DTS-CD Can you make a DTS file other than .wav?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Is it possible to convert a DTS .wav file to either .WMA or .AIFF?

I would guess "No", but I figured I'd ask..............

:yikes

Hi Jon. Yes, an application called Wondershare Media Converter ( http://www.dvd-ripper-copy.com/media-converter.html ) will convert a 5.1 DTS .wav file to either a .WMA or a .AIFF file. I just tested this and in my experience the .WMA file would play back in stereo only but the .AIFF file played back in 5.1. There is an option for various sample rates for both file types.

Looks like they want about $30 for the application. I used an evaluation copy. Played the converted file in FooBar.

Just curious but what are you planning to do with .WMA or .AIFF? Playing surround files from an ipod in the car?

Happy New Year,
George

Probably using WMA or AIFF as a "container" file that allows for tagging etc, in order to put it on a network share.

Hi Jon. Yes, an application called Wondershare Media Converter ( http://www.dvd-ripper-copy.com/media-converter.html ) will convert a 5.1 DTS .wav file to either a .WMA or a .AIFF file. I just tested this and in my experience the .WMA file would play back in stereo only but the .AIFF file played back in 5.1. There is an option for various sample rates for both file types.

Looks like they want about $30 for the application. I used an evaluation copy. Played the converted file in FooBar.

Just curious but what are you planning to do with .WMA or .AIFF? Playing surround files from an ipod in the car?

Happy New Year,
George

Hi George,

Good guess. Yup, I just got an "upgrade" (re: new car) and the thing has a USB hookup and internal hard drive. I wanted to try DTS files on a memory stick. Put 3 on there and nothing was found. After reading the manual (yes, I had to resort to reading the manual), I saw that it only read WMA, MP3 or AIFF, not .wav files.

I'm not sure if the internal DTS Decoder in the ELS system is even in the path of the USB stick, but I wanted to give it a shot. For $30, I'll try your suggestion. I'm always up for trying new stuff anyway.

THANKS!

Congrats on the new car. Nice Xmas gift. :)

Please let us know if the USB port accesses the DTS decoder. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it does.

FooBar also converts 5.1 DTS .wav files to 5.1 .AIFF files. Not as pretty as that other application but $30 less expensive. Just an FYI.

Last edited:
Hi George,

Good guess. Yup, I just got an "upgrade" (re: new car) and the thing has a USB hookup and internal hard drive. I wanted to try DTS files on a memory stick. Put 3 on there and nothing was found. After reading the manual (yes, I had to resort to reading the manual), I saw that it only read WMA, MP3 or AIFF, not .wav files.

I'm not sure if the internal DTS Decoder in the ELS system is even in the path of the USB stick, but I wanted to give it a shot. For $30, I'll try your suggestion. I'm always up for trying new stuff anyway.

THANKS!

Will be suprised if it does work, my AVX33 does dts cd and on USB can read mp3, wma and wave, but no way to feed it with a dts wav!

Congrats on the new car. Nice Xmas gift. :)

Please let us know if the USB port accesses the DTS decoder. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it does.

FooBar also converts 5.1 DTS .wav files to 5.1 .AIFF files. Not as pretty as that other application but $30 less expensive. Just an FYI.

George,

I downloaded the demo of the conversion software, but the player does not see the files. I probably need to add the ID3 metadata to each .AIFF file, but not sure how to do this.

Any ideas? (Windows 7 x64)

THANKS

Just saw your note. iTunes has a ID3 metadata editor for .aiff files. Add your tune and select it. Go to the top toolbar under file/get info. This opens an editor. You can add all the info you want and save it.

If that allows your player to see the .aiff file, its a miracle. But I suppose its possible. Can your player see a stereo .aiff file? Or any .aiff file? I believe you're thinking that your player requires metadata to see a .aiff file.

My experience with ID3 metadata for .aiff files is limited to what I read after a brief Google search and a wikipedia article on the subject. The only reason I have iTunes on my PC is because I received an iPod as a gift and had my grandson show me how to load music on it. I'm going to plug it into my truck's receiver when the weather warms up.

Good luck with the project of loading mutichannel .aiff into your new car's player. I'd still like to know if the USB port plays through the DTS decoder. Maybe some of the younger members on the forum can help more with the tagging and metadata issue. Seems making the multichannel .aiff was the easy part of the process.

Will be suprised if it does work, my AVX33 does dts cd and on USB can read mp3, wma and wave, but no way to feed it with a dts wav!

Hi winopener. So you're saying that your USB port does not allow a multichannel DTS .wav to play through the DTS decoder?

One would think there'd be a way to add a jumper.

I was referring to a jumper wire from the USB port to the DTS decoder. I'm sure the DTS decoder doesn't care whether the bit stream comes from a CD player or a USB port.

I was referring to a jumper wire from the USB port to the DTS decoder. I'm sure the DTS decoder doesn't care whether the bit stream comes from a CD player or a USB port.

How?
The dts decoder is internal, on the unit.

I use MIL-W-81822/4 30awg solid conductor wire, RMA flux, Sn63/Pb37 solder, and a soldering iron. Deflux with pure grain alcohol (everclear). I've been known to modify some consumer electronics designs to meet my own needs. You can't really blame the original design engineer. We are in a niche hobby. Who could have anticipated that a group like us would be putting 5.1 DTS files on a jump drive wanting to play it back through a DTS decoder. Shoot, we can't even get our music released from the music companies. So we make and modify our own.

That's why I am so interested in Jon's case as to whether they included that circuit in his brand new unit. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they did?

Happy new year,
George

George,
considering your reasoning i thought of a different situation.
I have a standalone player that does dvd-a, dts cd etc... plays back watermarked copies etc.
It does have a usb and sd card slot.
Do you think it will be possible to mod this unit to make it play iso images from hard drive files?

If I'm understanding your question correctly, I believe that's a software issue rather than a hardware issue. The iso image must first be mounted before it will play through the USB port, must n't it? Haven't tried that myself yet, but think I will now that you mention it. I know the USB port is there to allow playing music from a hard drive, but I don't know what format the music must be in for the player to access it.

I was thrilled when my player played a .avi file from a disc. I'm so far behind the times.

Jut downloaded WAV format WYWH, burnt it to a cd, and it plays static on my cd player(as it should, no digital connection) it was all white noise static in the DVD player which uses coaxial audio out and static in the ps2 which uses optical out. Why?

Seems like the optical and coax cables are not accessing a DTS decoder. That is if you were talking about a DTS .wav. If you were talking about a regular .wav file, seems like you had an error in the burning process.

DTS-WAV files look like 16/44.1 WAV files, but that's just the header telling porkies.
To burn a DTS-WAV to CD, use a CD-Audio creation tool.
Then play out through a DTS decoder from a player set to pass the bitstream intact to the decoder, or else through one that decodes onboard & outputs 6 mono streams.

Ok, I just aquired 3 DTS CDs of Q8 tapes. Next time im down in Levittown, I'll bring them and see what the results are. If they work, I recorded the WYWH wrong (it took a long ass time to burn that disc too) idk why, the computer down there is messed up anyway. If the 3 CDs do not play, it's a problem with my Hook ups and/or equipment. I had a bitch of a time finding DTS files for download. In just looking for quad recordings in DTS formats such ad .WAV that I can burn with iTunes or windows media player

Back