now Play Home Burned DVD-AUDIO Discs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have played my SACD en DVD-A titles without any problem on the Sony. But I could not play a burned DVD-A. Has anyone succeeded with this? I want to burn 24/192 wavs on DVD-A (I have a bunch of blancs lying around).

I have played my SACD en DVD-A titles without any problem on the Sony. But I could not play a burned DVD-A. Has anyone succeeded with this? I want to burn 24/192 wavs on DVD-A (I have a bunch of blancs lying around).
Burned dvd-a or sacd never worked on my X800. the version 2 is identical to original X800 with the addition of Dolby Vision. 99.9% chance says the version 2 will not play burned discs.

The manual states that DVD+/-R and DVD+/-RW can be played provided that the disc is mastered and finalized. Apparently this only goes for DVD-V and not DVD-A?? Is this functionality crippled in the firmware? Is there someone in the know who can clarify this? Answers are much appreciated.

The manual states that DVD+/-R and DVD+/-RW can be played provided that the disc is mastered and finalized. Apparently this only goes for DVD-V and not DVD-A?? Is this functionality crippled in the firmware? Is there someone in the know who can clarify this? Answers are much appreciated.
Yes only DVD-V, I've played burned DVD-video but no success with burned DVD-A.

Has anyone tried burning a DVD-A and setting the book type to DVD-ROM? I think this makes the disc indistinguishable from a commercially-produced disc. I'm not sure what burners support setting arbitrary book types these days.

Could you just not put those on a BD-R as a data disc? This would give you 25 GB to work with for less than $1.

Could you just not put those on a BD-R as a data disc? This would give you 25 GB to work with for less than $1.

It depends on your goal. If you want a disc that will play in all DVD-A players, such as in many Acuras, in addition to this BD player, then no.

Sorry to necro an old thread, but the X800M2 is my current player. I can't test it right now (my HT gear is all disconnected and stored while we renovate), but if it won't play burned media, what are the options out there? Anything currently being manufactured/sold that can play the burned DVD-A (or SACD) discs?

I mean, if I have to save up the outrageous money for an Oppo on eBay, I guess I will, but...

I mean, if I have to save up the outrageous money for an Oppo on eBay, I guess I will, but...
Doesn't need to be outrageous, if your requirements are burned DVD-A an Oppo 93 or 95 will do the job. If the firmware is old enough they will even play burned SACD.

Burned SACD is hard to get playback of, the Blu Ray forum made it a licencing requirement that those won't play.

Last edited:
Sorry to necro an old thread, but the X800M2 is my current player. I can't test it right now (my HT gear is all disconnected and stored while we renovate), but if it won't play burned media, what are the options out there? Anything currently being manufactured/sold that can play the burned DVD-A (or SACD) discs?

I own this (the newer M2 version) and can confirm that it will not play my burned DVD-A discs. It plays just about everything else. My workaround for this is to create FLAC versions of the albums I have on burned DVD-As and play them through a USB thumb drive on the Sony. Workaround #2 is I still have my ancient Oppo 83 that will play these burned DVD-A discs. (But my Oppo is on its last legs and seems to be having trouble reading discs more and more frequently, so I am relying on the Sony more now.)

Doesn't need to be outrageous, if you're requirements are burned DVD-A an Oppo 93 or 95 will do the job. If the firmware is old enough they will even play burned SACD.
Fair! I was sort of hoping to only have one disc spinner in my cabinet, but it stands to reason that there's no one perfect player (although the Oppos came close). Heck, the X800M2 has another flaw: manual switching for Dolby Vision. Not a dealbreaker; just annoying.
Burned SACD is hard to get playback of, the Blu Ray forum made it a licencing requirement that those won't play.
Sony gonna Sony.
I own this (the newer M2 version) and can confirm that it will not play my burned DVD-A discs. It plays just about everything else. My workaround for this is to create FLAC versions of the albums I have on burned DVD-As and play them through a USB thumb drive on the Sony. Workaround #2 is I still have my ancient Oppo 83 that will play these burned DVD-A discs. (But my Oppo is on its last legs and seems to be having trouble reading discs more and more frequently, so I am relying on the Sony more now.)
Yeah, my next step is looking into ways I can rip/convert/play. Ideally I'd like to put all my multichannel music on my NAS.

Update: I found out on AVSForum (from an owner) that the Reavon X200 plays burned DVD-As. My guess is that the X100 would too, but it's not certain.

I am hoping that this means the upcoming X110 (which includes SACD playback) will play them. That could conceivably be my single spinner. It almost certainly won't play burned SACD (given what @Owen Smith said above), but that is what it is. Obviously the X200 could do it, but that's a pricier box that has stuff (e.g. the analog outs) I don't need.

Oppo (probably) still offers a flat-rate repair for all their players, I’ve gotten my 83 renovated in the last couple years anyway. It was $75 IIRC, return shipping included so you also cover shipping it to them. Check their website to confirm actual availability and price. Include a note with all the symptoms you want addressed, obviously. Mine still plays some, but not all, burned SACDs, just like always.

This is an old thread, but it probably gets looked at a lot.
My Oppo BDP-80, with all firmware updates that came out, will play both SACD-R & DVDA-R.
I suppose for whatever reason, probably age, the Blu Ray association (read:Sony) didn't mandate crippling their first Blu Ray player.
Now I've never seen in casual looking on Ebay one of these players for sale, but that doesn't mean there aren't any out there. It's true my BDP-80 is getting kind of long in the tooth but the only problems I ever had (skipping) with it were cleared up by opening the unit and giving the laser a good cleaning.
The good news is that as far as I know the folks that do the Oppo repairs in California will still repair them. I know they repaired my even older DV-970HD for the princely sum of $49 including return shipping. Repair prices are fixed, but go up in price as you progress upward (newer) in models.
Contact is made by emailing [email protected]. This should get you to the Menlo Park, California based OT Service.

It seems that DVD-Audio is a dead format. Now you have to be careful as when DVD-Audio is mentioned often DVD-Video is actually being referred to!
At least we have Blu Ray to replace DVD-Audio, although it isn't a full replacement as Blu Ray can't do 44.1KHz and multiples of it. On the other hand Blu Ray can do lossless hi res multi channel audio with 1080p video (and better on 4K blu ray), which is considerable compensation for potentially having to sample rate convert the audio.

At least we have Blu Ray to replace DVD-Audio, although it isn't a full replacement as Blu Ray can't do 44.1KHz and multiples of it.
I don't think I've ever run into a commercial DVD-Audio with 44.1/88.2 kHz sampling. It must not be very common. Or you you speaking about the authoring aspect?

I don't think I've ever run into a commercial DVD-Audio with 44.1/88.2 kHz sampling. It must not be very common. Or you you speaking about the authoring aspect?
Loads of Oxford Dickie's quad decodes are on DVD-Audio with 44.1KHz sampling, because they were decoded from CDs so this avoids a sample rate conversion. Admittedly that isn't commercial authoring.

Back