Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles! Live! - Sony Japan 7" Quad SACD 9/21/2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, any thoughts about this Japan release? Interesting comparing to DV SACD edition.
I have the same question.
I purchased the Dutton Vocalion release when it came out.
I just this week got the 7" SACD.
I purchased the 7" solely for my 7" collection.
I have listened to the DV release maybe 2 times.
I assume they sound the same? I figure I will not bother ripping this new to me 7" because they sound the same.
I have not heard anything like "out of phase" discussion.

I have the same question.
I purchased the Dutton Vocalion release when it came out.
I just this week got the 7" SACD.
I purchased the 7" solely for my 7" collection.
I have listened to the DV release maybe 2 times.
I assume they sound the same? I figure I will not bother ripping this new to me 7" because they sound the same.
I have not heard anything like "out of phase" discussion.
hmm.. 🤔.. i'd be surprised if they had wildly different mastering tbh but even more surprised if they had the same mastering, Sony Japan tend to do their own mastering work on these 7" Quads (has there been one yet that was a straight transfer of the 4-ch tapes? i don't think so..?) and Dutton Vocalion of course always do their own spiffing new remasters of the old Quads.. but you never know, Sony might've digged the Warford Wizzes' work so much they said "ah! let's half inch it and 'ope no-one notices!" 😅😋

I was just too curious. I decided to rip the 7" Japanese and compare back to back between the Dutton Vocalion version.
I prefer the 7" Japanese, it is less subdued compared to the DV, maybe it is a little brighter, to my liking.
What happens in rears and fronts seems to be the same.
Both have strong rears, maybe a case for either lowering the rear db's or raising the front db's, or a combination of the two?
Both are 4.0, just in case you are wondering.
These two releases when A/B'd will dependant on one's personal rig as to what would be prefered.

Back