Cat Stevens “TEASER & THE FIRECAT” 50th Anniversary SDE

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The write up specifically says that Cat is not interested in a surround mix, therefore I am not interested in Cat's product.

its his work to do whatever he likes with of course but i think with that dismissive attitude he just lost me as a consumer (all over again i've already got all this stuff anyway!) of his old music.

somebody (SW?) should enlighten him as to how good Surround music can be by doing a couple of demo 5.1 mixes for him and see if he changes his mind!

Edit: Hang on, it doesn't explicitly say he isn't interested, just its implied because there's no Surround included.. maybe the Quad tapes are missing, or some necessary multitrack elements to do a 5.1, rather than he outright doesn't care or just doesn't want to do some Surround? 🤔

19F41743-889F-4CDD-A1CA-9CC5CF4D68C8.jpeg

Last edited:
No multichannel or quads included in the set, then I'll pass. I already have the "audiophile" pressings of both "Teaser And The Firecat" and "Tea For The Tillerman". The Q8 of "Tea For The Tillerman", (that many don't like, but I do). I also have a limited edition CD of "Teaser And The Firecat". I have no real need nor desire for the bonus material either.

That’s a little too steep for me, if it doesn’t have a 5.1 mix.But I sure would like to hear the album again. Were there ever any great sounding CD releases?

Anyway, I digress. The fact is that many of these deluxe super editions are great, and most of them I end up getting, especially if there is a surround track included. But the real truth to the tale is this. I end up playing the thing, marvel at the quality (at least the part I can still hear), briefly glance at the "extra stuff", extract the 5.1 for the car, then put the thing away. AND NEVER TAKE IT BACK OUT AGAIN!

This is true for me as well, but I blame A) Being into computers and B) Being retired.

When I worked and had a commute I could do via public transit, I was compulsively literate: There was nothing better to do on the bus than read, and boy did I ever! The downside of that was feeling no obligation to do so at home, so once I could no longer commute by bus/light rail I turned into an illiterate.

I also used to watch a LOT more movies, but when I got my first computer in late 1990, it seemed like that's where all my attention went and, over 30 years later (!!!!!) that hasn't really changed.

Likewise, when I was chained to an employer's desk in a noisy office for far too many hours in a week, my survival strategy was headphones and music. So I wound up playing a lot of stuff repeatedly and getting to know it because the alternative was trying to get my job done while being distracted by endless inane chatter.

Nowadays there are endless streaming options and instant access to a ton of interesting albums right at our fingertips and it just takes something really, really special to truly break through all the mental and musical clutter.

OK, I had to go for the CD/Blu Ray edition as this is one of my top five, wait...top three albums. In fact, a few days before the Covid event closed down the UK I had an absolute treat at a charity concert in London where Cat and Rick Wakeman played Morning Has Broken together for the first time since the day it was recorded (except the rehearsal apparently)....and to reiterate....I was there! Can't tell you how utterly enthralling it was to experience this moment in music history...and available on YouTube if you are interested:

So, as a result there is no way I could not acquire this super deluxe version but I am mystified as to why an analogue recording has arrived on a blu ray at 24/48 when 24/192 is easily accommodated and would be the right level of quality for this album? Seems the message on high res is really hard to get through to those with their hand on the tiller....!

OK, I had to go for the CD/Blu Ray edition as this is one of my top five, wait...top three albums. In fact, a few days before the Covid event closed down the UK I had an absolute treat at a charity concert in London where Cat and Rick Wakeman played Morning Has Broken together for the first time since the day it was recorded (except the rehearsal apparently)....and to reiterate....I was there! Can't tell you how utterly enthralling it was to experience this moment in music history...and available on YouTube if you are interested:

So, as a result there is no way I could not acquire this super deluxe version but I am mystified as to why an analogue recording has arrived on a blu ray at 24/48 when 24/192 is easily accommodated and would be the right level of quality for this album? Seems the message on high res is really hard to get through to those with their hand on the tiller....!

So…have you heard the Blu-Ray yet?
Would like to hear your impressions 👂🏼

Back