Cast Atmos from Amazon app on Android phone to Firestick?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixtyten

So I've bought a Firestick and I've taken the trial subscription out on Amazon Music to trial the Atmos content. And I'm underwhelmed. Not by the Atmos, but by the usability. Amazon Music on the Firestick is, well, not very good, So, I thought, "I'll use the Amazon Music app on my mobile phone to control it, that'll easier" And yeah I can play music, but not any of the Atmos tracks in Atmos from this app when I cast to the Firestick. I only get stereo. I play the same track directly from the firestick and lo I get Atmos.

Couple of things. Yes my amp supports Atmos. And yes the Firestick plays Atmos music, just not when I cast from the phone. Any suggestions (other than throwing the thing in the bin)? I mean is it even doable? The Amazon support thing is vague, suspiciously so. Any advice?

As my brief dalliance with Amazon Music comes to an end, I'd like to take this opportunity to commend the creators of this service for producing something which, and I don't say this lightly, resides comfortably at the bottom of any equivalent piece of software I've ever used. It makes Jriver's er retro appearance and "dropped off a cliff" learning curve look and feel like something which was co-designed by Bauhaus and Bang & Olufsen. The awful interface, the buggy Android app, the almost wilful lack of support from the supplier, the bloatware you're forced to navigate through on the firestick, the unending updates, and the cherry on top, the albums marked as Atmos which have a single Atmos track. And so to quote noted polymath and philosopher, Phil Oakey "I only knew you for a while. I never saw your smile, til it was time to go, time to go away"

I can't believe that after only 6 days I'm already being wistful about Amazon Music and the fun times we had together. I installed Tidal. I subscribed. I unsubscribed a couple of hours later. Why can't I control the firestick tidal from my mobile phone? Why am I forced to use the awful search options (using an onscreen keyboard)? Why doesn't the voice search work? (Running Tidal, used the voice search for Vangelis, found a Vangelis documentary on Amazon Prime and nothing else.) Why does the Tidal app on Windows not support Atmos via HDMI, why can't I cast Tidal Atmos content to my Tidal account on the firestick from my mobile phone? Am I missing something? It's utterly dreadful.

Back