Can We Talk About Upmixes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I know its not allowed to discuss sources and handling of fan made upmixes, and I've never been a big fan of them.

But I was pretty impressed by an upmix of The Wall the other day. Anyone else heard it? With no word from the PF camp regarding a proper surround release coming anytime soon, it might be the best surround version many of us older farts will ever hear.

And if this thread is breaking the forum rules in any way.... well please.... no banish Luv.

I know its not allowed to discuss sources and handling of fan made upmixes, and I've never been a big fan of them.

But I was pretty impressed by an upmix of The Wall the other day. Anyone else heard it? With no word from the PF camp regarding a proper surround release coming anytime soon, it might be the best surround version many of us older farts will ever hear.

And if this thread is breaking the forum rules in any way.... well please.... no banish Luv.
Who says it's not allowed to discuss upmixes, (maybe not shared stuff :unsure:) but our own up-mixing adventures should be no problem.

Some day I wouldn't mind taking a stab at The Wall (it's actually pretty far down my list of ones to do) either Penteo or Surround Master, etc...

Yeah, I don't know that we'll ever get a legit new studio surround mix of The Wall, I think last year was 40th anniversary right?

OK this Wall upmix seems so well done. I know is all trickery and such, but this guy got a truly discreet effect through a lot of it. Great fidelity too.

Technically, if you own the source of the upmix in your collection, how can having someone prepare the upmix for you be considered improper?

OK here's something I just threw together, working in Audacity that may have some potential.
I used the Audio Fidelity 2010 SACD rip of Miles, Someday My Prince Will Come of the track Old Folks; (it started as a 3 channel -5.0 with a couple silent channels. I deleted the 5th channel, moved the Front Left channel (piano) to both rears (Quad), then moved Mile's trumpet in the center to the Right Front and Coltrane's Sax from the Right Front to the Left Front. I think it sounds pretty cool that way, but might want to do something else with the rear piano channels.
Any thoughts?

MD-SDMPWC-QUAD.jpg

MD-SDMPWC-3CH-WF.jpg

MD-SDMPWC-QUAD-WF.jpg

OK this Wall upmix seems so well done. I know is all trickery and such, but this guy got a truly discreet effect through a lot of it. Great fidelity too.

If it's DKA's Spec upmix you're talking about--sourced from the Immersion box remastered RBCD, I think--then I totally agree. There's a similarly amazing upmix of Animals...but of course we're all hoping to see the real thing soon. Any day now. Right?

If it's DKA's Spec upmix you're talking about--sourced from the Immersion box remastered RBCD, I think--then I totally agree. There's a similarly amazing upmix of Animals...but of course we're all hoping to see the real thing soon. Any day now. Right?
Is DKA still around? Every upmix of his/hers I’ve heard has been excellent!

You can talk all you like about upmixes, you just can't post links to them or ask where to get them in the open forum. What you do in PM's (Conversations) is up to you and open to anything as they are private.

Not DKA. The name on this one is Area 51. It came formatted as a 5.0 DVDA ISO. There was also a DTS version. Only 4 tracks corresponding to the 4 original LP sides. Let me know if you are curious.

Last edited:
Not DKA. The name on this one is Area 51. It came formatted as a DVDA ISO. There was also a DTS version. Only 4 tracks corresponding to the 4 original LP sides. Let me know if you are curious.

If that's the case then it's the Movie Soundtrack from the DVD (Video). The songs are different mixes and there is a real 5.1 mix, although it's not spectacular. However, if that's the version I have heard, there are some edits in there that ruin the flow of the tunes. For example, during Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2, in the movie the teachers voice is heard between verses, but that version had those passages edited out which ruins the flow of the tune.

That being said there are quite a few upmixes of THE WALL out there. Who really knows where they all came from and which one you actually heard.

If that's the case then it's the Movie Soundtrack from the DVD (Video). The songs are different mixes and there is a real 5.1 mix, although it's not spectacular. However, if that's the version I have heard, there are some edits in there that ruin the flow of the tunes. For example, during Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2, in the movie the teachers voice is heard between verses, but that version had those passages edited out which ruins the flow of the tune.

That being said there are quite a few upmixes of THE WALL out there. Who really knows where they all came from and which one you actually heard.
This doesn't seem to be the movie soundtrack. No edits. Maybe its not as spectacular as a true release, but a lot of discrete moments. And with all those sound effects... :rocks

I used SpecWeb to upmix a few Robert Rich albums and they came out great! (I wouldn't doubt the official 5.1 mixes did something similar because the few samples I got sound the same). I compared the waveforms in Audacity and there are differences but listening, I couldn't tell what they were... I don't know the SpecWeb secret sauce but it does an amazing job. I have the button on my remote to upmix on my Nvidia Shield but that just plays left and right in the rear channels. SpecWeb seems to pull stuff out and move it to the rear channels but in the original resolution. I was interested in it because there are so many subtle sounds in Ambient music and specweb made those come out a little more. I now prefer the upmixes, I made. It also does not reduce the quality like the on demand upmix from the shield.

I've tried Specweb so many times in the last few years, and I'm hardly ever impressed. Yes, it does move things to other speakers...but nearly 95% of the titles I do have that crazy warbly, under water sound that I just can't get over.

That's just me, and I'm super pleased others find enjoyment from it. Heck, I've even donated money to the cause....

I've tried Specweb so many times in the last few years, and I'm hardly ever impressed. Yes, it does move things to other speakers...but nearly 95% of the titles I do have that crazy warbly, under water sound that I just can't get over.

That's just me, and I'm super pleased others find enjoyment from it. Heck, I've even donated money to the cause....
I haven't dabbled in it at all, in spite of the software being loaded on my laptop for years. But there are ears on this forum that I respect who really do like it. Garry (HomerJAU) has started processing and capturing his own Specweb upmixes for playback through a media player. And I know Jon has spoke about playing with it.

I don't recall hearing those type of artifacts much in this Wall upmix. In fact one of the things that impressed me was how good the overall fidelity was. The bass is awesome on my system. Things will rattle! In parts, the mix reminded me of listening to the Amused to Death 5.1, where there is a big-ish, stereo-ish music track with a lot of discrete surround effects. But this takes it a step further with some instruments and vocals isolated in the rears as well. Drums always strong and upfront.

Id like to know how it was made.

Last edited:
This doesn't seem to be the movie soundtrack. No edits. Maybe its not as spectacular as a true release, but a lot of discrete moments. And with all those sound effects... :rocks

If it's 24-48 .flacs with zero compression, then I know which mix you're speaking of, and it's a pretty good one. :unsure:
Mysterious!

Back