HiRez Poll Carpenters - SINGLES 1969-1981 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Carpenters - SINGLES 1969-1981

• Total voters
Yes this release has a sentimental attachment for me.
Even so, there is no getting away from the fact they were totally brilliant.
And that is coming from someone who would never admit to liking them in their heyday.
Karen's voice ... the most perfect singing you will ever hear!!
We used to call it lift music ...as a mild rebuke. (I know, sacrilege)
Well lift it certainly does...It lift's the soul.
It's a Superstar 10

If anyone truly hates this, please send it to me. I'll pay your cost...

Mike, NO offense but I'd rather be devoured by Carpenter Ants than part with my copy!

See the source image

thanks to this Poll being brought to the fore again, i just played it for the first time in a long time. upped from an "excellent 8" to a "nearly there 9". the whole shebang sounding better than ever. maybe next time (if we're all still here God willing) i've another critical listen and it'll take it to a "10" 🤞

Another example of how releasing an album in surround got me to purchase something I would not have considered in red book CD. I put it on for my wife the other day while she was exercising in the A/V room. I stood there with a big smile on my face and said, “How can you stand to listen to this on a car stereo? Do you hear how great this sounds in multichannel on this system!”

Great disc...however, all but the last (weird) track are a tad muffled/compressed as was frequently the case back then. On a good system, you can hear the difference in the last track compared to the others.

We got a young hippie type music teacher at my grade school in the early 70's and our choir started to sing songs like 'Aquarius', 'I Feel the Earth Move', and of course 'Close to You'. So a lot the songs on this album have a sentimental spot for me as well. Although, I never really heard 'This Masquerade' until I obtained this SACD (and it is now my favorite track from this SACD). And then there is the knowledge of the tragic life & death of Karen that seems to be amplified when I hear her crystal clear voice on this SACD. It brings a tear to my eye every time she starts to sing 'Yesterday Once More'. I really enjoy this SACD and the sonics and surround prompt me to give it a solid 9.

I actually thought I had opined on this one, but it is a 10 for me, despite not being a fan of the "non hit" songs of the Carpenters. The clarity is scary good. You can hear Karen's lips smack in some cases as well as her breathing. I attribute the smacking to overuse of lip gloss, it was the 70s after all. One of my favorite tracks is "Top of the World." Such a happy song about the joys of love with flawless, layered vocals, steel guitar, piano and a catchy bass. It's always been this crazy combination of country and Lawrence Welk, but it is one of two songs that I can think of which always lift my spirits, the other being Benny Goodman's "Avalon." Highly recommended. For those concerned about such things, you don't have to tell anyone that you own this. Just enjoy it when no one else is around. And if you should pass away and family were to discover your little secret, stowed perhaps in the back of a closet with some magazines, well it wouldn't be the first that's happened I'm sure.

you don't have to tell anyone that you own this. Just enjoy it when no one else is around. And if you should pass away and family were to discover your little secret, stowed perhaps in the back of a closet with some magazines, well it wouldn't be the first that's happened I'm sure.
:ROFLMAO: Hilarious...!

Back