Quad LP/Tape Poll Carlos, Walter: Switched-On Bach [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Switched-on Bach"

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia MQ/MAQ 31018, released 1972 [Original stereo version released 1968].

Side 1:

1. Sinfonia To Cantata No. 29
2. Air On A G String
3. Two-Part Invention in F Major
4. Two-Part Invention in B-flat Major
5. Two-Part Invention in D Minor
6. Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
7. Prelude and Fugue No. 7 in E-Flat Major (from Book I of "The Well-Tempered Clavier")

Side 2:

1. Prelude and Fugue No. 2 in C Minor (from Book I of "The Well-Tempered Clavier")
2. Chorale Prelude "Wachet Auf"
Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major
3. First Movement
4. Second Movement
5. Third Movement

ED :)

This is a solid 10 all-round.
Music is Bach, so what can you say?
The interpretation from Carlos it is still stunning more than 40 years from the first release, wonder how much time and patience has been put into this recording.
The mix is one of the best ever, it just need a discrete 4-channel media. The SQ version suffer a lot, and a big Kudos to OD for radical improvement of the SQ decoding.
It is just a shame that this recording never made a official digital multichannel version.

I agree, this should have been one of the first SACD multichannel releases, someone at Columbia needs their ass kicking!!!!

OD

I agree, this should have been one of the first SACD multichannel releases, someone at Columbia needs their ass kicking!!!!

OD

I think Wendy owns the rights to all her masters now - on her website she talked a lot about multi-channel, but as far as I know, has never released anything, which I've never understood.

I gave it a 10 also.

This is such an incredble record that it would be hard to give it anything but.

Astounding at its release and still is.

I know Carlos has denigrated the SQ results but I like it for a change from the normal two channel version (of which I have about 5 copies).

Doug

When I first heard this in quad back around '73, I would have rated it highly also. BUT....then along came Isao Tomita and SNOWFLAKES ARE DANCING and the many Tomita quad's to come...and compared to SNOWFLAKES, SOB seemed rather crude and obvious by comparison (though certainly in 1968, upon initial release, a groundbreaking recording, and #1 on the classical charts for several years to come). Not that I dislike SOB by any means, it's just that Tomita brought so much more creativity and panache to his sound than (IMO) Carlos ever did. Still, yes, this should have been one of Sony's no-brainer SACD MC's.

ED :)

If WC had the synth equipment and a larger multitrack recorder as used by Tomita in 1973 for sure S-oB would had sounded different. It still amazes me how far the synthetic sounds evolved in few years.

I have some of the Tapes that
Michael Robin Made
This tap was made to tell of the release of
Quadraphonic sound in the Fall
a sampler

NO it Number 52
on the list it does not say Switched on Bach
But it is on it

11. It doesn't get much better than this. It was the best selling classical album of all time in '69, and deservedly so. I've owned 5 copies: Q8, SQ, 1/2 speed CBS Mastersound LP, CD and CD reissue in her Switched On CD Box set. She's a hero(ine) of mine. I admire her musicianship, knowledge of recording techniques, personal integrity and courage. She had the guts to come out about her transition in the late '70's in a Playboy interview.

Although she has some valid points about the limitations of SQ, I think it's the way to hear this album. Her version of Brandenburg #3 is the definitive one. It's unfair to compare this this to Tomita. I dearly love both. In six years between this and Snowflakes (Clare de Lune in Japan), the synthesizer evolved greatly. I do prefer his '70's ouvre to Wendy's, though they're both good. And Tomita gave us several Quad offerings. Carlos gave us just one, OK two of you include the DD CD of SOB 2000. Although 2ch, pick up the much overlooked Switched on Bach II and Switched on Brandenburgs (part of which is on this album.) Or, better yet, get the Switched On box set. YOU NEED IT!!

An excellent Quad mix here.

Comparing the SQ and Q8 edition of SOB shows the inherent weakness of the SQ matrix (and other matrix) encoding systems with such a complex Discrete Quad Mix. The Q8 smokes the SQ version by a long shot in terms of hearing this album in its full Surround Sound glory. It's no wonder why the artist wanted people to hear this in Discrete Quad.

You're correct about discrete (Q8) being way better in terms of the surround mix. It's why I bought the Q8 long before the SQ. With the limited frequency response, dynamic range, s/n ratio, and wow/flutter of Q8, I'd rather listen to the SQ these days. I'll take more limited separation if I have to. IMHO
An excellent Quad mix here.

Comparing the SQ and Q8 edition of SOB shows the inherent weakness of the SQ matrix (and other matrix) encoding systems with such a complex Discrete Quad Mix. The Q8 smokes the SQ version by a long shot in terms of hearing this album in its full Surround Sound glory. It's no wonder why the artist wanted people to hear this in Discrete Quad.

Ah, the first movement of the Third Brandenburg! So incredibly beautiful and so perfectly rendered by Carlos. Always my favorite.

With number five being a close second and on Switched-On Bach II but not quad unfortunately. Sounds good synthesized, though.

Doug

8186.jpg

Back