Quad LP/Tape Poll Carpenters: Now & Then [SQ/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Quad Release of The Carpenters - NOW & THEN

• 10: Great Content, Great Fidelity, Great Surround

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • 9:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8:

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 7:

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 1973 release by The Carpenters, available in the US on SQ LP and Q8, and in Japan on a King Quad Reel and CD-4 LP.

Please note what format you are reviewing, as it's obvious that one format might sound better than another (for example, the reel will sound better than the Q8)

[IMAGES]

I was surprised that Ed created poll threads for all of the Carpenters quad releases other than this one, so here you go.

I was slogging through one of my hard drives today and found the raw reel as-recorded files I had from the playback of the quad reel of this album. I dusted them off, ran them through Wave Purity and promptly listened for the first time in many years. All I can say is................WOW.

I wonder why Marshall never did this one for AF. It would have been a natural. I have the playback going while I am typing and this thing is 100% pure discrete pin-point surround and it sounds incredible.

I know we're not supposed to take '10's too lightly, but this mix is a sure 10. I know Bob and others did conversions of these files so they're out there, and I suggest that if you like this sort of stuff you seek them out. You will not be disappointed.

When I was a "youth", I really didn't pay much attention to The Carpenters. To me they were "easy listening", but today at my advanced age I can clearly appreciate what an incredible voice Karen had, and the terrific arrangements and surround mix on this particular tape.

For you wav file freaks, here's the entire album....

One of my "reference" quad mixes, the q8 and jap cd4 sounds good, the qr is just awesome.
As for song selection, i like it all; someone has a problem with "Sing", someone else with Heather of Jamalaya, somedon't like the DJing in the medley... not for me. I like it all as it is.

I own the Japanese CD-4s of this and The Singles 1969-73. The quad mixes are quite a bit better than the 5.1 remix on SACD. Love "This Masquerade" in particular, with the drums and piano in the rears.

As for a potential D-V release, are the master tapes still around? It's well known that the Carpenters multis were destroyed in a fire shortly after the SACD release.

I don't know if I'd give it a 10. While it is a good mix for the most part, I don't like the bass in the phantom left and drums in stereo in FR and BR. Gives the mix a bit of a lopsided feeling until "Dead Mans' Curve" when the drums suddenly flip to discrete stereo in the rear. But after that it's back to FR & BR. Sort of feels like an early Beatles stereo mix with drums on one side and bass on the other. I wouldn't expect that from a Quad title like this especially considering I know for a fact that these were on 16-track and Richard himself had a hand in the Quad mixes. It's almost like they were more worried about the fold-down to stereo than the Quad mix but that's pure speculation on my part.

not one of my faves I must admit but I like it in spots. I don't understand why this one has a fab mix but their masterpiece, A Song For You, does not. It was the previous album, quad was big in '72, no excuse for this or the sound on Close To You or the 3rd lp, Carpenters. Horizon is exceptional however.

I've had the SQ LP since the mid 70's, I guess that it's time to review it.

Firstly it contains one of my favourite Carpenters songs ever, the title track "Now and Then". Most often I would just listen to side 2, the medley of oldies is rather cool. I had always assumed that the DJ was Richard but it turns out to be lead guitarist Tony Peluso. If it was me I would have splurged on a real DJ (I find Tony to be rather annoying). Just think if they had used Wolfman Jack instead!

Surround wise it's very good, much better via the S&IC than through a garden variety SQ decoder. I also have the Japanese CD-4 but I haven't listened to it yet. I recently got a new Audio Technica MC cartridge so I'm hoping for the best vis-a vis CD-4 playback.

I'll give it an 8 based on the SQ version.

I bought this on cassette, Q8, US SQ, Japan CD-4 and Japan RBCD. Q8 is my most played copy. Not having heard the QR, I'd put Japan CD-4 as best separation & fidelity, especially w/Ortofon MC cart.

Musically, it's one of their best. Side 1 features recent covers and originals. Side 2 is straight out of American Graffiti. Da doo run run...

Mix is discrete.

If you like these folks and/or sock hop oldies, you NEED it!

Back