Capitol/EMI group USA DVD-Audio's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
HELP!

Am I missing any? We're there any non-USA releases?

• The Band - Music from Big Pink
  • Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
  • Beatles - Love
  • David Bowie - Stage
  • David Bowie - David Live
  • Crowded House - Crowded House
  • Al Green - Greatest Hits
  • Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
  • Dave Koz - The Dance
  • Queensryche - Empire
  • R.E.M. - Document
  • Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
  • Bonnie Raitt - Nick of Time
  • Richard Thompson - Rumour and Sigh

I have these which list EMI or Capital as the label

Its a screen snip from my list stored using Collectorz - Music Collector (Database Software)
This looks similar to an Excel spreadsheet I started (I also have columns for where purchased and how much I paid); which I'm really far behind in keeping up to date. I'd bet the Collectorz database is easier to work with though.

I'll look through my spreadsheet to see anything not mentioned yet.

HELP!

Am I missing any? We're there any non-USA releases?

• The Band - Music from Big Pink
  • Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
  • Beatles - Love
  • David Bowie - Stage
  • David Bowie - David Live
  • Crowded House - Crowded House
  • Al Green - Greatest Hits
  • Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
  • Dave Koz - The Dance
  • Queensryche - Empire
  • R.E.M. - Document
  • Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
  • Bonnie Raitt - Nick of Time
  • Richard Thompson - Rumour and Sigh

i don't think there were any non-U.S. releases? i don't have the Queensryche & Crowded House DualDiscs but i've these DVD-A's, plus "Love" which i didn't include in the pic as it's in different packaging. from Top L;

REM - Document,
Medeski, Martin And Wood - Uninvisible,
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream,
Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time,
The Band - Music From Big Pink,
Cassandra Wilson - Traveling Miles,
N.E.R.D. - In Search Of,
Everclear - So Much For The Afterglow,
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds,
David Bowie - David Live,
David Bowie - Stage,
The Thrills - So Much For The City,
Bonnie Raitt - Nick Of Time,
Dave Koz - The Dance,
Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom,
Richard Thompson - Rumour And Sigh,
Deep Purple - Concerto For Group And Orchestra,
Al Green - Greatest Hits,
Crowded House - Crowded House,
Queensrÿche - Empire

18CC5DFF-06B9-4B50-9AD4-94DF3853C912.jpeg

This looks similar to an Excel spreadsheet I started (I also have columns for where purchased and how much I paid); which I'm really far behind in keeping up to date. I'd bet the Collectorz database is easier to work with though.

I'll look through my spreadsheet to see anything not mentioned yet.
It is, you enter the details and it goes to Collectorz central database and inputs the data, you can read IDs via the CD/DVD drive (works for CDs), or I've a Bar Code scanner which is quicker, and lots of people (me included) upload the data so it finds a lot of SACD/DVD-A/BD-A.

Last edited:
i don't think there were any non-U.S. releases? i don't have the Queensryche & Crowded House DualDiscs but i've these DVD-A's, plus "Love" which i didn't include in the pic as it's in different packaging. from Top L;

REM - Document,
Medeski, Martin And Wood - Uninvisible,
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream,
Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time,
The Band - Music From Big Pink,
Cassandra Wilson - Traveling Miles,
N.E.R.D. - In Search Of,
Everclear - So Much For The Afterglow,
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds,
David Bowie - David Live,
David Bowie - Stage,
The Thrills - So Much For The City,
Bonnie Raitt - Nick Of Time,
Dave Koz - The Dance,
Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom,
Richard Thompson - Rumour And Sigh,
Deep Purple - Concerto For Group And Orchestra,
Al Green - Greatest Hits,
Crowded House - Crowded House,
Queensrÿche - Empire

View attachment 40245

I'm still working on hunting down that Crowded House (Freddie strikes again:censored:)

Good luck, the EMI dvd-audio (save for Love) have been the toughest ever to find.

they are scarce, yes!
do you have any info on how many copies they may have manufactured of each title?
could it be a few thousand discs replicated in one run and that was it?

Adam, I would assume from their relative scarcity that Capitol/EMI didn't press more than a few thousand or so DVD~As and the shame is the Eric Johnson and Cassandra Wilson titles were 'botch' jobs from a mastering perspective..and were NEVER corrected/repressed.

EMI also released a handful of Classical DVD~A Titles, as well and should they be added to the list, as well?

An interesting article from Stereophile Magazine 2001: https://www.stereophile.com/news/11206/index.html

Leon Russell's RETROSPECTIVE was also slated for a Capitol DVD~A release ..... and was apparently canceled!
Retrospective

Last edited:
Adam, I would assume from their relative scarcity that Capitol/EMI didn't press more than a few thousand or so DVD~As and the shame is the Eric Johnson and Cassandra Wilson titles were 'botch' jobs from a mastering perspective..and were NEVER corrected/repressed.

EMI also released a handful of Classical DVD~A Titles, as well and should they be added to the list, as well?

An interesting article from Stereophile Magazine 2001: https://www.stereophile.com/news/11206/index.html

Apparently, Leon Russell's RETROSPECTIVE was also slated for a Capitol DVD~A release ..... and was apparently canceled!
Retrospective

oh yes! good call! the Classical EMI's! i will get into that now! 🤪

Since Universal apparently walked away with the prize when they purchased the Capitol/EMI popular catalogue [including that gift that keeps on giving: the extremely lucrative Beatles catalogue] and WARNERS was left with the EMI/CAPITOL Classical catalogue which contains literally hundreds of SQ single inventory ANGEL QUAD titles, I am quite surprised that they didn't task the resurrection of these QUADS to either Pentatone or Dutton Vocalion.

Warners has released a handful of former EMI QUAD/Stereo titles via their Japanese branch on pricey Stereo SACDs but why purchase an entire catalogue at I'm sure a princely sum and leave them rotting in the vaults?

Capitol/EMI Classical titles are among the world's treasures and those hundreds of QUAD Masters would certainly welcome a new home.

Wonder if any plans are currently in the works to release some of these QUAD treasures in spanking new reissues?

Last edited:
Back