Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles! Live! - Sony Japan 7" Quad SACD 9/21/2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas

400 Club - QQ All-Star

Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live! SACD 4.0/2.0ch [Limited Edition] [Cardboard Sleeve (7 inch)]

SICP-10141.jpg

SICP-10141_ADD.jpg

Release Date : 2022/09/21
Number : SICP-10141
EAN : 4547366571844

I would normally be thrilled but Dutton Vocalion released a two disc SACD set with Buddy Miles' BOOGER BEAR paired with Carlos Santana Buddy Miles LIVE a scant few years ago and it was mastered on QUAD SACD from the original analogue masters! And it's still very much available!

Buddy Miles & Carlos Santana - Buddy Miles: Booger Bear & Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles: Live! [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=2CDSML8560

Last edited:
Nice find!

The historical record shows this was released June 1972, quickly followed in October by Caravanserai.
We can only hope the Sony re-issues keep to that pattern.

As another happy owner of the Dutton two-fer, I'll wait to order them together to save on shipping.

Animals & Thick As A Brick should keep me going in the meantime.

The presentation looks to be a little more sparse than previous releases. It's also a kick in the teeth to those whom were expecting the next Santana Quad release to be one of their studio albums.
Not to mention Simon, Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin's superb LOVE, DEVOTION & SURRENDER has never been released on Multi~CH SACD.

I would love to know who's in charge of these SONY Japan 7" packaged SACD remasters as an awful lot of them have had prior releases on Multi~CH SACD [Tapestry, Birds of Fire, Jeff Beck, et alia....Toto IV I can understand as it's been long OOP and is commanding a small fortune on the used market but there are so many unreleased QUAD masters in both the RCA and Columbia vaults which have never had prior multi~CH/QUAD SACD releases.

Last edited:
What a bummer! It’s probably the least interesting Santana release of the 70s anyway. Oh well, at least it tells us they are still pushing ahead and Caravanserai can’t be far behind.

Not to mention Simon, Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin's superb LOVE, DEVOTION & SURRENDER has never been released on SACD.

I would love to know who's in charge of these SONY Japan 7" packaged SACD remasters as an awful lot of them have had prior releases on Multi~CH SACD [Tapestry, Birds of Fire, Jeff Beck, et alia....Toto IV I can understand as it's been long OOP and is commanding a small fortune on the used market but there are so many unreleased QUAD masters in both the RCA and Columbia vaults which have never had prior multi~CH/QUAD SACD releases.

There's a MoFi SACD... not MCH of course. SANTANA,CARLOS / MCLAUGHLIN,JOHN - Love Devotion Surrender - Amazon.com Music

Not to mention Simon, Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin's superb LOVE, DEVOTION & SURRENDER has never been released on Multi~CH SACD.

I understand your point and disappointment, but as far as I'm concerned, there are only two companies left (save for the rare Analogue Productions pearl once in a blue moon) which release Quad/5.1 SACDs, Vocalion and Sony Japan. I may not be a fan of every release they've put out, but beggars can't be choosers. In 2022, I see every Quad SACD release as a small miracle.

Nowadays, most releases are either available for streaming only or occasionally on DVDs/Blu-rays.

Streaming is out of the question for me and I try to purchase as few DVDs/Blu-rays as possible.

SACD is the only format I'm really happy with which limits my options. I accept this but still find satisfaction in what I can get.

Moved these posts from the Sony Japan 7" thread as I thought they deserved their own thread.

Don't despair about Caravanserai, I'm sure it'll be announced in due course - it was released in October 1972, so an announcement in a month or two would line up perfectly with the 50th. There is precedent for this too, as the SACDs of the first album and Abraxas were announced just months (or a month) apart too.

The fact that Sony are doing this "non-core" catalog album is good news for quad collectors too because it suggests they'll probably do the Santana & John McLaughlin Love, Devotion, Surrender album next year for its 50th in addition to the Santana Welcome album, both of which were released in 1973.

Nice find!

The historical record shows this was released June 1972, quickly followed in October by Caravanserai.
We can only hope the Sony re-issues keep to that pattern.

As another happy owner of the Dutton two-fer, I'll wait to order them together to save on shipping.

Animals & Thick As A Brick should keep me going in the meantime.
Ah, so Sony didn't jump Caravanserai as I had originally thought. Sony must be strict originalists. :ROFLMAO:

I understand your point and disappointment, but as far as I'm concerned, there are only two companies left (save for the rare Analogue Productions pearl once in a blue moon) which release Quad/5.1 SACDs, Vocalion and Sony Japan. I may not be a fan of every release they've put out, but beggars can't be choosers. In 2022, I see every Quad SACD release as a small miracle.

Nowadays, most releases are either available for streaming only or occasionally on DVDs/Blu-rays.

Streaming is out of the question for me and I try to purchase as few DVDs/Blu-rays as possible.

SACD is the only format I'm really happy with which limits my options. I accept this but still find satisfaction in what I can get.

Streaming was out of question for me too UNTIL Apple music streaming in Multi channel and soooo many albums / songs mixed and either unavailable on physical disc or locked up in very expensive boxsets w cds vinyl books cars toys marbles soooo much BS so streaming it is.

I now stream music in surround. Limited to 5.1 but most atmos mixes do well in 5.1 sooo yep i now stream.
U might want to give it a whirl

Moved these posts from the Sony Japan 7" thread as I thought they deserved their own thread.

Don't despair about Caravanserai, I'm sure it'll be announced in due course - it was released in October 1972, so an announcement in a month or two would line up perfectly with the 50th. There is precedent for this too, as the SACDs of the first album and Abraxas were announced just months (or a month) apart too.

The fact that Sony are doing this "non-core" catalog album is good news for quad collectors too because it suggests they'll probably do the Santana & John McLaughlin Love, Devotion, Surrender album next year for its 50th in addition to the Santana Welcome album, both of which were released in 1973.

I hope you're right!

Seeing yet another "repeat" (Toto) and a Santana that's already been done by D-V, but NOT Caravanserai this time around is a kick in the pants to me. I actually was putting Toto in my CDJapan cart a short time ago when I saw their listing for CS/BM Live. WTF was my reaction so I came here to check the posts on this.

Why does Caravanserai & Borboletto seem to typically get short straws as releases is a mystery to me. I'd hate to think I'm stuck with my SQ LP for the rest of my life & adding surround synth to my Mofi SACD. Disappointing to say the least.

It's a wonderful album in quad, one of the best SQ LP's Columbia had done. I passed on Lotus because to me, surround would be mostly concert ambience. And SJ's Miles Davis Live-Evil was another concert quad recording that is very inferior to Bitch's Brew, both musically as well as surround-wise. BB is approachable, highly inventive fusion in Mile's heyday, one of his critically acclaimed albums, and is unbelievable in quad; L-E is the opposite, a very acquired taste that many who aren't Miles Davis fusion fans won't like. So why did they release it? There were much better choices.

I don't understand Sony Japan's rationale. Why keep putting out concert hall & repeats ahead of continuing far better studio recordings that have never seen daylight post-SQ LP's?

Ten Years After's Space in Time is another fantastic SQ LP that should be released by Sony J or licensed by D-V for a SACD. It's up there with DSOTM yet the quad mix has been ignored for decades. There was a rare, impossible-to-get import UK box set - LP and DVD 4.0 of it years ago but nobody has had it for many years, not even on Ebay. The only disc copy I know of was a QPS (remember them?) conversion. That's it. My beef with Sony has always been they "invented" SACD, yet sat on all these quad titles and hardly ever released any to the format. And wonder why the format didn't take off.

I do hope Caravanserai does come out and I will be grateful to Sony Japan. I'll pay the money, pay the shipping, just release it! Then please do something unique, like TYA Space in Time, instead of more concerts and repeats of previous OOP 5.1 SACD's in pretty packaging.

That would make my day.

Last edited:

Bingo. While I really appreciate that we have quad SACD's coming from them, I don't understand their decisions on some of these. Strange but that's Sony.

...SJ's Miles Davis Live-Evil was another concert quad recording that is very inferior to Bitch's Brew, both musically as well as surround-wise. BB is approachable, highly inventive fusion in Mile's heyday, one of his critically acclaimed albums, and is unbelievable in quad; L-E is the opposite, a very acquired taste that many who aren't Miles Davis fusion fans won't like. So why did they release it? There were much better choices.
Live Evil was never released in discrete surround before, there was only an SQ LP. The SACD was worth putting out for that reason alone. I wouldn't say the quad mix is vastly inferior to Bitches Brew, as far as surround mixes of live material go it's among the most adventurous out there.

Live Evil was never released in discrete surround before, there was only an SQ LP.
That's the same as Bitch's Brew, only the SQ LP existed before Sony Japan's SACD.

And I am a die hard Miles Davis fan, from his 50's music to his later fusion & experimental era to his later more pop oriented sound. Other than the Beatles, I have more Miles Davis recordings than any other artist in all genres - rock, jazz, prog-rock, classical, electronica, world music - including the 1st Sony single layer SACD of Live-Evil. And an avid jazz fan, from numerous artists & styles, not just Miles. So I think we agree that Live-Evil is worthwhile, especially in quadraphonic, but may not be for the casual or even typical jazz listener since it's highly improvisational.

For the record, I wasn't implying I personally didn't like the album or its use of surround, I was saying that IMHO it isn't the most approachable album of his musically. Hence my saying that it may not have been the most saleable album Sony J could have picked for these special quad SACD's, other than from a completist perspective, which is very valid.

All good. Just wish Caravanserai was announced instead of Carlos & Buddy, and yes I'm a Buddy Miles fan too ;) Are you familiar with the Electric Flag album? Electric Flag was an ensemble of Michael Bloomfeld, Buddy Miles, lots of participating musicians, horns, and IIRC engineered by Al Kooper or he was involved, post-1st BS&T album before David Clayton Thomas. Electric Flag is very blues, R&B oriented, with jazz influences, interesting music & fun album. And it's on Qobuz. Another blast from the late 60's. Not in quad tho.

Last edited:
Santana/Buddy Miles Live is a very active Quad mix. Not all live Quads are ambience and crowd noise in rears.

Musically, it cooks.

Bought this on Q8, SQ, UK CD and DV SACD.

Yes, I'm a Santana, Buddy Miles (RIP), Electric Flag, Miles Davis (RIP) and BS&T completist. Met Al Kooper and Nick Gravenites (Flag). Caught Davis, Santana & BS&T live over 8x each.

I'll stick with the SQ & DV SACD for now. IF Japan SACD has better fidelity, more tracks and/or better Quad presentation, I'll gladly buy it again. Otherwise, it's just stamp collecting...

Santana/Buddy Miles Live is a very active Quad mix. Not all live Quads are ambience and crowd noise in rears.

Musically, it cooks.

Bought this on Q8, SQ, UK CD and DV SACD.

Yes, I'm a Santana, Buddy Miles (RIP), Electric Flag, Miles Davis (RIP) and BS&T completist. Met Al Kooper and Nick Gravenites (Flag). Caught Davis, Santana & BS&T live over 8x each.

I'll stick with the SQ & DV SACD for now. IF Japan SACD has better fidelity, more tracks and/or better Quad presentation, I'll gladly buy it again. Otherwise, it's just stamp collecting...
I also enjoyed this one! Still remember my first listen in vinyl when it first came out!

Back