Quad LP/Tape Poll Carlos, Walter: Switched-On Bach [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Switched-on Bach"

• Total voters
It's a completely different album with different music on, recorded decades later. It's like comparing Dark Side Of The Moon with The Division Bell.

A different album, sure, but the pieces recorded are the same as the 1968 original, with the addition of a few new pieces.

Well, I guess if it is different recordings of the same pieces of music, then technically it’s a totally different album; and doesn’t belong with this Poll IMO. If it was just a matter of different mastering, then that might have been reasonable to include it here. However, the 2000 version does sound like something I’d want to check out regardless. :)

I suppose a next test for decoding Switched on Bach 2000 would be play using last version of Sansui QS variomatrix decoding and then play using dolby surround that was available in 2000, and then compare. I have several Dolby surround cd's also, mainly classical, to experiment also.
I am also curious testing again Wendy Carlos sonic seasonings lp. :unsure:

Well for $8 I just found a copy of SOB2000 to try in my Surround Master.
Understand its not the same recording as the SQ lp which I have but worth a shot.
True. It's a completely new recording, and I noticed some textures that were either covered up by the SQ matrix, or simply didn't exist on the older recording. But it is all the same music, except for the opening track. Wendy should only hear it through a Surround Master.

Actually, Dolby encode is straight RM. You are thinking of Circlesurround.
Err Um...............

1606863262190.png

1606863375201.png

1606863465944.png

See what I mean......its a strudel.

Attachments

• 1606863346507.png
    1606863346507.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 200
The ONLY difference between QS and Dolby Surround is where the primary channels are encoded to and decoded from (diamond vs square). The recording made by either for a sound panned to the same location is the same. And both decoders play the same recording the same way. Only the speakers are in different locations.

In both QS and DS, the difference in amplitude between the two encoded channels determines the left-to-right position, while the phase between the two encoded channels determines the front-to-back position. When placed on the Poincare sphere (often called the Scheiber sphere), QS and DS modulations for the same direction are in the same place.

SQ does something totally different. The front channels use amplitude difference to determine left to right panning. The back channels use phase to determine left-to-right panning. When placed on the Poincare sphere, SQ modulations are in totally different places than the ones for QS and DS.

To get back to the earlier discussion I received SOB2000 and played on the SM involve setting the Invention in F major does bounce around the speakers.
But after listening to the SQ album I am finding the CD to be metallic sounding. Yes I prefer the sound of the album over this new version. Did the original ever make it to CD?
My phono stage on my Marantz is acting up so I can't fairly judge the SQ decode of the SM of the record due to left speaker extreme low volume
I think if you are a fan of this music you want both versions.

I must note that playing a Dolby surround encoded CD on the SM in involve setting instead of getting a mono rear it sure sounds like different sounds coming out of left and right rear.

Back