• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!
  • Or, the forum for the old vinyl and quad 8's and reels. It's far from complete--there are many hundreds of non-classical titles yet to post--but a few hundred are here with more to come; I pretty much add 'em when I'm in the mood, or one of you good folks PM me with a request to add something. The best way to use this forum is to go to the bottom of the page and look for something alphabetically by title. The last name of an artist is first where applicable, as in Simon, Paul. The Guess Who are listed as Guess Who, The, to facilitate finding them easily. Soundtracks, Original Cast, and Various Artists are listed as such first, then the album title. A few classical titles are here, with Classical as a header (or will be if I ever weed them in). The idea is to be able to alphabetize and then click, page by page, an A-Z (forward or backward) of what it up at the moment. To do this effectively, remember to click 'Beginning' in the left box, 'Thread title' to its right, so that all titles will list. No titles are ever removed, and all are accessible, and nothing (to date) has been lost in the ether. Just as vinyl lasts a lot longer than its creators could have imagined, so has this board, so far. We're small but we ain't goin' anywhere! FWIW, most of these mixes are long out of print, and only available digitally through like-minded audiophiles--some easy to find, some tough, some perhaps impossible at this time due to rarity or someone just hasn't gotten around to making a transfer from the original sources. That's too bad, but the record companies in the new millennium have no interest in reissuing these even as DTS titles. The exceptions are the QS albums, which if you have the equipment, should decode on CD as they did on vinyl, since for most only a QS master was made. Some SQ titles do exist on CD as well, but not a lot, and less of those were SQ only. As for CD-4 discrete, some titles have made their way onto DVD-Audio, DVD or SACD formats and some OOP DTS titles, but the majority are still commercially unavailable, alas. Only vintage albums are spotlighted here, although there is nothing wrong with discussing the alternate 5.1 or quad mixes that have come along since the 1971-76 'golden age' of quadraphonic sound which, thanks to the three major competing formats (CD-4, SQ, QS), inferior decoding equipment, and consumer confusion and misunderstanding and major label incompetence, rendered the format all but dead by the end of '76. Anyone curious about what quad titles from this time frame exist should click here for Mark Anderson's discography listings. Final note: If there is a title you want to see here that I haven't gotten to as yet, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do. There are still many hundreds left to go, and we're here to stay.... ED

Quad LP/Tape Poll Carlos, Walter: Switched-On Bach [SQ/Q8]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate "Switched-on Bach"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 Fairly mediocre everything

• 1: Why did they bother?

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia MQ/MAQ 31018, released 1972 [Original stereo version released 1968].

Side 1:

1. Sinfonia To Cantata No. 29
2. Air On A G String
3. Two-Part Invention in F Major
4. Two-Part Invention in B-flat Major
5. Two-Part Invention in D Minor
6. Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
7. Prelude and Fugue No. 7 in E-Flat Major (from Book I of "The Well-Tempered Clavier")

Side 2:

1. Prelude and Fugue No. 2 in C Minor (from Book I of "The Well-Tempered Clavier")
2. Chorale Prelude "Wachet Auf"
Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major
3. First Movement
4. Second Movement
5. Third Movement

ED :)

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
This is a solid 10 all-round.
Music is Bach, so what can you say?
The interpretation from Carlos it is still stunning more than 40 years from the first release, wonder how much time and patience has been put into this recording.
The mix is one of the best ever, it just need a discrete 4-channel media. The SQ version suffer a lot, and a big Kudos to OD for radical improvement of the SQ decoding.
It is just a shame that this recording never made a official digital multichannel version.

oxforddickie

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I agree, this should have been one of the first SACD multichannel releases, someone at Columbia needs their ass kicking!!!!

OD

Disclord

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Plattsburg, MO (just outside Kansas City)
I agree, this should have been one of the first SACD multichannel releases, someone at Columbia needs their ass kicking!!!!

OD
I think Wendy owns the rights to all her masters now - on her website she talked a lot about multi-channel, but as far as I know, has never released anything, which I've never understood.

Doug G.

I gave it a 10 also.

This is such an incredble record that it would be hard to give it anything but.

Astounding at its release and still is.

I know Carlos has denigrated the SQ results but I like it for a change from the normal two channel version (of which I have about 5 copies).

Doug

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
When I first heard this in quad back around '73, I would have rated it highly also. BUT....then along came Isao Tomita and SNOWFLAKES ARE DANCING and the many Tomita quad's to come...and compared to SNOWFLAKES, SOB seemed rather crude and obvious by comparison (though certainly in 1968, upon initial release, a groundbreaking recording, and #1 on the classical charts for several years to come). Not that I dislike SOB by any means, it's just that Tomita brought so much more creativity and panache to his sound than (IMO) Carlos ever did. Still, yes, this should have been one of Sony's no-brainer SACD MC's.

ED :)

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
If WC had the synth equipment and a larger multitrack recorder as used by Tomita in 1973 for sure S-oB would had sounded different. It still amazes me how far the synthetic sounds evolved in few years.

rustyandi

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I have some of the Tapes that
Michael Robin Made
This tap was made to tell of the release of
Quadraphonic sound in the Fall
a sampler

rustyandi

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
NO it Number 52
on the list it does not say Switched on Bach
But it is on it

Quad Linda

Staff member
11. It doesn't get much better than this. It was the best selling classical album of all time in '69, and deservedly so. I've owned 5 copies: Q8, SQ, 1/2 speed CBS Mastersound LP, CD and CD reissue in her Switched On CD Box set. She's a hero(ine) of mine. I admire her musicianship, knowledge of recording techniques, personal integrity and courage. She had the guts to come out about her transition in the late '70's in a Playboy interview.

Although she has some valid points about the limitations of SQ, I think it's the way to hear this album. Her version of Brandenburg #3 is the definitive one. It's unfair to compare this this to Tomita. I dearly love both. In six years between this and Snowflakes (Clare de Lune in Japan), the synthesizer evolved greatly. I do prefer his '70's ouvre to Wendy's, though they're both good. And Tomita gave us several Quad offerings. Carlos gave us just one, OK two of you include the DD CD of SOB 2000. Although 2ch, pick up the much overlooked Switched on Bach II and Switched on Brandenburgs (part of which is on this album.) Or, better yet, get the Switched On box set. YOU NEED IT!!

bmoura

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
An excellent Quad mix here.

Comparing the SQ and Q8 edition of SOB shows the inherent weakness of the SQ matrix (and other matrix) encoding systems with such a complex Discrete Quad Mix. The Q8 smokes the SQ version by a long shot in terms of hearing this album in its full Surround Sound glory. It's no wonder why the artist wanted people to hear this in Discrete Quad.

Quad Linda

Staff member
You're correct about discrete (Q8) being way better in terms of the surround mix. It's why I bought the Q8 long before the SQ. With the limited frequency response, dynamic range, s/n ratio, and wow/flutter of Q8, I'd rather listen to the SQ these days. I'll take more limited separation if I have to. IMHO
An excellent Quad mix here.

Comparing the SQ and Q8 edition of SOB shows the inherent weakness of the SQ matrix (and other matrix) encoding systems with such a complex Discrete Quad Mix. The Q8 smokes the SQ version by a long shot in terms of hearing this album in its full Surround Sound glory. It's no wonder why the artist wanted people to hear this in Discrete Quad.

Doug G.

Ah, the first movement of the Third Brandenburg! So incredibly beautiful and so perfectly rendered by Carlos. Always my favorite.

With number five being a close second and on Switched-On Bach II but not quad unfortunately. Sounds good synthesized, though.

Doug