CARS DEBUT ALBUM ON DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

moose8

I THOUGHT THE CARS 1ST ALBUM WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ON DVD AUDIO 2/25? ANYONE KNOW?

Robin Hurley, the DVD-A producer, told me on Feb 12:

"- The Cars disc is coming on, although slow. It will be out this year though."

A I also know through another source, that they are still putting together the photo gallery for it...

Why, oh why, oh why are these works being done, completed & then left on the fucking shelf?
Seriously, it's enough to make my cat puke. Which he did yesterday on reading this news.
I will never understand the "logic" of sitting on these when they could all be put out on a nice, universal DVDA with lossless, DTS, Dobly & whatnot so all of the 500,000,000 plus DVD players in the world can access content. Instead, they sit it on the fucking shelf waiting for some mythical "new" format to replace the massive user base already sold & installed.
Or of course to try & sell download content - after all, that is just free money for the labels.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Why, oh why, oh why are these works being done, completed & then left on the fucking shelf?
Seriously, it's enough to make my cat puke. Which he did yesterday on reading this news.
I will never understand the "logic" of sitting on these when they could all be put out on a nice, universal DVDA with lossless, DTS, Dobly & whatnot so all of the 500,000,000 plus DVD players in the world can access content. Instead, they sit it on the fucking shelf waiting for some mythical "new" format to replace the massive user base already sold & installed.
Or of course to try & sell download content - after all, that is just free money for the labels.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

It isn't nearly as complicated as you try to make it. I don't know the specifics of this particular title or if the mix was completed or if there were problems that precluded the release. It could be any number of issues, licensing, quality, market potential analysis or who knows. I do know that despite over a half billion DVD-V players in the world, the average DVD-A release sold a few thousand copies after around 1,500 or so titles released. It is after all a business and simple business factors rule. The simple fact here is that most companies that gave DVD-A a chance to catch on have nothing to show for their efforts after a few years and have moved on. Whether or not spending the necessary amount and releasing this particular title on DVD-A could have resulted in the additional costs being recovered is unknown, but I doubt it. We can hope for a packaged media product or download method that makes sense for this release and the efforts getting it ready won't be in vain.

Chris

You guys got me all excited when I signed on main page and saw that members were posting stuff about this release. I was also excited years ago when seeing that this was going to be released in surround. Yes very disappointing indeed that this and some other titles have been probably done and just sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I agree with Chris G. that we are in deed in the minority of people that are looking for this stuff as the times have changed. When I see my kids and their friends and music listening habits sure don't see to many people of the younger generation sitting down and just listening through a whole album the way probably many of us at this site did when we were younger and got our first LP and just soaked it in.
There is a chance with proper education that more people might have caught on to the whole surround experience, oh well, at least the album got produced in the first place and I think I'll dig it out and relisten, haven't listened to this one in a while(when it first came out I had this one on major replay, as it instantly became a favorite).

peter

The DCC gold is worth hearing if you can find/afford it (even though it's not surround).

:D

demonoid-logo.jpg

For those with a Sansui, the Cars debut separates very nicely with Vario-Matrix as a consolation.

Rick

I know this has been discussed before but whatever, it still makes me mad! ---> A significant reason in my and many others' opinion is that the labels did practically no advertising for the surround music formats. The only company that did something memorable as far as advertising was Sony with their free sampler sacd in a Rolling Stone magazine (which I bought). On the other end of the marketing scale was something I saw at a Wherehouse Music store: a good number of dvd-audio titles, I guess around 30, sitting in a box labeled with the dvd-audio name and logo, but unfortunately the utilitarian box looked like something "cut out" albums are usually placed in, being made of cardboard & covered with bland artwork. I am sure few people gave it a second glance. :(

And when I saw a TV commercial for the (new at the time) greatest-hits R.E.M. album, which was also available in dvd-audio form, maybe I missed it but during that entire (and probably 2 minute long) advertisement, nowhere did I see one mention of the hi-res/multichannel version. :mad: A huge missed opportunity - stupid!!

And for dvd-audio: those discs contain either a Dolby Digital and/or DTS track compatible with all those millions of dvd-video based systems out there, but I do not recall any OBVIOUS stressing of that useful capability, either in the promotional materials or on the label itself i.e. a sticker applied to the case. So I'm sure most Regular Joe music fans had no clue they could hear multichannel music with a system they already owned, and instead thought they had to buy another player and deal with the hassle of three pairs of interconnects, screwy bass management systems, yada yada. And several times when I encountered someone who had heard of dvd-audio, when I mentioned the DD/DTS backwards compatibility, they said something to the effect that those formats weren't high resolution formats & in turn sounded bad, so why should they buy the disc? Arggh! I had to remind them that dvd *movies* used those same formats and didn't they sound pretty good? They agreed with that, but I wonder how many people are out there that think that same thing and passed up titles they otherwise would have enjoyed.

I know this has been discussed before but whatever, it still makes me mad! ---> A significant reason in my and many others' opinion is that the labels did practically no advertising for the surround music formats. The only company that did something memorable as far as advertising was Sony with their free sampler sacd in a Rolling Stone magazine (which I bought). On the other end of the marketing scale was something I saw at a Wherehouse Music store: a good number of dvd-audio titles, I guess around 30, sitting in a box labeled with the dvd-audio name and logo, but unfortunately the utilitarian box looked like something "cut out" albums are usually placed in, being made of cardboard & covered with bland artwork. I am sure few people gave it a second glance. :(

And when I saw a TV commercial for the (new at the time) greatest-hits R.E.M. album, which was also available in dvd-audio form, maybe I missed it but during that entire (and probably 2 minute long) advertisement, nowhere did I see one mention of the hi-res/multichannel version. :mad: A huge missed opportunity - stupid!!

And for dvd-audio: those discs contain either a Dolby Digital and/or DTS track compatible with all those millions of dvd-video based systems out there, but I do not recall any OBVIOUS stressing of that useful capability, either in the promotional materials or on the label itself i.e. a sticker applied to the case. So I'm sure most Regular Joe music fans had no clue they could hear multichannel music with a system they already owned, and instead thought they had to buy another player and deal with the hassle of three pairs of interconnects, screwy bass management systems, yada yada. And several times when I encountered someone who had heard of dvd-audio, when I mentioned the DD/DTS backwards compatibility, they said something to the effect that those formats weren't high resolution formats & in turn sounded bad, so why should they buy the disc? Arggh! I had to remind them that dvd *movies* used those same formats and didn't they sound pretty good? They agreed with that, but I wonder how many people are out there that think that same thing and passed up titles they otherwise would have enjoyed.

Very sadly this is all true.
The UK ads for REM certainly made no mention whatsoever of any 5.1 versions.
The way that DVDA was torpedoed was nasty beyond logic. It was - and is - the universal format we are all apparently still looking for. Plays on all players in one form or another (done properly) with no new expensive hardware needed (although desirable) and also works in both stereo & 5.1 - this was almost totally ignored, as everyone seems to associate DVDA with expensive equipment & surround. This alienated the stereoheads right off the bat.#
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
But what do we really expect from an industry who uses the greengrocer model?

*PURE SPECULATION AHEAD*

Next year could be the perfect storm.
When considering that the Cars could be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame during the same year as the 40th anniversary of their debut album combined with Warner/Rhino's renewed interest in releasing surround sound mixes, could we finally get the unreleased 5.1 mix of The Cars' debut album next year?!

Hope (and Speculation) Springs Eternal!

;)

Back