HiRez Poll Carpenters - SINGLES 1969-1981 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Carpenters - SINGLES 1969-1981

• Total voters
I live in an RV park in an RV. I crank my 7.1 to really loud levels since I am almost 70 and going deaf. I have visited my neighbors on all sides of me and asked them if my music bothers them and everyone of them looked at me and said "What music?". I am a lucky camper.

"Thank you so much for posting...even after 13 years of the original post it was extremely helpful! I've been working with Naim Mu-so on sound enhancements and purchased my first SACD today after reading all the reviews on this site. It was very helpful, especially since the SACD in question was $140 (sealed) and that is a steal of a deal. So thank you 13 years later for everyones feedback! MUCH APPRECIATED! :)"

Welcome to the forum:bounce17....I hope you become an active member...there are MANY excellent SACDs to purchase...as well as blu ray audio and older titles on DVD-A...if you need help in any area...feel free to ask:)

I'm lucky to live in the sticks, woods behind me and across the road, chock full of small and medium sized mammals. Nearest neighbors down the road are about 100 and 70 yards respectfully. So, I can play anything I'd like at 11. That's all going to change when I move to the fiancé's though.....:yikes Can I get a take back?

I finally got a copy for a sensible price a few weeks ago. I'd give it a strong 8. It's really good, plenty discrete for my tastes (lots of orchestra/brass parts isolated in or favoring the rears) and the material's never sounded this clear, but I still prefer the old quad mixes of The Singles and Now & Then.

One interesting thing I noticed when comparing the quad and the 5.1 is that the physical arrangement of the song "This Masquerade" has basically been flipped. The quad mix had the orchestra and flute upfront, the drums in right rear, and the piano in left rear. The 5.1 mix has the drums and piano in the front, and the flute and orchestra in the back.

"This Masquerade" (5.1):
Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 6.51.59 PM.png

"This Masquerade (4.0):
Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 6.51.51 PM.png

Last edited:
I finally got a copy for a sensible price a few weeks ago. I'd give it a strong 8. It's really good, plenty discrete for my tastes (lots of orchestra/brass parts isolated in or favoring the rears) and the material's never sounded this clear, but I still prefer the old quad mixes of The Singles and Now & Then.

One interesting thing I noticed when comparing the quad and the 5.1 is that the physical arrangement of the song "This Masquerade" has basically been flipped front-to-back. The quad mix had the orchestra and flute upfront, the drums in right rear, and the piano in left rear. The 5.1 has drums and piano in the front, and the flute and orchestra in the back.

"This Masquerade" (5.1):
View attachment 40080

"This Masquerade (4.0):
View attachment 40081

I just listened to this GEM a few days ago and gave it a 10. Since I have nothing to compare it with, on its own terms, it does manage to spread a nice discrete soundstage across all 5 speakers while of course highlighting Karen Carpenter's magnificent vocals.

And this is one of those SACD titles which was offered a few years ago via the BMG music club for as little as $6.

Last edited:
I just listened to this GEM a few days ago and gave it a 10. Since I have nothing to compare it with, on its own terms, it does manage to spread a nice discrete soundstage across all 5 speakers while of course highlighting Karen Carpenter's magnificent vocals.

And this is one of those SACD titles which was offered a few years ago via the BMG music club for as little as $6.
Well, nowadays it's a bit more than $6! It's way over priced; consistently selling for $50-$85 used. I've never heard it but maybe someday.

I was lucky to buy this sacd when it first came out. I have never listened to the Quad mix so I only have the 5.1 to judge on its own.
These songs are a guilty pleasure for me. I think they are corny, but these songs are deservedly pop classics.
The mix is fine to my ears and the fidelity is impressive.
I voted a 9. :cool::)

According to Richard Carpenter himself, this is probably the very last time you will hear these HITS remixed into 5.1 FROM THE ORIGINAL ANALOGUE MASTERS as he returned all the multitracks to Universal upon completion of this remix and they perished in the 2008 Universal conflagration in Burbank.

Whether any QUAD MASTERS are extant ...... doubtful.

Back