Quad LP/Tape Poll Carlos, Walter: Switched-On Bach [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Switched-on Bach"

• Total voters
Switched On Bach was THE one record that made people realize electronic music was NOT just a gimmick. It was, "My God, this is incredible!"
At the time, the electronic musicians in universities declared that WC was not genuine electronic music.

Just as today academia in universities... opps, sorry, no politics.

Plus ça change...

This disk convinced me to go quad way back when. With or without logic I prefer this mix over the stereo version. A 10 from me.

Has anyone digitized and analyzed the Q8? Is the difference between the discrete quad and the SQ version obvious? I would love to hear the Q8, just so I can hear what she initially envisioned as the proper quad mix, before encoding became involved.

If it's true that Wendy owns the rights to all her music....and this was such a unique and great selling album....and Wendy was/is so involved in the multi channel world....then I wonder why this was never rereleased as a multi channel SACD or something of the like.

I really would like to get a copy of this album, but I'm not sure, based on what everyone is saying, that the SQ version really would do it justice.

If it's true that Wendy owns the rights to all her music....and this was such a unique and great selling album....and Wendy was/is so involved in the multi channel world....then I wonder why this was never rereleased as a multi channel SACD or something of the like.

I really would like to get a copy of this album, but I'm not sure, based on what everyone is saying, that the SQ version really would do it justice.
She released an updated version call SO-B 2000 on Telarc and it is in surround. I haven't heard it yet. I have the Quad8 of SO-B and find it enjoyable.

She released an updated version call SO-B 2000 on Telarc and it is in surround. I haven't heard it yet. I have the Quad8 of SO-B and find it enjoyable.
CV, I see this DS stereo Telarc, but I don't see anything else, is there another one?

https://www.discogs.com/Wendy-Carlos-Switched-On-Bach-2000/master/635598
1605640623894.png

The SQ LP was my first quad record, and it was good enough to start my obsession way back in the early 70s. Admittedly, I had nothing to compare it to, and even Wendy felt that the SQ technique robbed the recording of some of its impact, but it was probebly one of the records that influenced my collectin direction most. I’ve spent a lot of money on surround equipment and programming since that fateful day.

Looks like that's Dolby. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it might be better than the SQ album. I could always use my QS decoder.
QS decodes Dolby Surround quite well. I have the S-OB 2000 disc, and have played it through the Surround Master It sounds excellent! It also rocks through DPL II and QS decoders. It clearly blows away the SQ.

Back