Quad LP/Tape Poll Carpenters: A Song For You [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "A Song For You"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
A&M 8Q-53511, from 1972.

Side 1:

1. A Song For You
2. Top Of The World
3. Hurting Each Other
4. It's Going To Take Some Time
5. Goodbye To Love
6. Intermission

Side 2:

1. Bless The Beasts And Children
2. Flat Baroque
3. Piano Picker
4. I Won't Last A Day Without You
5. Crystal Lullaby
6. Road Ode
7. A Song For You (Reprise)

ED :)

A&M had announced this album was going to be released as a QS-encoded LP, along with three others. Of the listed records to be released in this format, only Joan Baez's "Come From The Shadows" actually made it to stores. I think the Carpenters would have sounded great in QS. Pity it never happened.

I've seen three or four Carpenters albums on vinyl in CD-4 format. Possibly Japanese pressings.

Carpenters CD4:
USA: Horizon
Japan: The singles / Now and then

I wonder what the politics were that caused A&M to switch from QS to SQ. I would guess there may have been some back door dealings on this one. The fact that the finalized on CD-4 meant that they at least showed some integrity by finalizing on the one system that approached discrete tape. (The best QS and SQ decoders unfortunately didn't appear until the end of quad rush)

For my money this album contains the finest Karen vocal on "Hurting Each Other". I can listen to that song over and over. "Goodbye To Love" is also awesome. The "Carpenters" album and this one were the artistic peak for me. The quad mix is pretty good as I remember but the songs are what does it for me...

Back